FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ready to accessorize my JVC700. Suggestions?

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Popolo
Ready to accessorize my JVC700. Suggestions?
on Jun 28, 2009 at 2:19:50 am

Hi,
I'm awaiting patiently the delivery of my new JVC-700 (it's on backorder from BH).
I'm making the transition from my SD world with my Canon XL2's so I know I've got to replace some accessories for the 700.

I ordered the JVC with the Canon 14x lens and the Anton Bauer battery mount (I am new to Anton Bauer batteries). My specific needs are going to be:

-Zoom controller. I'm happy with my Varizoom for the XL2 but don't know the right one for the 700
-Focus controller (manual type for handle mount)?
- which anton bauer batteries? charger?
- tripod mount adapter? (using a manfrotto fluid head w 1/4-20 screw plate).
- Any recommendation on good place/brand of SDHC cards?

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Any other things you think I would need?
I'm good in the audio and monitor dept (I understand from the JVC specs that I can still patch out to SD monitor)

Thanks!
Anthony

Return to posts index

Charlie Cogar
Re: Ready to accessorize my JVC700. Suggestions?
on Jul 2, 2009 at 4:01:23 pm

Hi Anthony,

I'll try to respond to a few of your questions:

We just took delivery of two 700 cameras. These are to supplement the 100s and are planned for field production. I don't believe any mounting plates came, and I already had a JVC tripod plate from a Libec tripod I've been using. We got two Miller DS10 (I think) tripods/fluid heads. (It might be just a matter of taste and adjusting, but I feel the Libec is easier/faster to set up and break down. However, the Miller is 3 lbs. lighter.)

I've used Anton Bauer bricks, and these are the new "Dionic 90 Digital Batteries." So far I've gotten the 3 hrs. stated run time, and their fuel gauge w/hrs/min. display is helpful. (Our old 100s use JVCs itty bitty battery and each lasts a different amount of time.)

I believe the 700 has better balance than the 100, and the batt and lens improves the center of gravity. Our package included the Fuji Th17X5BRMU which I think is great compared to what we've been using on the 100. There are many opposing posts about lenses for the 700. I believe it's a matter of application and quality requirements.

The first SDHC cards were 2 Panasonic 16gb Class 6 cards. SDHC is different from SD, and Class 6 is required. They can be hard to find; B&H, SuperMedia Store and others have them. I just put 2 RiData (from SuperMedia, about $35 each) in one of the cameras and so far they've performed just fine. So at least these plain label cards work.

If you use a cam strap, PortaBrace gave me contradictory info from two salesman: the HB-15DVCAM and the HB-12DVCAM. We ordered the HB-12 as it looks like its got more beef and comfort. I can let you know when the two straps arrive.

The change from tape to SDHC cards is new to me, and the 700 has performed flawlessly. I initially recorded test footage at the different settings, sizes, frame rates, etc. All came out fine, and I settled on 1280X720 60p HQ. It is indeed drag 'n drop QT movies to the Final Cut Pro bin, so it's quick and easy.

Hope this helps,

Charlie Cogar

Return to posts index

Anthony Popolo
on Jul 4, 2009 at 1:27:30 am

Thanks Charlie! Great help. I see you have the Fujinon lens. Mine are coming with the Canon. Anybody know which varizoom zoom controller works with the Canon?
thanks
Anthony

Return to posts index

Jon Leyse
on Jul 4, 2009 at 2:21:09 am

I just received my 700 as well although I have used it several times before I bought it. I went with the Anton Bauer Dionic 90 batteries and the Titan charger. Still trying to pick a tripod. I've used the SanDisk SDHC cards but they are 4 times as expensive as the off brands so I just bought some from Transcend which the JVC dealer recommended.

I did some testing and the 1280x720 at 60p (HQ) looks better than the 1920x1800 at 60i (HQ). So I guess I will not be shooting interlaced any more. The files drop right into FCP either way.

I bought the $280 tripod plate they recommend and also the $600 JVC hard case. A lot for a case but I plan on putting this on a plane from time to time.

Hope this helps,

Jon

Jon Leyse
Crash 31, LLC
http://www.crash31.com

Return to posts index

Anthony Popolo
on Jul 4, 2009 at 4:38:23 pm

Thanks Jon!
A question about the tripod plate. I'm happy with my tripod and head itself, I'm wondering what the tripod plate does (that you got to fit the camera). Does it attach to the tripod via a standard 1/4-20 screw that is typically on a tripod assembly? I really don't have a need to have a quick release from the tripod (I do mostly tripod work). Will the camera attach to a standard tripod (with 1/4-20 screw) WITHOUT the plate you bought?

Thanks for the SDHC card info. VERY nice to know!

Also, what lens do you have? If the Canon (14x), did you get a zoom controller? If so, which?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jon Leyse
Re: ady to accessorize my JVC700. Suggestions?
on Jul 4, 2009 at 9:46:05 pm

U have to have a tripod plate to use this camera on a tripod. It spans the gap between the front and back because the shoulder pad is in the middle. The plate that comes with your head screws into the jvc plate. Seems a little expensive but you have to have it and you'll love it.
I bought the Fuji 17x lens. I've heard great things about the canon 14x but I need more zoom than that. I have not used a zoom controller on this camera but I know it does not have a LANC port like the varizooms use. U may not need one when u "real" lens like the Fuji or canon.

Jon Leyse
Crash 31, LLC

Return to posts index

Anthony Popolo
on Jul 5, 2009 at 2:41:47 am

Hi Jon,
Thanks for the info on the plate. That's exactly what I thought it may be (my current tripod has a quick release plate, but it assumes a standard screw attacment to the camera. From the photos of the JVC, I was afraid it was just as you described. Oh, well, what's another few hundred bucks!

Regarding the zoom controller, I know it is an 8 pin type (not the LANC), which varizoom also makes. I definitely will need to have that control from the tripod handle when I shoot from tripod. I know varizoom makes one for the JVC700, I'm just not sure which for that lens. I will check with Varizoom about that.
Thanks for your help!

A

Return to posts index

Charlie Cogar
SDHC Cards
on Jul 8, 2009 at 3:24:24 pm

Please help me understand: when I record a few short clips on a card and remove it from the 700 to bring them into FCP (via a card reader), does the card then have to be reformatted, thus losing the clips I recorded? (I know, "Why would I want them?") My thought was like tape: you keep that footage and just add more until you delete it. (I know Reformatting erases all data.)

The 700 wants to Reformat the card each time, and I also get two error messages: Invalid Media and the Reformat message. Reformat Media! appears as soon as I put the card in; I then reformat, get the invalid message, and reformat yet again. Then it's OK.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Charlie Cogar

Return to posts index

Jon Leyse
Re: SDHC Cards
on Jul 8, 2009 at 3:40:54 pm

Charlie,
You are right about the normal FCP process. Record to the card on the 700. Take it out and put it in your card reader and either edit directly from the card or drag it to a hard drive. The only time your should need to reformat is when the card is full and you want to clean it off to reuse it.
A couple ?'s for you to consider:
- Is your card a class 6 SDHC card?
- What brand of card are you using?
- are you hitting pause before you take the card out (red light should be off before ejecting the card).

These are the only things can think of that would cause the problems you are having.

I have used Sandisk (expensive) and Transcend (inexpensive) SDHC class 6 cards with no problems.

Hope this helps,
Jon

Jon Leyse
Crash 31, LLC

Return to posts index

Charlie Cogar
Re: SDHC Cards
on Jul 8, 2009 at 4:05:28 pm

John,

Thanks for your response.

In one cam we have two Panasonic Class 6 16 GB cards and they've been fine. They're expensive, I think about $100 each from Video Services of America, Lincoln, Nebraska.

In the other cam we have two RiData Class 6 16 GB cards. They too have performed without any errors and cost about $35 each from SuperMedia Store online. I am recording at 1280X720 60p HQ.

I spoke with our JVC regional sales rep in St. Louis and he said the Panasonic, SanDisk and Toshiba cards are recommended because those are the ones that they tested. So it doesn't mean that generic cards won't work although they must be Class 6. My thinking is that as long as a card meets the tech specs it should work.

I press "Stop," and then eject the card. (I don't think that Stop is the same as as Pause ... ?) I may even turn the cam off before I remove the card.

Also, here's the number of an engineer at JVC in New Jersey: 973.489.3445. I called once and he was very hellpful.

Hope this helps.

Charlie Cogar

Return to posts index

Anthony Popolo
on Jul 14, 2009 at 6:14:47 pm

I bought the tripod plate adapter for my JVC700. However, I just realized that you DON'T need it to mount the camera to a tripod. There is a standard 1/4-20 mounting thread already on the camera (just forward of the shoulder mount foam). Oh, well. It is pretty handy anyway.
-Anthony

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]