FORUMS: list search recent posts

jvc 700

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Heck
jvc 700
on May 24, 2009 at 12:58:34 am

I actually got to do some preliminary shooting today. Man, I;m impressed. Color is vibrant. Image is sharp, the workflow to FCP is seamless. However, one issue I'm having is the cards the dealer sold me for the camera. They sold me two Centon 16 SDHC class 6 cards. However, the camera will not recognize them. Says they are improper cards. I bought, thankfully, a Transcend 16 GIG class 6 card and card reader which works flawlessly.

I discovered you can shoot in the Sony XDCAM format directly to the SDHC card without using the SxS adapter.

I only got to shoot a few minutes today, I'm in Indy and it's race weekend, so it's busy. I will report more as I go along though. But I must say the image is spectacular. Much, much sharper and cleaner than my former Sony Z1 HDV camera.

Jeff Heck
NaJor Productions
Indianapolis

Return to posts index

marcel franck
Re: jvc 700
on May 24, 2009 at 4:59:47 pm

I did a test shoot with the new 700 as well and noticed that when i brought the files into fcp they we're .mov files but in the bin under info they we're identified as sony ex files. Did you actually record to .mp4 files or .mov?

PRODUCER - DIRECTOR - EDITOR
PPC G5 DUAL 2GIG, 6 GIGS RAM, AJA IO, 2TB SATA2
OS 10.4.11
FCP 5.0.6
Ae 6.5 CS3 Ps,Ai,Ae

Return to posts index

Jeff Heck
on May 25, 2009 at 8:28:07 pm

There is a menu within the settings that allows you to choose MP4 or MOV. I shot in MOV. I have not tried the MP4 yet. Been a busier than expected weekend with other things. I will shoot more this week.

Jeff Heck
NaJor Productions
Indianapolis

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on May 26, 2009 at 1:29:33 am

The GY-700 shoots in Sony's XDCAM 4:2:2 codec and then adds a QT wrapper so FCP will recognize it as a true .mov file. HOWEVER, underneath that slick .mov wrapper is a long GOP XDCAM clip. So you can work with lit like it is QT but your sequence setting will be XDCAM if you drag it in and let FCP adjust the sequence to match the clip.

The MP4 format is chosen when you will be editing on a PC with Vegas or Premier, which edit MP4 natively.

Final Cut users will most likely use the .mov wrapper.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Joe Davenport
on Jun 3, 2009 at 7:45:10 pm

I'll be interested to hear your results from shooting indy racing with that camera and the long-gop codec...

My experience with long-gop and quick motion is not that good.

please let us know how the camera holds up.

Return to posts index

Charlie Cogar
on Jun 5, 2009 at 5:43:00 pm

Hi,

I've shot at all the resolutions and bit rates (Quicktime on SDHC Class 6 cards), as well as some of the variable frame rates . I didn't get to try different shutter speeds yet.

Has anyone used the Fire Wire capability?

Thanks,

Charlie Cogar

Return to posts index

Ryan Orr
on Jun 25, 2009 at 2:49:18 pm

Wait a minute...I thought that the only way to get the .mp4 files was to attach the SxS adaptor? I've been reading all over the place that the .mov files were specific to only FCP...and if you wanted .mp4, you would have to attach the SxS adaptor.

From what I understand, if you want the .mp4 files on the SDHC you had to use the SxS adaptor, which basically acts like a behemoth of a dongle...it unlocks the .mp4 capabilities and you could record to the SxS cards or the SDHC cards, but whichever card you used, to get the .mp4 files you had to use the adaptor.

I edit on Adobe Premier Pro, and I was ecstatic about the HM700u and JVC's use of the SDHC cards, until I heard that the only way you can use the video is to the additional SxS adaptor JUST to unlock the .mp4 capabilities. Am I wrong?

Thanks,
ironorr84

Return to posts index

Charlie Cogar
on Jun 26, 2009 at 9:14:08 pm

Ryan,

My understanding is exactly as yours, and I too have read the same in the trades. We did not get the SxS recorder, and the SDHC cards are working fine (Panasonic 16gb Class), and just today dared to use two RiData 16gb Class 6 cards - - they performed without any error with PB via both USB and a Card Reader.

Good luck, and I'm curious to see responses to your post.

C. Cogar

Charlie Cogar

Return to posts index

dewan edwards
on Jun 30, 2009 at 9:07:07 pm

Anyone else know for sure if you can get the MP4 files on the SDHC cards without the SxS unit?

Return to posts index

Jon Leyse
on Jul 4, 2009 at 10:00:08 pm

U can only record in M4P with the SXS ka-mr100g memory recorder. The option is greyed out in the menus without the recorder. The jvc rep said the recorder is the worlds biggest dongle. Something to do with keeping the folks at Sony happy.

Jon Leyse
Crash 31, LLC
http://www.crash31.com

Return to posts index

Ryan Orr
on Jul 5, 2009 at 11:30:49 pm

That is so stupid...stupid stupid stupid!

In my situation, everyone loses. JVC loses because I can't buy their camera AND Sony's SxS adaptor (huge ass dongle), and I can't get a really good camera. For me, it's either the SxS adaptor or buying a completely different editing hardware/software. Using the SDHC cards was a really good idea, and JVC (IMO) screwed all non-mac users pretty good on this one. I like macs, and I would love to learn how to edit on FCP, but unless Premier Pro can take in the FCP .mov files, I'm going to have to forget about the 700.

Dang...
Ryan

Return to posts index

Eric Gibson
on Aug 21, 2009 at 1:42:52 pm

From What I understand the SxS adapter is a $500 add on.
I think the money saved by using SDHC cards, say over P2 cards, or Sony's SxS cards will offset the difference.

I am still doing some research, and was wondering if anyone else has feedback on this camera?

Return to posts index

Charlie Cogar
on Aug 21, 2009 at 3:02:42 pm

Hello Eric,

We recently got 2 700s with Fujinon 17X lenses and are very pleased. We use SDHC cards with no problems and just learned that you can continue recording on a card (like tape, pick up where you left off), if you transfer via USB from the cam to Final Cut. If you remove the card(s) and transfer via a card reader the SDHC card will need to be reformatted when re-inserted in the cam thus losing the previously recorded clips.

Hope this helps. Let me know your experiences with the cam.

Charlie Cogar

Return to posts index

Lou Caputo
on Oct 21, 2009 at 1:37:25 am

Check out this news release. Apparently NOW you CAN record .mp4 without the SXS recorder.

http://news.creativecow.net/story/862613

Return to posts index

Ryan Orr
on Oct 21, 2009 at 12:49:58 pm

This is good. Been shooting/editing with what I had ever since I made my first post in this thread, and budgeted for a new camera ever since. Now that JVC has made this move, most likely I'll be getting this camera.

I've been doing SD stuff for awhile now on my MacBookPro, while all this time my clients have been asking for HD content, and me telling them I can't do it yet. But now I can get this camera and do my HD projects. Too bad DVD Studio Pro doesn't do Blueray yet...sigh, guess I'll stick with a duel booting to windows for that solution.

But I shouldn't cry too much, or Ron Lindeboom will bash me again for the "treadmilling"

Return to posts index

Ofer Geva
on Jan 1, 2010 at 4:42:28 pm

Hold the phone!
Can't Premiere pro use the .mov files? I used some .mov files with Premiere, are the ones delivered by the jvc 700 any different than regular .mov files?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]