FORUMS: list search recent posts

the 700 and 24p

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Gallagher
the 700 and 24p
on Nov 12, 2009 at 9:22:48 pm

Let me start by saying that I have shot a lot of film in my day and know all about the limitations of shooting at 24FPS. But, this JVC700 is the first video camera that I have had that shoots at 24p. My problem is that my images look like I have some kind of strobe effect on. Movement within the frame is jerky which becomes magnified when panning. I am shooting at 720/24pHQ with the shutter at 1/48 and the strobing is easily visible in the viewfinder as well as the lcd. When I even put the shutter on auto (which should be 1/48) still strobing. I have gone through the menus a dozen times trying to find some setting I have weird but to no avail. I am looking for motion blur not motion strobe in a 24p camera setting. Am I asking too much? I have seen some beautiful footage shot at 24p with video cameras with nice smooth motion. I am hoping this is operator error and not a limitation of the camera. Thanks for your help.
cheers
K

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
Re: the 700 and 24p
on Nov 13, 2009 at 6:49:46 pm

You weren't shooting under fluorescent lights by chance, were you?

Return to posts index

Ryan Mast
on Nov 13, 2009 at 6:56:55 pm

Can you post a clip?

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Nov 17, 2009 at 10:35:07 pm

Here's a link to some video footage from my JVC GY-HD110U. Our emphasis is in getting the video posted ASAP after each service, so I don't take any time for color grading. We haven't tackled our lighting yet, so it's not the best, but I think the camera does really well considering.

http://www.fwcflorence.com/wordofGod/seetheword.php

(Vimeo has been having some jerky video playback issues lately.)

Return to posts index

Kevin Gallagher
on Nov 13, 2009 at 8:54:49 pm

No, no fluorescent lights. I will have time to get a clip by monday or so.

thanks

Return to posts index

Marcello Mazzilli
on Nov 17, 2009 at 5:49:47 pm

Can somebody tell me if there is a difference in motion with 1/3 cameras in progressive mode compared to bigger CCD cameras? I mean... does the size of the ccd count when speaking about jitter on progressive footage?

siRoma di Marcello Mazzilli
Corporate video productions in Italy
http://www.siroma.com

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Nov 17, 2009 at 10:37:11 pm

I don't think there's much of a difference from 1/3 to 1/2. I think most of the motion problems come from cameras that use CMOS sensors. CCDs seem to do quite a bit better.

Return to posts index

Eric West
on Jan 7, 2010 at 4:14:00 am

Do you find a fix to the problem? I just receive our 700 and I would have the same comments about a strobe like feel in 24p. It's not just in the viewfinder, I see it when loaded to FCP or just in Quicktime.

Return to posts index

Raymond Singer
on Dec 12, 2009 at 12:52:58 am

You don't say whether the strobing effect is present in the footage, only on the LCD and through the viewfinder. In my experience, most viewfinders and LCDs stutter when panning at 24fps but the footage looks fine. Can you upload some footage?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]