Filming in the Wilderness

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Hay
Filming in the Wilderness
on Aug 3, 2009 at 5:38:30 pm

Hi everyone!

Puzzle to pick your brains:

We're sending a camera-man to film a doc in the middle of nowhere near Alaska for around 7/8 weeks. What makes this shoot unusual is that generators are banned from the location.

We're looking into alternatives such as solar power and boat batteries with inverters to power his camera.

Was wondering if anyone had any kind of experience with such remote filming and keeping the film rolling!

Regards,

Alex
- Firecracker Films

Return to posts index

Harry Pallenberg
Re: Filming in the Wilderness
on Aug 3, 2009 at 7:59:13 pm

http://videography.com/article/81938

Solar charger for Anton Bauer... this assumes you will be in alaska when the sun is...

Thanks,
Harry

Forum Cowmunity Leader: Indie & Doc
Forum Cowmunity Leader: HDV

Dual 1.8 G5 ** 2GB ** 10.5.4 (Office / Photoshop)
Dual 2.0 G5 ** 4GB ** 10.5.4 Kona 2 (FCP 6.0.4 Machine)

http://www.womeninboxes.com
The Documentary Film about Magic's Better Half.

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
on Aug 3, 2009 at 10:22:50 pm

I guess it partly depends on when (it isn't light very long, if at all, in the winter!). You said near Alaska and boat, so I'll have to say from my 5 years living there that where there's water (meaning around the middle to southern shores) there are more clouds than sun. So, in the summer you'll have clouds which cut down the solar gain considerably, and in the winter you still have clouds, coupled with darkness. Do the boats have motors to use for charging, or are they motorless? Interior Alaska has a lot more sunshine in the summer.
Ed

Return to posts index

Alex Hay
on Aug 5, 2009 at 8:46:04 am

Thanks to both of you for your swift replies!

That solar charger looks very interesting and will certainly be of use for future projects. Unfortunately the manufacturer has informed us it's still currently a prototype in testing.

Boat motors are seeming like the most feasible option at the moment.

Thanks again,

Alex

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]