FORUMS: list search recent posts

GR-HD1 Capture problem FCP

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noah Leon
GR-HD1 Capture problem FCP
on May 24, 2009 at 2:21:13 pm

Hi all,

I have a JVC GR-HD1 that I spent many hours using to record various interviews. However, when I try to capture the footage in Final Cut 6, there seem to be timecode breaks where there shouldn't be any, and the footage is broken up into several clips, instead of a single long interview. This has the effect of slicing segments out of the footage that I have to go back and re-capture. The "timecode breaks" are always in different locations each time I try to capture the same tape.

Has anyone experienced this before with any camera?

Is there a solution to this problem?

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
Re: GR-HD1 Capture problem FCP
on May 24, 2009 at 8:19:31 pm

Have you tried capturing as ProRes instead of HDV? Doing this seems to present less problems.

How to do this;
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/vlog/12/04/2009/jvc-hdv-video-into-final-c...

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

Noah Leon
on May 26, 2009 at 1:34:34 am

Thank you Phil for that great info. I've bookmarked your site.

However, it didn't work, the problem still persists where the continuous clip is cut up due to some sort of breaks during playback. I think my problem may be more serious. I talked to JVC and they were more or less clueless. They recommended replacing the tape mechanism. It's expensive and there is no guarantee it will help.

Do you or anyone else have any ideas why the camera is doing this? I want to be sure before I consider any repairs.

Much thanks.

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
on May 26, 2009 at 9:29:05 am

You may need to look at your FCP configuration before spending money on a repair that may not fix the problem.

You don't mention your Mac specs or set up etc. could you post these?

Do you have anything other than your media drive and the camera plugged in to the firewire ports?

Come to that have you tried another firewire cable?

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

Tim Oberg
on Jun 16, 2009 at 4:16:52 pm

Noah, I also have the JVC compatibility with FCP issue (although far worse, I haven't managed to capture at all) and just wanted to let you know that it's not just your or your setup.

I have been reading every Apple, Adobe, and misc. forum I can find, and this seems to be everybody's problem who is using the JVC GR-HD1 with any version of FCP on any Mac.

Apparently, if you or I had shot our footage in DV mode it would work, but not SD or HD - at least until Apple figures out a compatibility fix and issues an upgrade to their capture configurations.

MacBook Pro 0S 10.5 2.4GHz Intel Final Cut 6.0.5

-Tim
Monkeyraft.com post-production

Return to posts index

Tom Bennetti
on Sep 21, 2009 at 10:43:34 am

Hi. Did you figure out how to get your GR-HD1 to capture? I have the same problem.
Thanks,
Tom

Return to posts index

Noah Leon
on Sep 22, 2009 at 12:39:24 pm

Unfortunately, no, my HD1 sits gathering dust. I even sent it in to JVC who had no clue what was wrong, but offered to replace the tape mechanism for $400 canadian.

I thought this to be a bit much for no guarantee that it would fix the problem.

Return to posts index

chet simmons
on Oct 2, 2009 at 2:41:17 pm

My friend is shooting a doc using this camera and I've been trying to figure out a simpler way of getting her footage from the GRHD1 into fcp. 1. I downloaded the mpeg2 deal from apple for quicktime. I don't know if this did anything,but I figured the camera isn't HDV, otherwise they'd advertise it. 2. Then connected the camera to the computer. You can either do it via firewire or with a usb cable. Then go into preferences and under the recording camera icon select the GRHD1 for the video and microphone source. Then, under quality select "device native."
close the preferences window and in Quicktime Under file tab, select record movie. Press play on the camera and record on the quicktime window. But wait, you're not done yet! I used a defunct program called visual hub to go the rest of the way and it is no longer available and converted the footage from the jvc to dv. I believe there is a program called video monkey on macupdate.com that will also do it, but haven't tried. import into fcp. Please note I have encountered massive sound sync issues that I've cleaned up manually in fcp. And that's a whole other post.

Return to posts index

max kerzner
on Oct 21, 2010 at 6:13:14 am

just buy a cheap little mini dv camcorder and take the tape out of the jvc and upload with th elittle camcorder thats how i do it

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]