FORUMS: list search recent posts

Would you buy your GY-HM700 again?

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lou Caputo
Would you buy your GY-HM700 again?
on Oct 21, 2009 at 1:25:13 pm

My company is moving from HDV to HD and we're looking at several cameras, including the Panasonic HVX200A and the JVC GY-HM700. I love the workflow of the 700, the form factor and the lenses. I might wait till NAB to see what happens, but in the meantime, if you had to do all over again, would you go with the 700?

Return to posts index

Lou Caputo
Re: Would you buy your GY-HM700 again?
on Oct 22, 2009 at 10:39:32 am

No one wants to comment? Either we're all really busy or this does not bode well for this camera. C'mpn folks!

Return to posts index

Jon Leyse
on Oct 24, 2009 at 1:48:21 am

Lou,

I would buy this camera again. I really like the image, the form factor, the workflow and the price of the media. There are a few things I miss like interval recording, the ability to record in 4:3 and SD and a 1/2" CCD would be nice. I looked long and hard at the Panasonic HPX 300 and the Sony EX3 but felt the JVC was the best bang for the buck. While each camera has it strengths and weaknesses, I have not regretted my choice.
Feel free to contact me if you have specific questions.
Now back to all the shooting and editing that is keeping everyone else away.

Thanks
Jon

jon@crash31.com
260-223-1922

Jon Leyse
Crash 31, LLC
http://www.crash31.com

Return to posts index

Lou Caputo
on Oct 24, 2009 at 4:40:48 am

Thanks for the response Jon. We're looking at the HPX 300 too, but I'm liking the media costs associated with the JVC 700 more and more. We a have a demo scheduled in weeks, so we should have a better idea what we want to do after that. It is reassuring though to hear that a current owner such as yourself is still satisfied with your purchase AND making money.

Return to posts index

Jeff Heck
on Nov 2, 2009 at 1:13:54 pm

Yes, I would buy it again. Workflow is great. I too wish SD was a more viable option, but that's about the only drawback I really have. It's a workhorse with great images. Easy to set up, save a ton with media costs.

Jeff Heck
NaJor Productions
Indianapolis

Return to posts index

Charlie Cogar
on Nov 4, 2009 at 4:06:21 pm

Yes, I too can recommend re-purchase of the 700. We're using two, each equipped with the FujinonTh17X5BRMU lens and performance is great.

I think its center of gravity is better than our JVC100s making handheld/cradled and on-the-shoulder shooting easier.

I shoot at 720p and the SDHC cards are economical and speed up the workflow.

Keep us posted on your purchase decision.

(Is anyone using the 700 on a Steadicam?)

Charlie Cogar

Return to posts index

Lou Caputo
on Nov 6, 2009 at 3:34:46 am

Thanks for the responses guys. We had a rep come out a demo a 700 for us the other day and now we're considering purchasing two, one with the SXS media recorder on it ( as an option should a client want SXS). I've got to say, we were VERY impressed by the ease of workflow and the image quality at both 720p and 1080p. I think it's a winner and the low cost media makes it a"no brainer" for us in these times of format indecision.

I'll let you know what happens, and if anyone else has any thoughts, please post them!

Return to posts index

Lou Caputo
on Nov 6, 2009 at 9:34:36 pm

Well, I'm going to bite the bullet and buy TWO GY-HM700's! One is the rep's demo unit with SXS media recorder and the second will be a brand new camera. Best of all, I'm saving $1500 off of the best price I could find online, which is nice coming from a local rep versus the big guys on the internet. We're working out the details now, but it looks like this deal is happening!

Return to posts index

Charlie Cogar
on Nov 6, 2009 at 10:23:35 pm

I hope it works out as well for you as it has for us. Did you happen to discuss Steadicam at all? A Pilot was bought for our 700s and doesn't seem to be the correct model. Any thoughts based on your discussions?

Thanks,

Charlie Cogar

Return to posts index

Lou Caputo
on Nov 8, 2009 at 3:38:42 am

We haven't even thought that far yet. We were using a Glidecam V8 with our Z1U, but I always felt as though the camera was too light. With the 700 weighing 8 lbs, it's double the heft of the Z1U, so I think it might fly better. The V8 works up to 10 lbs, so even with the battery we should be okay.

Return to posts index

Charlie Cogar
Steadicam & the GY-HM700
on Nov 9, 2009 at 2:38:54 pm

The Steadicam Pilot was bought for the 700 but the cam is too heavy. It may be because it came with the Fujinon 17X lens which brings total weight to #10 11.5 oz. and the Pilot won't balance. We removed the Anton Bauer cam batt which weighs #1 11.8 oz and ran the 700 from the Pilot monitor batt but it's still too heavy.

(Steadicam doesn't loan, demo or buy back rigs, so if you know anyone . . . ) We also have the older JVC GY-HD100 camera which the Steadicam applications guide says is the top limit for the Pilot. I have the 100 workable on it, but the intent was to use the Steadicam with the new 700. The issue remains unresolved, and if anyone has any advice it would be welcome.

Thanks,

Charlie Cogar

Return to posts index

Shannon Shaw
on Dec 3, 2009 at 9:08:22 pm

Talk about freaky deja vu! I have been researching to purchase 2 High Def cameras and media and my top 2 favorites were also the JVC GY-HM700u and the Panasonic HVX-200a!!!

That's just too weird because I had my eye on the Panasonic HPX-300!! My distaste for P2 cards squashed that one.

I talked with a sales rep from B&H photo for over an hour and I am STILL having to do some more research and maybe even look at other cameras. So, I'm still unsure of what I'll be doing. AT this exact moment, i'm leaning toward HM700u b/c of the SDHC media!! And the HVX-200a in conjunction with a portable recorder called the CITIDESK-HD-500.
I am only an amateur movie maker, so using the P2 cards right now will not in my accepted budget, maybe in 2 years when prices drop. However, I have to continue to research... spending around $13,000 on cameras and accessories is going to be a HUGE purchase for an AMATEUR MOVIE MAKER. But, might as well, while I can! (Well, those and an xbox 360!)
A Steadicam for the Hm700u and a Brevis35mm kit MAY be in the plans. I have to lock down which the cameras first.

Well, good luck, everyone.

Return to posts index

Charlie Cogar
on Dec 3, 2009 at 10:40:50 pm

Shannon,

Holler when you take delivery of your 700 cams. I'm really pleased with ours, but be sure to read my post dated Nov. 9th regarding Steadicam before you proceed on that portion.

Kind regards,

Charlie Cogar

Return to posts index

Lou Caputo
on Dec 6, 2009 at 2:45:01 am

Well, I started this thread an we've bought two 700's and a 100, so I guess I can answer my own question now...yes, I would. So far so good.

Regarding your purchase of a 700 as an amateur film maker...you might want to consider the GY-HM100 instead. It's smaller, lighter and has a shorter learning curve, not to mention that you can use less expensive batteries, tripods and steadicam, etc.

Return to posts index

Shannon Shaw
on Dec 6, 2009 at 7:01:24 am

I was thinking along the lines of using the HVX-200a as a SECONDARY camera
-- for the few times when 2 people are having a (mostly ad-libbed) conversation, 1 camera cu per person = 2 shots, 1 take, and quicker time to accomplish; in lieu of filming the conversation twice for 2nd coverage shot/angle, which pretty much defeats the ad-libbing aspect.
-- An added bonus was several dozen people have stated the HVX200a makes green-screen chroma keying a breeze!!
But, alas, as a secondary camera, I thought it would be a quick and small camera to use for such purposes that doesn't require as much constant manual operation to do such tasks when needed. (Assuming I pull a Tarintino or K. Smith and keep the camera locked down, instead of the always subtly moving Michael Bay techniques).
Whew!, got to babbling there, but back to my main thought:

I wanted to use the HM700 as my primary camera, to be used 90% of the time solo. I'm 80s old school and much prefer/miss the Large SHOULDER-MOUNTED cameras. I also prefer/LOVE the big detachable lenses that have manual rings where I can independently adjust the zoom, focus, and iris myself.
The initial $10 to $15g price range for those 2 cameras doesn't concern me as much as being sure i'm getting the right camera.
I am currently researching the recording media aspect and have come to find the DVCPRO HD format is my favorite (INTRA-FRAME and 4:2:2 being the key factors!!!!) I'd prefer to work with SDHC cards, but, as in the case of the 200a, i'll be using the Citidisk Recorder for that cam until the P2 media drops in 2 to 5 years (Panasonic 64 GB E-Series, wishfully, to $150 by then).
Researching the AVC-Intra FORMAT, AVC-Ultra, and others are contenders instead of the DVCOPro HD that I have a rage for.

My Absolute, perfect DREAM camera would be the HVX200a but using SDHC cards instead of P2, and a Shoulder-mounted version of that exact model. :) Well, those and a 2/3" chip would be nice (albeit raising the price tag, which I would gladly pay for those 3 features). End babbling rant.

Return to posts index

Lou Caputo
on Dec 6, 2009 at 9:35:56 pm

why not use the GY-HM700 as your A camera and the HM100 as your B camera? that way your shooting on the same media and might have a better chance of the cameras somewhat matching.

Return to posts index

Shannon Shaw
on Dec 6, 2009 at 11:32:06 pm

I'll seriously look into that considering the hm100u is basically the junior version of the hm700u, and, like you said, shooting on same media.
I was a bit worried that, while inter-cuting during editing, the different size chips ( 1/3 for 700u, 1/4 for 100u) would drastically affect the quality of the pictures. But, after some research, it seems to still be a good pairing.
For the JVC pair, I would probably even give up the ease and frame-accurateness of intra-frame editing - 1 of 2 on my vital wish-list, however,...

I am revisited by item 2 of 2 on my vital wish-list: recording at 4:2:2 color sampling. I will be doing a LOT of chroma-key work, some of it no where near a pc or laptop for hd-sdi output.

I am now seriously looking into Panasonic hvx200a paired with hpx300; hoping against hope that in 5 years, I can get 8 hours of FULL RASTER recording in the $1200 to $2000 ballpark out of (multiple, hi-capacity) P2 cards for each camera (a grand total of 16 hours worth for $2400 to $4000).

Shesh! If I would've spent as much time researching in college as I am on this important purchase, i'm sure I wouldn't have dropped out!!

Return to posts index

kevin dauernheim
on Aug 5, 2012 at 6:51:42 pm

I would buy this camera again in a heartbeat!! It's solid-reliable and the footage looks amazing especially on Blu-ray. The dual hot swap-able SD cards is what really does it for me. I have a great 17-1 lense and the better viewfinder. I just purchased a fisheye from B&H and I'm lovin' the camera even more. Everyone is moving to DSLR but it will take a lot of changes with those cameras to make me move over. I'm hoping JVC comes out with a 50MB version of the 700.
Kevin-PM Video,Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]