FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video management error on JVC GY-HM100

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ashley Kennedy
Video management error on JVC GY-HM100
on Aug 6, 2009 at 7:19:31 pm

Has anyone had the following error during recording on the JVC GY-HM100:

"Video management file is damaged. Recovery is required to record/playback. Recover?"

Before this error shows, a screen briefly announces that there is a damaged video management file. It happens at completely random times; I can't nail it down. It interrupts recording and requires you to hit "Yes" to recover before you can resume recording.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Krishnan Vasudevan
Re: Video management error on JVC GY-HM100
on Sep 4, 2009 at 4:44:03 am

Ashley - it's happened to me quite a few times. I contacted my local JVC rep and because I had purchased a camera recently they sent me a brand new camera and I returned the old one. However, the new one does the same thing. I have tried everything to figure this out.

The only thing I can think of is the fact that I used the same SDHC cards with a Panasonic HMC 150 which was formatted to write in AVCHD. I wonder if any remnants filed aren't deleted in a format?

I'm goign to keep looking in to this. Do you notice it happening in certain occurances? Is it just in Slot A or B? Let me know. I'll send more when I have it.

Return to posts index

Krishnan Vasudevan
on Sep 4, 2009 at 5:16:38 am

Hi Ashley - here's another thought. Are you recording in high quality mode? If so you are writing at 35 MBPS (35 megabites per second), which is a decently large amount of data per second.

Most SDHC cards (made prior to this spring) can only write at 10-15 MBps (tops). So I just did some research and this must be what is causing the error we are both getting.

Try finding a card with a faster write speed and maybe that'll do the trick.

I hope this helps. Toshiba, Sandisk and Panasonic have just come out with new cards that have much faster write speeds.

Return to posts index

Ashley Kennedy
on Sep 4, 2009 at 2:34:41 pm

Yes, we ended up solving the problem by switching SD card brands. We were using a Class 6 SD card made by Axiom, and it produced the error every time (HQ and SP)

We ran the same exact tests with SD cards made by Transcend, and the problems went away.

Now we are using Transcend 16GB and 8GB Class 6 SD cards and all is well.

Return to posts index

Robert Randall
on Oct 8, 2009 at 1:56:20 am

I'm struggling with this right now. I just got my camera. Don't know if it's the sd cards that are the problem or what. After about 12 seconds of recording I get a "recording failure" message, then "video management file is damaged, recovery is required to record/playback." It's happening every time. Don't know what it is. I'm using class 6 sdhc cards 32gb. They are from China and were a little cheaper than others - so don't know if that's the reason for it or not.

Return to posts index

Brad Bennett
on May 27, 2010 at 5:12:32 am

I have had the same problem with this error message" video management file is damaged, recovery is required to record/playback. I use the 16 GB Transcend class 6 SDHC cards. Now these class 6 cards are supposedly made to handle the HM-100 top data rate output... Makes me extremely paranoid during shooting.....really surprised JVC hasn't responded to this issue yet.
If anyone has anymore insight on this issue....it would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Pete Voss
on Jul 5, 2010 at 1:39:10 am

I had the same problem with my 16GB cards. I think that I have resolved it by deleting all the files of the card. It started to record again. However, I do not trust it and I'm downloading the files to my hard drive.

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

John Rodgers
on Jan 13, 2011 at 8:49:32 pm

I recently had a problem when I manually deleted files on my card while connected to my MAC. My normal empty card (16 GB) could shoot 58 minutes in 1080, but now was only showing 13 min available. When back in the camera there were "no files to delete".

To fix it I had to shoot a quick shot to that card, then thru the camera menu / systems, I formatted the card. After that it went back to having the full 58 minutes of space available.

Return to posts index

Scott Wagner
on Aug 24, 2011 at 6:16:10 am

I just had the same problem..except this was with a class 10 Transcend sd card. I lost part of an important interview and some b-roll the first shoot with the camera. I don't know if I trust JVC cameras to use it again on a shoot. I am most likely going to return the HM100 to the store..

Scott

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]