FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using a JVC Everio GZ-MS120AU for Stop Motion Animation

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake Theriault
Using a JVC Everio GZ-MS120AU for Stop Motion Animation
on Nov 24, 2009 at 5:29:39 am

Hi, my name's Jake Theriault and I produce moderate quality CGI/lego animations for a hobby. I am 16 years old, and I have been doing lego stopmotion since I was 13. Back then, I used a digital camera with windows movie maker.

Just recently, I purchased a JVC Everio GZ-MS120AU Camcorder for $240 at a local target. I bought it because i need a capture device that can be used to get live video feed to use in conjunction with any frame grabber software.

I have tried so many different frame grabber software's, but they all CAN'T DETECT MY JVC EVERIO CAMCORDER.

I have tried:
Stopmotion Station
Stopmotion Pro
MonkeyJam
AnimatorDV

and a few more. They ALL did NOT detect my JVC Everio camcorder as a capture device.

I really need to know whats going on and what frame grabber software will work in conjunction with a JVC Everio Camcorder.

(And yes, I know that it's possible to capture still frames with the Everio but I don't want to do that, I want complete control over the live video feed.)

If anyone could help, that would be awesome.
Thanks in advance,
-JT

Return to posts index

Chris Deutsch
Re: Using a JVC Everio GZ-MS120AU for Stop Motion Animation
on Nov 25, 2009 at 9:07:03 pm

I work for JVC and would like to try and help.

I need to tell you I am not at all familiar with the frame grabber software you are describing. But, I do believe that solving this will depend on how you are connecting.

If you are connecting via USB it will not work. As soon as you connect via USB, the camcorder is designed to essentially become an external storage device on whatever you have connected it to.

Your best bet is to find a device that can accept a A/V input (the yellow video and white/red audio RCA connectors) from the camcorder. I know that Pinnacle makes a device that does this for traditional video editing, but I cannot tell you if it is adaptable to what you are trying to do.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

Return to posts index

Jake Theriault
on Nov 27, 2009 at 11:50:36 pm

Chris, thanks so much for your answer. Near as I can tell, this Everio doesn't have an A/V connector, so I guess my best bet is to take it back and search for another. I still want to get a JVC cam though.

Since you work for JVC, could you give me any recommendations based what I want the camera to be capable of?

Thanks in advance, chris!

Return to posts index

Chris Deutsch
on Dec 2, 2009 at 6:59:05 pm

Hi Jake,

The camcorder does have an A/V output connector. It is a mini-plug connector (looks like an earphone plug) that is right under the screen.

The A/V cable is in the box. It has three plugs--yellow, white & red. The yellow one is your video. Connect it from your camcorder to your capture device and you should be good to go.

Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]