FORUMS: list search recent posts

GY-HD111 & Lens adapters

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Steward
GY-HD111 & Lens adapters
on Sep 16, 2009 at 1:21:20 pm

Dear All,
I have a question, of which there seems to be no real answer so I thought I might ask you trusted Cow-folk as really its the only opinion that seems to be experianced.. and dare I say trusted.

I'm the proud owner of a GY-HD111(e) and one of the key reasons I bought it was because of the interchangable lens system (actually a speculative 'For when I'm ready for more lenses')

So now I'm ready to start using better lenses, and as I start to hunt around I find posts about Letus and Redrock lens adaptors being wonderful. Ok, so I was sold.. I was going to buy the Micro Encor Indy bundle but then it occured to me - this actually goes on the front of my existing lens!

So whats the point in a removable lens if this is the best option? And logically how can this be the best option? Any ideas, or experiances one way or the other would be helpful. I know all the usual 'depth of field ' tricks with the standard lens and I'm absolutly sure that I want to start using more lenses. I'm just unsure which is truely the way to go.

Many thanks (and thanks for reading such a legnthy, and relativly humourless post!)

Gary

Return to posts index

Leo Baker
Re: GY-HD111 & Lens adapters
on Sep 16, 2009 at 2:30:21 pm

Hello Gary,

I use the Redrock setup all the time, it does not have a relay adaptor so you cant screw the Redrock onto the lens mount direct. So you have to use the Stock Fujinon lens on the JVC to then attach onto the Redrock Cine adaptor. I admit it makes the camera very long and heavy to hold with the stock lens attatched as well.

It's a great combination both product JVC and Redrock, I am sure you will be pleased with them.

Let me know if I can help you further on any setups questions.

Thanks,

Leo

Return to posts index

Gary Steward
on Sep 16, 2009 at 2:38:39 pm

Thanks for your reply Leo. I must admit the Redrock has always been on my 'I really want' list - and now the Indy Bundle (with flip module because I dont want to turn my monitor upside down) seems to be perfect for what I want.

Not too concerned about the weight... if anything it'll help smooth out moves which benifits my 24p filming. Do you think there is any better substitue for the stock lens to go between the camera and adaptor - I'm just thinking about reducing the overall legnth...

Return to posts index

Johnny Clark
on Sep 16, 2009 at 2:55:00 pm

I talked with Dennis at Cinevate a while back and he said they were looking into a 1/3 relay.
In my opinion the rig you suggest is totally huge and not easy for one man to operate.

Going through the stock lens is mediocre at best. Yes you obtain shallow DoF but it's a pain. The problem is, once you use the rig fully tricked out, you'll love the picture quality but you'll find you need many other accessories to really make it work like you want it to. For example, you'll need: Portable HD monitor to focus from, preferably mounted on the camera, since you probably won't be able to reach the 35mm lens on the very front you may need a follow focus, hefty tripod, cases, more lighting (since you'll lose with the stock lens zoomed and the adaptor 3-5 stops of light), and good 35mm glass.

By the time you get all of this you'll have spent way more than you want to. I'll be the first to admit that adding DoF to your image is priceless, getting it to work the way you want it to is costly and burdensome.
If you were mounting to say an HVX/HMC or smaller camera, it's way more manageable, but with the HD110 it'll be a huge rocket launcher. I don't mean to rain down on adaptors with the JVC cameras but I've tried it and this is how I feel about it.

Return to posts index

Leo Baker
on Sep 16, 2009 at 3:01:59 pm

Hello Gary,

I am not sure of any relay lens to fit from the 1/3rd inch from the JVC to the Redrock Micro Cine adaptor. I am looking for something similar as it gets very, very big with the stock lens and you will get tired very soon so look intothe Shoulder pad and dual hand grips to balance things out a bit better.

Thanks,

Leo

Return to posts index

Leo Baker
on Sep 16, 2009 at 3:14:54 pm

Hello Gary,

Forget to ask are you filming by yourself or with a team? As the operation using this sort of setup with the Cinema adaptor gets a bit more involved Focus Puller, DOP, you would need a follow focus and HD LCD monitor. Ikan do a pretty good monitor. The Composite out from the JVC into a Composite in on the Teletest monitor looks awful form the HD down conversion from the camera when in 1280 mode. Impossible to use, so I went wit hthe Analogue out form the camera into the IKAN Component in.

Thanks,

Leo

Return to posts index

Gary Steward
on Sep 17, 2009 at 8:01:53 am

Dear Leo and Johnny,
Firstly, thanks for all comments and advice, all are much appreciated!

I've just finished shooting a pilot for a sitcom using the stock lens, and while I was relativly happy with the results (after much lighting boosts) I had to complelely discount the 'fake DOF' trick of zooming in becuase we didnt have a great deal of space in a lot of situations.

Now because it was a sitcom, this isnt so much of a problem, even more so because its premier will be on the web (not a plug for it.. just talking about the delivery lol).
Next year however, we want to shoot a full feature film, and I want as much as possible to get that cinematic look. We will have a larger crew (and anyone in the NW of England area reading this can email me and I can let you know of spots still open), and although I have some experiance in focus pulling I'll be training someone to fill the roll, and I also have a nice HD monitor for keeping an eye on focus etc (cheers mum and dad!!!).

Having looked at the Redrock forums some people have posted pictures of their rigs and they look huge, and what I find most interesting is that they ALL talk about the size, gadgets and gizmos without mentioning the actual image quality. I'm not wanting an adaptor to make my camera look great, only because I want better images more suited to a film (that potentially could have a film print made)

It seems, given the size, that a 1/3 relay is really important and I get the feeling that this is going to be costly (someone on the Redrock Forum paid $2000 for a custom made one).

Although I'm probably not going to start buying equipment (whatever that may be) until dec/jan it seems I'll have to look long and hard for the solution.

Just as a matter of interest, what are you guys using? And more importantnly whats the image quality like?

Many thanks!

Gary

Return to posts index

Leo Baker
on Sep 17, 2009 at 10:07:47 am

Hello Gary,

The image qulaity does not improve, you are just getting the Depth of Field associated with a film camera using the 35mm SLR lenses.

Gary, send me your email address and I can send you some samples.

leo@syncfilms.com

Thanks,

Leo

Return to posts index

Johnny Clark
on Sep 17, 2009 at 3:32:22 pm

I would say if you want a nice DoF buy a Canon 7D and a fast prime.It's the cheapest, high quality solution there is. The DoF adaptor market is currently dying because of DSLR's that shoot HD video and their great low light capabilities and the opportunity to utilize all aspects of the lens (aperture, shutter speed). Every camera has limitations but so do adaptors.

If you want shallow DoF at great quality, I feel the 7D will fit the bill for many users. Of course you'll still have the JVC for run and gun, shoulder mount situations, but the right tool for the job can really make things easier, and in some case cheaper.

This is just my 2 cents before you make a purchase like this. People will continue to use DoF adaptors for a long time to come and I'm not bashing them, I just feel there are newer products that do a great job and offer better picture quality at a smaller more manageable size.

Return to posts index

sarah sher
on Sep 19, 2009 at 11:49:01 pm

I use the P&S Technik mini35c on my JVC GY HD200. Works great! Attaches directly to the camera body, unlike the redrock and letus.

Return to posts index

Gary Steward
on Sep 20, 2009 at 10:40:58 am

Dear All,
Firstly apologies for the late reply - I've been away (nothing too interesting, just a friends short film).
Leo - many thanks I'd be really interested to see some stills.. my email address is: gary_draco@hotmail.com

Sarah- Many thanks for weighing in on this question. I had looked at the
P&S Technik mini35c but as I understood it was vastly more expensive than the other options.. what have your experience with the adapter?

Gary

Return to posts index

Gary Walker
on Sep 22, 2009 at 11:26:49 am

I'm a fellow GY-hd111 owner (and a fellow Gary!) and I have to say that I've had a little experience with both the Letus and the SGblade. One thing that you really cant account enough for is the sheer length of you camera after you add extra glass on the front. DOF comes with a huge trade off in terms of size and weight and as good as it looks it increases your production time vastly. DOF is only one part of a production, and I'd advise strongly to look at lighting, set design and well thought out blocking before jumping on the adaptor bandwagon.
That’s not to say that I don’t think that some productions look amazing with the use of adaptors - and I certainly don’t think that its only worth adding adaptors to higher resolution cameras - 720p should be enough to get amazing results, particularly with the HD111.
Unfortunately there's no right or wrong answer, maybe Google Philip Bloom - he has a lot of material on DOF adaptors

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]