FORUMS: list search recent posts

GY-DV500 Won't eject tape

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dana Wymer
GY-DV500 Won't eject tape
on Jun 11, 2009 at 6:17:27 pm

I'm getting a "supply reel rotation" error. The tape will not eject.
I was able to remove the square box containing the transport mechanism and manually move the gear to remove the tape. It was not eaten. I re-assembled the unit, crossed my fingers and put another tape in. It would not eject, still giving the transport error. 7202 or 7203
Any experience with this problem? Any sources for parts for the DV500?
Thanks,
Dana - a newb

Return to posts index

Brandon Lohaus
Re: GY-DV500 Won't eject tape
on Jun 15, 2009 at 8:12:20 pm

I had a problem like this with my jvc 110u. I forget what the error message said but I ended up having to get it fixed. I would recommend not forcing it to get it open or it will cause more damage. When the guy fixed it, he said the problem could of been from using multiple brands of tapes (which I was doing) and not using a cleaning tape.

Return to posts index

Cedric Tineo
on Jul 27, 2009 at 4:08:49 pm

Hey. Same problem here. Tape stuck in pal gy-dv500 for years now, repair too expensive. Using it only for studio work connected directly to computer with FinalCut for recording - got to try Adobe OnLocation which seem to be great for the same purpose.

To restore field operation - you should look into a FireStore FS-4, they seem to be available at around $800 at amazon, less on ebay.

Let me know if you find a solution.

Cedric

- by the way, hard to find a use for a gy-dv500 those days, with all this HD gear around. What do you use yours for?

Return to posts index

Dana Wymer
on Jul 27, 2009 at 4:41:15 pm

So, the repair would cost more than a Firestore? Ouch! It was used as a 3rd camera in church for a TV program. It's now sitting in the office, unused.

"We all got it comin' kid" - William Munny

Return to posts index

Cedric Tineo
on Jul 27, 2009 at 7:36:17 pm

those days they don't repair mechanical tape units - standard replacement is the norm.

Well, if it's for church, you can use the camera firewire-linked to a computer with adobe onlocation for capture - and no need to repair the tape unit. The optical+ encoding units send video to FW all the time even when the camera is not recording.

Cedric

Return to posts index

Dana Wymer
on Jul 27, 2009 at 10:19:08 pm

Were you able to locate a source for parts? And, how long of a cable run can firewire do - from camera to computer?

Return to posts index

Rob Roye
on Nov 10, 2010 at 2:02:06 pm

I know that this posting is over a year old. I have just had the same issue with my JVC 500. Could you please tell me how you gained access to the tape? I am able to remove the right cover and then see a printed circuit board. I am not sure what to do next?

Thanks

Rob

Return to posts index

Dana Wymer
on Nov 10, 2010 at 8:30:32 pm

Actually, I just kept tearing it down until I had the whole transport out. Was all to no avail as any parts seem to be impossible to find.
I believe after a few screws for the PC board and a couple of delicate ribbon cables, I had it apart enough to manually move some gear inside that ejected the tape for me. GL,
Dana

Return to posts index

jonathan farrugia
on Feb 14, 2012 at 6:30:35 pm

any one has a jvc switches on but the mechanical unot of the tape is damaged?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]