FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which SDHD Card To Use

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julian Coleman
Which SDHD Card To Use
on Dec 3, 2009 at 7:21:40 pm

Hi have just purchased a GY-HM700 & GY-HM100 and have read so many reports about which brand SDHD card to purchase. As an event videographer I want to ensure that what I use is from recommendation. Therefore I am asking to establish what is the most popular and trusted brand to purchase.
Many thanks in advance.

Julian Coleman A.M.Inst.V.

Return to posts index

Ryan Mast
Re: Which SDHD Card To Use
on Dec 3, 2009 at 10:16:00 pm

Hi Julian,

I use the SanDisk Extreme SDHC cards with my HM700:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820171378

Really, any class 6 card will work with the camera; a class 10 card will not necessarily work "better," but it will make offloading footage go faster, provided you have a good card reader. You'll also need to make sure the HM700's firmware is upgraded to the most recent version to use the class 10 card, and you'll need a class 6 card to load the firmware before you can use the class 10 card.

Return to posts index

alan hotchkiss
on Jan 12, 2010 at 7:58:46 pm

Ryan,

Do yo find newegg.com to be the most aggressive in pricing? I noticed that they are out of this particular brand. Suppose I could just shop around but have limited time. Also, I noticed other people using brands not endorsed by the JVC manual. Any thoughts on this?

Al @ Pixel Max

Return to posts index

Charlie Cogar
on Dec 3, 2009 at 10:43:58 pm

Julian,

I use 2 Panasonic 16gb SDHC cards and 2 RiData 16gb SDHC cards in our 700s cameras. Both have consistenttly performed without any problems.

Charlie Cogar

Return to posts index

Lou Caputo
on Dec 6, 2009 at 2:41:24 am

We've been using Transcend cards in our 100 & 700 with no problems.

Return to posts index

Julian Coleman
on Dec 6, 2009 at 6:02:48 pm

Gents - thank you so much for your responses which I appreceiate. I got MH-100 on Friday and the 700 is due to arrive some time this week and cannot wait.

Return to posts index

Charlie Cogar
JVC 100 & 700 Cams
on Dec 7, 2009 at 2:46:51 pm

Julian,

Be sure to keep this users group up-to-date on your experiences with your new cameras. We've been sharing lots of great info on the ins' n outs and we're still learning.

Regards,

Charlie Cogar

Return to posts index

Julian Coleman
Re: JVC 100 & 700 Cams
on Dec 7, 2009 at 4:02:12 pm

Charlie, yes of course I will - nothing like sharing information.

This morning I used the HM100 for the first time on a shoot (still waiting for the 700 to arrive) and I was totally amazed how good this camera really is. Well, all I have to compare it with is my old GY-HD100.

This ease of use and quality is superb and the thought had entered my mind about cancelling the 700 and getting another 100. But I still want the larger camera. I always had low light issues and now they have gone. Filming started at 7am lasting 1hr and did not need any additional lighting nor did I need any gain assistance. Previously I would have required my on camera light and to have gain. What a difference it makes not needing a light.

I shot everything in 720p and have just reviewed the footage on a 50' plasma - WOW!

The only issue I had was controlling the speed of the zoom control and need to play more with and get use to it. Other than this I really believe that I have made the best choice and investment and cannot wait for the 700 to arrive later in the week - I hope!

I'm filming more throughout the week and then the main event is next Monday. I will let you know how it all went.

Return to posts index

Julian Coleman
Re: JVC 100 & 700 Cams
on Dec 13, 2009 at 11:27:40 pm

I got my HM700 on Friday however not had much time to familiarise myself with it although the layout is very similar to my old HD100.

Tomorrow night will be my first shoot with it and I'm hoping that I've correctly setup what needed setting up. Really looking forward to working with the 2 cameras from now on.

I also invested in a Steadicam Merlin for use with the HM100 and have spent a lot more of my time with this setting it up and then practicing. I'm fairly confident to use it tomrrow night but also know that I have a lot more practicing to do.

Will keep you posted on my progress.

By the wat - seriously thinking of investing in the Rode NTG-3 with the Blimp offer. Any thoughts? I start shooting a documentary in January and believe that it will come into its own for this. I currently have the NTG-2.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]