FORUMS: list search recent posts

What are the best Pro Video Cameras today under 12K

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Reynolds
What are the best Pro Video Cameras today under 12K
on May 1, 2009 at 6:36:44 pm

Was wondering if any of the pro's here in this forum care to share what Professional Video camera they use and why they like it? What are some of the pro's and con's to them? And what they would rate from top to bottom the 4 big companies Sony, Canon, JVC and Panasonic in terms of overall quality, reliability and price vs. features worth?

I'm always concerned about which video camera is actually worth it in terms of performance and ability. There is always some sort of drawback to these cameras. One thing I'm noticing is that on the video card capture features I always see this "The clips are QT.mov format using the XDCAM EX codec and drop right into FCP without any transcoding or rendering". What gives with this? Why is it like this? I use both PC and MAC and would like to be able to not have to go the extra step in transcoding for Premiere Pro on a PC. Why are they making cameras that do this. More people use PC than a MAC.

Return to posts index

Gary Robinson
Re: What are the best Pro Video Cameras today under 12K
on May 2, 2009 at 4:26:11 pm

Hi John,
I took some sample clips from the NAB show floor home on an SD card. There is a hardware addon to the 700 camera (about $500 bundled with the camera from bhphotovideo) that allows you to capture mp4 files (in addition to the quicktime files) which you can edit in almost any edit system. I tested them in Vegas and Newtek SpeedEDIT and they work great. The native quicktime files are another story and didn't work properly in either of those systems or Final Cut 5.0, so you may be required to upgrade Final Cut to work with them. I'm looking at the JVC 700 camera and Xdcam EX 3. They both look great to me.

Gary R.
http://www.sharpcut.com

Return to posts index

John Reynolds
on May 2, 2009 at 6:52:03 pm

Thanks for the info Gary....I'll check it out.

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
on May 4, 2009 at 2:39:46 pm

I own a JVC HD-110 and I've been interested in the 700. I like the SxS card and FCP compatability too. Having said that, the 110 has 1/3" CCDs and terrible low light performance and too much noise with gain. Oh, I love the shoulder mount too. The EX3 has 1/2 CMOS chips for better low light, but not a shoulder camera. Still pondering.
Ed

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]