FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hey Joe D...How's the GY-HM700?

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Rubasch
Hey Joe D...How's the GY-HM700?
on Apr 29, 2009 at 2:25:04 am

Now that you've played around with the camera for a while what is your general conclusion? Does it meet or exceed the hype? Is it the real thing? Is the media truly plug and play and does it play nice in FCP?

Please report! Anyone else?

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Mike Johnson
Re: Hey Joe D...How's the GY-HM700?
on Apr 29, 2009 at 1:58:26 pm

I did some product shots in studio and an on location commercial shoot over the weekend and was pretty impressed with the HM700. It has great low light performance and produces a nice image. The media is plug and play. Just drop the clips into FCP and away you go editing.

So far, I have noticed only one issue. Everything we shot over the weekend was in 1080p30. On playback, we noticed a flicker effect on almost all of the footage. Passed it off as a playback issue and kept going. When I got the footage into FCP the flicker was still there. My theory is that its a GOP issue. I dropped on a CC filter and rendered, and the flicker was gone. Also no flicker when incorporated into an HDV 1080i60 sequence. I'm going to do some testing with the over the next few weeks to what the issue is.

Mike Johnson

Final Cut Pro Editor

Drury Outdoors

http://www.druryoutdoors.com

View Mike Johnson's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on May 3, 2009 at 3:08:57 am

Very useful info. Certainly don't want to have to add a filter to every shoot. How did the footage behave on the timeline? Any long render issues if you added a color effect and had to render? Certainly DVCProHD is ideal because it is so optimized.

Any other observations are appreciated.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Joe Davenport
on May 4, 2009 at 8:32:41 pm

Hey,

well I may not be your best product reviewer as I work for a reseller and am not much of a DP, cameraman, or editor for that matter.

But, I am getting ready to try my hand at shooting a music video for a song I produced(that part I actually do fairly well).

Regardless, I have enjoyed using the 700 so far. It really is plug and play with FCP. I messed around a little with the under/over crank and that works well too. I pretty much stayed in 720/60p mode so far. Haven't noticed any strobbing, but I have only shot some pretty random stuff in the day time, just basically trying to get footage for workflow testing.

I will let you know my findings from my little music video shoot, LOL.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]