FORUMS: list search recent posts

JVC's new GY-HM100 and GY-HM700 camcorders

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Melvin Cox
JVC's new GY-HM100 and GY-HM700 camcorders
on Feb 13, 2009 at 10:38:53 am

JVC has recently announced the availability of two 35 mbps Solid State Media Camcorders, the GY-HM100U (handheld) and the GY-HM700U (compact shoulder form factor). Both cameras record to inexpensive Class 6 SDHC memory cards. As I understand it, the cameras will ship later this spring.

A very interesting article on the GY-HM700 is available online at:

http://www.independentfilm.com/technology/JVC-gy-hm700-first-impressions.sh...

Literature for the GY-HM700U states:

The GY-HM700 incorporates JVC's Native File Recording technology that stores video in the ready-to-edit file format used by Apple's Final Cut Pro™ non-linear editing system. The ".mov" files created in the camera can be easily dragged onto the NLE timeline without conversion or rewrapping, saving time while keeping the recorded material first generation. There is no need to use an intermediate codec.

With the addition of an optional SxS Media Recorder (MSRP: $1,795 ) the camera can also record "in the .MP4 format used by Sony's XDCAM EX™ onto high speed SxS memory cards."

QUESTIONS:

01) What is the most viable workflow for ingestion of "native Final Cut Pro .mov files" into the Avid Xpress Pro HD / Media Composer environment?

02) Does JVC plan to add additional ready-to-edit file formats via Firmware upgrades?

Thanks for your informed assistance...

Return to posts index

Cal Johnson
Re: JVC's new GY-HM100 and GY-HM700 camcorders
on Feb 14, 2009 at 6:44:36 am

I'm wondering about this camera too... I'm not great with keeping up on all the different formats out there, its hard to keep up with it all. It seems to me from JVC's press release that this camera is really aimed at Final Cut users... basically a camera designed to work specifically with one editing platform. I spoke with the JVC rep who also mentioned the optional SxS capability, but that it comes at an extra cost. I'm using Premiere Pro CS3, and wonder what would be the problem of working with the Quicktime format that the JVC will be recording in.. is it for some reason different from the .mov format that CS3 can read? Is there some reason one would not want to use the .mov format if they were going to be editing in Premiere?

Cal

Return to posts index

Albano Santo
Re: JVC's new GY-HM100 and GY-HM700 camcorders
on May 11, 2009 at 11:45:06 am

Hello
is possible put the new lens 4/3 from olympus or panasonic whit a adaptor in jvc hm 700
thanks Albano

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]