FORUMS: list search recent posts

JVC GYHM700 creates multiple clips for long takes. Any way to change that?

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Popolo
JVC GYHM700 creates multiple clips for long takes. Any way to change that?
on Oct 16, 2009 at 3:46:49 pm

Hi,
I do multi-camera shoots for long events (hour or so continuous filming). When the 700 creates the MOV files, it breaks the footage up into different files, each about 3.45GB in size (about 20 minutes each, giving the flie number an addendum, like _1, _2, etc).
Normally not a big deal, but when I use the multi-cam editing function in FCP, there's a problem at the beginning and end of these multi-clip segments, since the breaks are not in the same spot among the cameras, leaving me with extensive workarounds.

I have checked the menus and manual, but haven't found how to change this in the camera, if possible.
Is there a way to increase the size of the file to keep each clip to be the full duration of the camera take?
BTW, I have tried to nest the clips in FCP, but FCP does not recognize them as "clips" (it sees them as sequences) so it won't let me make a multi-cam clip.

Thanks
Anthony

Return to posts index

Marcello Mazzilli
Re: JVC GYHM700 creates multiple clips for long takes. Any way to change that?
on Oct 19, 2009 at 3:55:39 pm

No it's not possible... This is due to limitations of the formatting system of the cards (I think is Fat32).. so files cannot be bigger than 4Gb. You need to make precomp and sinc.

siRoma di Marcello Mazzilli
Corporate video productions in Italy
http://www.siroma.com

Return to posts index

Anthony Popolo
on Oct 19, 2009 at 6:08:04 pm

Thank you.
Can you explain "precomp and sync"?

Anthony

Return to posts index

Marcello Mazzilli
on Oct 19, 2009 at 6:16:46 pm

Where? I have PRE-REC and CLIP CONTINUOS (when talking about Camera Recording Options)...

PRE-REC enables you to record three seconds before you actually thougt of recording (this because it records in "ram" and writes to disk if you press the rec button).
CLIP CONTINUOS (i neve used) creates one big clip even if you stop recording avery time.. so you'll find your self at the end with a single file (like when you capture footage from a DV or HDV tape)

I don't know if it was here you were referring

M

Return to posts index

Anthony Popolo
on Oct 19, 2009 at 6:37:31 pm

Thanks. I was referring to your first response to my first question. You used the phrase "precomp and sinc". I don't know what that is?

Anthony

Return to posts index

Marcello Mazzilli
on Oct 19, 2009 at 6:45:32 pm

ops.. sorry.. Ok.. I meant that you create different timelines where you put together the footage and then you create an extra timeline in where you sincronize the other ones using the multicamera function in Final cut... I was using "Aftter FX language".. I don't know much about Final Cut.. but I think the multicamera function in FC is quite limited giving you the ability only to sincronize the first frame.. so by acting this way you can make it easier. That's all.. Sorry for confusion

Return to posts index

Anthony Popolo
on Oct 19, 2009 at 7:43:02 pm

I see.
Yes, in FCP, i can make a multiclip with different camera angles, but I run into trouble near the end of the clip where one camera's clip ends before the other (because of the limited file size)... Then the next clip has a staggered in point as well. I tried to "nest" the smaller clips together (i think similar to what you are talking about in AE), but when I nest the clips together, I can't make a multiclip with a nested clip in FCP (FCP can't apply "clip" properties to "nested sequences".
But thanks for your help!
Anthony.

Return to posts index

Marcello Mazzilli
on Oct 19, 2009 at 7:51:46 pm

Mmm .. though FC could handle nested clips also in Multicamera mode.. then.. you just have to render in Pro-Res the n timelines you have and use the prores files in multicam mode
M

Return to posts index

Anthony Popolo
on Oct 19, 2009 at 7:55:46 pm

I only tried briefly to multiclip a nest. Maybe FCP can multiclip nests. I will investigate it further. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Charlie Cogar
Uh Oh
on Oct 20, 2009 at 4:07:26 pm

Does anyone know if it's possible to "undelete" clips that were accidentally deleted from an SDHC card?

Thank you.

Charlie Cogar

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]