FORUMS: list search recent posts

Having trouble capturing JVC HDV 24p in Final Cut Pro 6.0.5

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Heather Hutt
Having trouble capturing JVC HDV 24p in Final Cut Pro 6.0.5
on Mar 29, 2009 at 9:49:39 pm

I recently shot some footage on a JVC GY-HD110U at 24p. I connected it to my MacBook Pro using FireWire. I tried to capture the footage into Final Cut Pro 6.0.5.

I had heard about the difficulties of capturing JVC HDV footage and tried many different settings revolving around HDV and HDV 720p 24. I was able to connect the deck controls--controlling the camera from FCP--but couldn't get any picture. When I Capture Now, it simply records a white screen.

My best guess is
Camera -
HDV PB output: Native (should it be 720p?)

FCP -
Sequence preset: HDV - 720p24
Capture Preset: HDV
Device control preset: HDV FireWire

Thanks SO MUCH in advance for your help. Time is of the essence and this is killing me!

-Heather

Return to posts index

Suzanne Lucas
Re: Having trouble capturing JVC HDV 24p in Final Cut Pro 6.0.5
on Apr 7, 2009 at 3:56:06 am

The post below is actually one from Steve Oakley on another site that I had seen recently.
Yes FCP 6 has problems capturing HDV 720p. its about 90-95% reliable, which is pretty bad when - please read this - using the HDV capture window.

if you use the FCP FW(HDV)->ProRes capture mode, you don't have deck control, but it will bring in all footage 100% reliablly.this mode basically puts the VTR in to play, and convert to prores on the fly. another note, this mode properly see the 24FPS TC, the HDV capture window sees the 24FPS TC as 30 ! that means any shot with a frame over 23 will not capture. you have to edit the logged clip so its frame is under 23. this mode will also create native 24FPS QT files which is a big benefit over using a video I/O card where its 59.94 fps. no JVC doesn't flag the frames like panasonic does, so there is no easy / fast / simple way to get native 24/30 fps moves back. it wastes a lot of drive space and doubles the data rate to play it.

I'd get a MXO2 if you really want to have a capture card. just trust me on this. its a very solid product for 720P capture.

"If you ask me what I came into this world to do I will tell you, I came to live out loud."

Return to posts index

Heather Hutt
on Apr 11, 2009 at 5:42:43 pm

Thanks for your help, but it doesn't seem to be working :(

(I am changing the Video/Audio Setting to Apple Prores 422 ...if that's not what you meant by using HDV ProRes please correct me!)

I'd love to her any more suggestions you have. Thanks!

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Phil Balsdon
on Apr 13, 2009 at 10:08:20 pm

Here's video blog of my workflow for what you are trying to achieve.

http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/vlog/12/04/2009/jvc-hdv-video-into-final-c...

Hope it works for you.

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]