FORUMS: list search recent posts

Footage from HM100u useless to Premiere Pro

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
clyde villegas
Footage from HM100u useless to Premiere Pro
on Aug 14, 2009 at 12:39:02 am

I read somewhere that Premiere Pro does not like footages from JVC HM100u... I can't remember exactly what I've read but it's either the footage plays choppy or Premiere can't read it at all. Is this true?

ut in omnibus glorificetur Deus

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
Re: Footage from HM100u useless to Premiere Pro
on Aug 16, 2009 at 8:35:14 pm

The JVC HM100u records .mov (Quicktime) files direct to a card. They can be 1080i or p, 720 30p or 60p. If Premier can work with Quicktime files there should be no problems.

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

clyde villegas
on Aug 16, 2009 at 10:10:39 pm

What's the actual codec used by the HM100u? Is it h.264? Thanks Phil!

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
on Aug 17, 2009 at 8:17:23 pm

They are HDV Quicktime (in the frame size and rate shot at), they are not H264 which is not an editing codec. I use Final Cut Pro so know little about Premier. A friend tested this camera and bought it straight away, but his workflow is also FCP.

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

clyde villegas
on Aug 17, 2009 at 12:07:47 am

I read this user review on B&H photo:

"I am having Vista 64-bit system with Pinnacle 12 Pro and cannot find any current editor or tool to be able import any type of movies from this camera. I have plenty of footage and do not know how to transfer and edit it. I tested also possibility to get this MP4 files re wrapped as MXF files using the Windows Clip Browser software, but unfortunately that does not recognize any footage either. While this camcorder probably works perfectly and exports into Final Cut Pro on Macintosh, Windows users are not so lucky. I was testing several software packages and did not succeed on my Vista-64 bit system to import any movies into Pinnacle 12 Pro, Sonny Vegas Pro 7, Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 or AVID Liquid 7 with MXF re-wrapping or without. Big disappointment."

I'm using Premiere Pro CS4 that's why I'm worried about purchasing this camera.

Return to posts index

John Raines
on Aug 22, 2009 at 2:15:55 am

Clyde, you can download the owner's manual from http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/inst_man.jsp?model_id=MDL101845&feature_....

I don't own the camera. But according to the manual, you can record MPEG-4 files which are importable to Premiere, Vegas, etc. Check out Page 61.

Return to posts index

Tomo Sabljic
on Sep 9, 2009 at 1:39:23 pm

It works perfectly with Edius and CS4.

Return to posts index

Andy Urtusuastegui
on Sep 13, 2009 at 7:54:14 pm

I have the HM100 and it works GREAT with Premiere Pro CS3 and CS4.
Just make sure you are saving the files as MP4.

Then copy the ENTIRE BPAV folder to a hardisk before importing to Premiere. Then use the media browser window to import the files.

Return to posts index

derek henson
on Mar 2, 2010 at 12:32:22 am

Im sure there is an easier way to do this... When importing clips from the HM100U to CS4, I have to move each clip from its separate folder individually. This is very time consuming- especially when i have over 200 clips to import. There must be a faster way to do this, right?

Return to posts index

Andy Urtusuastegui
on Mar 2, 2010 at 5:35:54 am

You do not have to do that. All the clips are under the one directory.

When imported you see the files listed in PPro.

Return to posts index

derek henson
on Mar 2, 2010 at 6:05:13 am

When I choose import and go to the hard drive space that holds the clips, they each have their own separate folder with the mp4 video clip, an SMIL , PPN File, XML Document, and BIM File. Have I missed something or did I set something wrong?

Return to posts index

Andy Urtusuastegui
on Mar 2, 2010 at 9:07:41 pm

In Premiere, there is a window called Media Browser.
Go to that and click on the drive your files are on. (Don't click on the BPAV folder.) Also, the is a "View As:" pop down. Select HDCAM-EX and you should see only the mp4 files.

Return to posts index

Andy Urtusuastegui
on Mar 2, 2010 at 9:14:12 pm

Here is a screen shot..

Return to posts index

derek henson
on Mar 4, 2010 at 4:24:32 am

ok, when I transferred my footage to my computer's hard drive I selected all the separate folders for the video clips... When I go through media browser, and set as "view as XDCAM" I still have to go eah individual folder. But looking at your screen shot, I should have transferred the BPAV folder with all the clip folders in it instead of just selecting and moving only the clip folders?

Return to posts index

Andy Urtusuastegui
on Mar 4, 2010 at 7:20:25 am

Yes, move the entire BPAV folder with all the subfolders intact as they were on the media card.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]