FORUMS: list search recent posts

GY-HM700 Recording Format

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Salloum
GY-HM700 Recording Format
on Aug 27, 2009 at 4:36:42 am

I'm a day or two away from potentially ordering two of these cameras with the SxS adapters since we are PC based (Edius). I've been trying to get a straight answer from the people at JVC about my question, but it never seems to be clear. Thus, here's my questions:

1. Can I record MP4 files to the SDHC cards in some or all formats? I heard today that only the SxS cards will record MP4 files.

2. Can we record 1920 x 1080p at 59.94i in the MP4 format? I've gotten two different answers on this from JVC.

3. Is anyone using the SxS adapter to receive SDHC cards because of these problems and if so, has it been a problem recording MP4 in any format?

Thanks in advance for you responses!

Mark

Return to posts index

Chris Mendes
Re: GY-HM700 Recording Format
on Sep 5, 2009 at 4:36:28 am

The HM 700 will record Mp $ Format ( XDCAM EX 35 mb) on the on SDHC Cards in the 2 on board slots as long as you have the SxS card reader box (KMR 100) attached to the back of the camera--the box acts as a dongle enabling this. you do not need to record on SxS cards nor do you need to use An SXS - SDHC card adapter in the Box. Just use the on board slots and set The Camera to Record MP 4 in the menu.

It does 1920 x1080 in the 60 i ( 59.96 i) or in 30 P.

The camera head will do full 1080 P out of the HDSDI Connector to an external device.

Return to posts index

David Shulkin
on Sep 9, 2009 at 12:45:54 pm

Chris:
Have you tried this process of using the SxS adapter and recording to the SD cards? Reading the manual seems that it can only be a "mirrored" record to both SxS and SD cards. I just want to confirm that it indeed works like a dongle as advertised at NAB, but absent in the literature/manuals. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Mark Salloum
on Sep 9, 2009 at 12:53:08 pm

I haven't purchased the cameras because I've been waiting on some answers both here and from JVC. I also am considering the purchase of one 700 and one GY-HM100 as a compliment.

Return to posts index

David Shulkin
on Sep 9, 2009 at 2:10:34 pm

Understood Mark. We've been in demo phase with the EX3, Panasonic 300, and the JVC 700 (last two weeks). We just got the 700 yesterday (no SxS adpapter) and I just went outside and shot some stuff. I heard from my vendor today and he confirmed that the SxS adapter will allow you to record on the SD cards without the need for an SxS card in the adpater. So I feel a little better - but, I still haven't heard from anyone who has actually done this and if the workflow was efficient. We are a mixed house (FCP and Avid) and this camera will be posted 90% of the time on the Avid - so an AMA workflow is desired. Anyway, good luck and keep us posted on how and if you end of buying the cams.

Return to posts index

Mark Salloum
on Sep 9, 2009 at 2:31:11 pm

Thanks for the input David. It appears that you're sampling the same cameras that we experimented with and unfortunately there isn't one perfect camera out there that will fit the bill on all our work. Thus, we plan to buy a variety of cameras but would like to keep them within 2 brands. I like the Sony cams, but wish they were CCD and had SD capabilities, mostly the CCD part. The Panny 300 didn't impress me that much either once we dumped it into our NLE (Edius, PC), but it felt like a great camera ergonomically. Then came the 700 by JVC, but I hate being forced into this "dongle", but realize it's unavoidable, at this point! Please keep me posted as well on your research. It's always helpful to share ideas with fellow producers.

Return to posts index

Chris Mendes
on Sep 9, 2009 at 4:17:44 pm

Hi guys,
i got my 700 about a month and half ago after going thru the same elimination process you are.
I tested , at EC professional Video in NYC,( Thanks Lisa!) the SOny EX 3 , Panny 300 ,and JVC 700. They actually set up all three cameras in their basement studio as well as letting myself and two othercameramen onto the streets of New York. We shot objects in the studio under the same controlled lighting-well lit and dimly lit, static and moving. The Broadway area at 4.30 pm( daylight ) ,6.30 dusk and 7.45 sort of night.
All three cameras about a foot apart.
The Sony is slightly less noisy in the dark, the Panny and JVC are closer. In well lit tungsten or daylight situations the Sony is Very very slightly ( and I mean marginally) less noisy--enough that it didn't make a difference for my purposes. The Panny and EX 3 had definite skew wobblies that i didn't care for. The JVC had vertical streaking( is that the Right word ? ) when pointed directly at light sources- this is a CCD issue. This didn't bother me.
Colors in the factory presets are slightly different, but these are adjustable.
Ergonomically the Sony was uncomfortable even with an after market Shoulder mount ( the one we tested was kind of V- shaped with a rear mounted brick--- don't remember the name not the Protech ) it still kept tilting outward, and impossible without.
Please keep in mind that i am an old school guy who is not used to handicams.
Panny felt like a good old fashioned camera. The JVC the same but lighter.
Here's what tilted us to the JVC. Ergonomics felt familiar. Very marginal difference in picture quality ( for my purposes anyway). $ 38 SDHC (16 gig= 1hr) as against $ 300 SXS cards or $ 600 P2 Cards. I normally hand my material to the client.
I have used the camera since on a doc shooting MP4 mode on SDHC cards for a client who edits on AVID Adrenaline. I've also used it for my own projects in .mov mode to edit on my FCP 5.1 .
In Mp 4 mode the KM 100 SxS box does need to be attached , but does not need to have an SxS card or even be powered on.
The Camera will do 60i in 1920x1080 mode --not 60 P.
I've run about 29 16 gig Transcend cards so far 22 of them in MP 4 format.
Sorry for the lengthy post but it tried to get as much in as i could. I am also planning to pair the camera with an HM 100 soon.

Chris

Return to posts index

Mark Salloum
on Sep 9, 2009 at 6:22:24 pm

I actually appreciate the long post and details. It sounds like you're pretty happy so far with the 700. I've been asking around different forums for some feedback on mixing the 700 with the 100 with no reply. I also am a "shoulder" mount DP as well, so the little camera is not my style, but certainly a valuable tool for some unique shooting and steadicam shots. Feel free to keep in touch via my email at mark@videomagicpro.net. Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Terry Nixon
on Sep 30, 2009 at 9:59:15 pm

Here's the JVC link to enable the MP4 SDHC record function on the non-SXS JVC GY-HM700U.
Also turns on support for Class 10 SDHC cards.
http://support.jvc.com/pro/firmwareupgrade/versionentry.jsp?modelId=35

Terry Nixon
Texas Media Systems
terry@texasmediasystems.com
PH 512-440-1400 x203

Return to posts index

Marcello Mazzilli
on Oct 7, 2009 at 10:00:12 am

Works only for Cameras from 1,06 on... Up to 1,05 (mine) no.. but JVC says it will be ouy soon a firmware update for older HM700s

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]