FORUMS: list search recent posts

phantom power on JVC GY-HM100

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Buckley
phantom power on JVC GY-HM100
on Aug 25, 2009 at 10:22:47 pm

Wonder if anybody has experienced phantom power problems with JVC GY-HM100?
The JVC-supplied microphone works on XLR and that's phantom power, but a pro microphone like
the Rode NTG-2 or Audio-technica will not work on phantom power alone--these mics work only off
the AA-battery supplied with the microphone. If the battery is removed from the mic, I get zip from
the microphone set to 48v-phantom power, just a whole lot of crackling noises.
Has anyone gotten the phantom power to work with a pro microphone?

--Michael Buckley

Return to posts index

Johnny Clark
Re: phantom power on JVC GY-HM100
on Aug 25, 2009 at 10:52:30 pm

With mics like the ntg2 a battery is always required, even if it\'s dead. It's best to have a battery that\'s at least 75% charged at all times when using phantom pwr or not. Hope this helps. Always a have a battery in the chamber.

Return to posts index

Michael Buckley
on Aug 26, 2009 at 1:15:54 am

Hello Johnny--

Thanks for the swift response. I can follow the logic of leaving the battery in the chamber, but I also tested out a Rode NTG-3, which has no battery (only phantom power). That one did not work with the JVC gy-hm100. Same thing--a whole lot of crackle. Is it the JVC that's the problem, or the Rode mics, or the combination?

Cheers, Michael

Return to posts index

Charles Wannop
on Aug 26, 2009 at 6:38:17 am

Hi Guys, something fishy here.
I use a pair of Rode NTG-2 with my Tascam FireOne with no AA batteries fitted - not a problem with phantom turned on.
Just to make sure I came home and ran up the HM100 - again no problem. Have you checked the switches on the audio panel on the mic bracket? (sorry if this is a dumb question)

Chas.

PS: Man, the Rode sounds soooo much better than the supplied JVC shotgun.

Return to posts index

Michael Buckley
on Aug 26, 2009 at 3:35:53 pm

Hello Charles--

Yes, Rode mics are a lot lot better than the JVC-supplied mic!
Rode mic with battery inserted works fine with JVC (mic operates on own power), but
if I remove battery from the Rode mic and switch JVC to phantom power, I get zip.
So you are saying that your GY-HM100 works on phantom power setting with battery removed from Rode NTG-2?
Could be something else going on with my HM100 in that case.

--Michael Buckley

Return to posts index

Charles Wannop
on Aug 26, 2009 at 11:16:05 pm

Hi Michael, Yeah - no battery in the Rode, plugged straight into JVC works great. Have you maybe tried other cables?

Charles

Return to posts index

Will Granzier
on Jul 23, 2010 at 8:58:00 pm

Hmmmm Not quite sure about that statement. The Battery on the NTG is only required if u want to use the mike with a cam like an older Canon XL 1s that has a XLR in that does not supply phantom. I run 3 NTGs on HD101's as camera mikes... never had batteries in them ever

Return to posts index

Will Granzier
on Jul 23, 2010 at 8:54:05 pm

HEY

I use the Rhode NTG2 in a broadcast environment on 3 GY101's all work well on phantom. I actually use themas replacements for the JVC cam mikes as they give much better quality sound. Check your settings as thats critical

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]