FORUMS: list search recent posts

SxS or SDHC on the HM700?

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Dickman
SxS or SDHC on the HM700?
on Jul 31, 2009 at 1:48:42 pm

I'm currently looking into purchasing an HM700, but need to clear a couple things up before we buy anything.

• First, is there any advantage to shooting to SxS over SDHC?
    From what I understand if you shoot to SDHC you end up with .move file that can be dropped right into a FCP sequence. So in a sense, by shooting to SDHC you eliminate the transcoding step that you have to do when shooting to SxS, right?

Has anyone run into any stability/reliability issues when recording to SDHC?
    We do plan to utilize the overcranking and variable frame rates, does the SDHC perform well at all frame rates? Or would SxS be more reliable?
    Any other reason you'd want to shoot SxS?

• Second, has anyone used Dionic 160's with the HM700? The lists I've seen had several Anton Bauer batteries listed, but not the 160's. I'm assuming they would work, but b/c they weren't listed I want to hear it from someone who has actually done it.

• Third, does the JVC quick release plate accept a 1/4"-20 threaded tripod plate?

Thanks,
    -Brian Dickman

Return to posts index

Jon Leyse
    Re: SxS or SDHC on the HM700?
    on Aug 3, 2009 at 6:12:58 pm

Brian,

I've been using the SDHC cards and probably recorded 50 hours of footage since I bought the camera. So far I have had no trouble. I think the advantage of the SxS cards is durability. They are built much tougher and would probably hold up better in temperature extremes. I think for normal use the SDHC cards will be just fine. For the price difference it didn't make sense for me to buy the SxS cards.

I've also shot variable frame rate footage and had great success. The 60/30 fps slow motion is really smooth and I love using it.

I have heard of some people recording to SDHC and SxS at the same time so they have two copies. (one for the client, producer, etc).

The JVC tripod plate does have several 1/4"-20 holes (5 to be exact).
    It also 6 six larger holes (maybe 1/2").

I'm using the Anton Bauer Dionic 90 batteries. They work great. Not sure about the 160's but I would agree with you that they should work fine.

Thanks
    Jon

Jon Leyse
    Crash 31, LLC
    http://www.crash31.com

Return to posts index

Brian Dickman
    Re: SxS or SDHC on the HM700?
    on Aug 4, 2009 at 1:23:31 pm

Thanks Jon!

We're still going through the whole EX3 vs. HM700 debate, but this is some helpful information.

I've used the EX3 for a few shoots and it's been great in those situations, but the IR issue and cost of SxS is a big turn off. The HM700's shoulder mount design, inexpensive media, and FCP native files is looking mighty nice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]