FORUMS: list search recent posts

HM 700 & Canon Lense

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
marcel franck
HM 700 & Canon Lense
on May 5, 2009 at 2:18:18 pm

I had the opportunity to try out the HM 700 the other day. The camera was outfitted with a Fujinon 17x lens. The camera felt great on my shoulder and was easy to use. The camera was right out of the box and had no special scene files or adjustments. I bought my own 16 gig transcend sdhc card, dropped into the slot on the camera and started shooting. I shot at 1080i30 35mbps and dragged the footage I shot right into FCP. It worked exactly as advertised.
I really liked the camera, however, I wondered how much better the images will be with the advertised canon lens. Phil Bloom mentioned in his review he thought the fuji lens didn't do the camera any favors and I think I agree. Any idea when we will see the canon lenses that are much touted in the JVC ads?

Return to posts index

Jeff Heck
Re: HM 700 & Canon Lense
on May 11, 2009 at 12:43:57 pm

Hi. The lens Phil Bloom was using in his testing was the Fujinon 16X, not the 17. I don't know if it's been tested much with the 17X, but that lens is a much, much better lens than the 16x.

Jeff Heck
NaJor Productions
Indianapolis

Return to posts index

marcel franck
on May 11, 2009 at 1:39:01 pm

Thanks Jeff! Have you had the opportunity to use the 700 yet? Any thoughts? Are there any scene file settings available or any tips for setting up the camera? I have been on the JVC site and can't seem to find any yet.
Maybe once things calm down from NAB the jvc folks can share some ideas
here on the COW.

PRODUCER - DIRECTOR - EDITOR
PPC G5 DUAL 2GIG, 6 GIGS RAM, AJA IO, 2TB SATA2
OS 10.4.11
FCP 5.0.6
Ae 6.5 CS3 Ps,Ai,Ae

Return to posts index

Jeff Heck
on May 11, 2009 at 2:03:15 pm

I did some very basic stuff with both the EX3 and the JVC 700. Nothing to really report regarding full use since I had about ten minutes with both.

I did think that the image out of the 700 was better looking than the EX3. However, that could be due to the set ups and such. The 700 is very, very new and the retailer was still figuring out how everything worked.

I am looking forward to a long trial in a few weeks with the 700. I'll make some posts here. By the way, have you checked out the Phillip Bloom review of the 700? I linked it in another post somewhere here, but here it is again. Really solid review and great images online. Here's the link:

http://exposureroom.com/members/philipbloom.aspx/assets/3534a3149eed43dfbd2...

Jeff Heck
NaJor Productions
Indianapolis

Return to posts index

Charlie Cogar
on May 19, 2009 at 3:22:33 pm

Hello,

We just took delivery of a JVC-700 with the Fujinon17X lens. I'm waiting for the SDHC Class 6 cards to arrive so I haven't done any test recording. I'll respond as soon as I have something.

Charlie Cogar

Return to posts index

Jeff Heck
on May 21, 2009 at 1:21:26 am

Well, my camera gets here tomorrow, but the battery and power supply/charger were sent separate, so they won't arrive til Friday or Tuesday! Will report back.

Jeff Heck
NaJor Productions
Indianapolis

Return to posts index

Stephan Mussil
on Jan 29, 2010 at 1:45:16 pm

As your post is dated on May 11, 2009 I have a question:
Do You have any experiences with "scene files" and picture files"

Stephan
http://mussil.com

Return to posts index