FORUMS: list search recent posts

GY-HD251 Studio/Recording

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stuart Coburn
GY-HD251 Studio/Recording
on Dec 11, 2008 at 1:31:35 pm

Currently in the process of putting together a studio setup with the 251's, with the 26pin optional interface, and have been trying to find out if it's possible to record onto tape at the same time as outputting a HD-SDI or SD-SDI feed to a VM? I've done this previously in SD using Sony 570's but the JVC website/brochure is of little use, i can't see a problem but it does determine how i do some of the build. Has anyone done this or is there a 251 user who can try it out?

Return to posts index

Johnny Clark
Re: GY-HD251 Studio/Recording
on Dec 11, 2008 at 2:07:16 pm

yes, recording to tape and outputing to hdsdi can occur simultaneously. The 250's are a great choice for studio cam's. I have a 250 body availabe if you're interested. Good luck on your design.

Return to posts index

Stuart Coburn
on Dec 12, 2008 at 1:04:09 pm

I'd also be interested in peoples experience of using the DR-HD100 hard drives, as our studio consultants are pushing to add these, mainly for our ENG/PSC filming. Having used P2 for the last couple of years i can see the advantages of the system but the cost involved with equipping the cameras with drives doesn't seem to add up at this stage.
I'm looking more towards tape capture on timecode sync cameras for external use and the previously mentioned SDI capture of the main mix, with tape backup in each camera for studio recording. The backup tapes would be scratch tapes to cover any switching or tech problems and for alternate edits at post stage.
So, are the drives really worth the investment? To buy these i'm going to have to sacrifice a few other items.....so, is it worth it?

Return to posts index

Chuck Pullen
on Dec 26, 2008 at 10:45:53 pm

The 100's would be a good choice if you were doing field work, or didn't want to be bothered with or couldn't logistically replace tapes every hour. You can get anywhere from 4 to 8 hours of HD depending on size. I do agree that they are an odd choice for a studio setup though . Have you thought of an HD multi-channel recorder? I think Grass Valley makes one? You can probably get something like that for the cost of four or five 100's

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]