FORUMS: list search recent posts

1/3 vs 1/2" chips

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Rubasch
1/3 vs 1/2" chips
on Jun 21, 2009 at 11:33:07 pm

There have been discussions on other boards but we were pretty set on the GY-HM700 after a demo. Then we demoed the Sony EX1 with the 1/2 inch chips and just seemed to see a bit sharper, smoother blacks image. Plus, with a 1/3" to 2/3" lens adapter and HD Primes we realized that with 1/3" chips we would have a harder time getting decent shallow depth of field. Better with the Sony.

But workflow with the JVC was butter. And we did get decent images, just some issues with blacks. And we liked the size of the camera.

Anyone here want to defend the 1/3" chips on the JVC?

Go.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Andrew Beneze
Re: 1/3 vs 1/2" chips
on Jun 23, 2009 at 7:33:24 pm

I cannot defend the 1/3 chips. Seems size matters. I will however caution you on the JVC product. We have been using a 200U for a while and it has significant problems handling bright light and low light. Kind of a problem. And the VF is very bad. You will find yourself working much harder to get great video. The reps have told me they have taken care of these problems in their newest cameras but I don't trust them. They should have never released those cameras with known quality issues. With that said, I am moving to the EX3 and quite excited to see the results.

Return to posts index

Jon Leyse
on Jul 4, 2009 at 2:31:27 am

We have the new JVC GY-HM700. Overall I really like the camera and the way it sits on my shoulder. The progressive image is very clear and the workflow into FCP is great. I have noticed that the blacks are noisy. I'm curious if there are settings in the camera that help minimize this.

I considered buying the EX-3 but couldn't get over the fact that it doesn't sit well on my shoulder. I throw more footage away because I didn't hold the camera still that I do because of poor image quality. The inexpensive media also played a part in my decision.

Jon

Jon Leyse
Crash 31, LLC
http://www.crash31.com

Return to posts index

enrique orozco
on Jul 15, 2009 at 11:41:02 pm

I had a JVC-HD110 and now a EX3... it is "semi-shoulder" but, to me, it has great ergonomics (sometimes even better than the 110)... the viewfinder only is worth the price of the camera ... never go back...and the media (SDHC) is as cheaper as the JVC with the MxR solutions ....

... my 2 cents..

good luck

Enrique Orozco R.
http://www.dvideostudio.com >iDEA DigitalVideoStudio

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]