FORUMS: list search recent posts

JVC ProHD Problems

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johnny Clark
JVC ProHD Problems
on Oct 13, 2008 at 3:17:01 pm

Due to the number of people reporting problems with their JVC ProHD cameras I would like to start a thread where people can list their working setups and where others can post their broken setups.

The format should work something like this:

Camera: JVC HD250u
Settings: 720p 24p
Editor: Final Cut Studio 6.0.2
Issue: FCP doesn't recognize my camera. Footage from the firestore looks bad in FCP. When I connect my HD250 directly to an HD monitor and playback, everything looks great, it's just in FCP that everything seems to breaks down.

This way JVC/apple/adobe/etc can directly see the issues. Please post working scenarios if you have them. There is certainly something fishy happening with the ProHD lineup considering all of the problematic posts from users, including me. My above post is not fictional.

Johnny C

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
Re: JVC ProHD Problems
on Oct 20, 2008 at 10:30:08 pm

I've noticed a few reports lately about FCP 6 not seeing the JVC cameras especially from people who were okay and didn't have the problem until recently. I wonder if this is something to do with the Quicktime 7.5 update. General opinion on the Final Cut Pro forums is don't do this upgrade, it was designed more for things like iPhone and iPod.

Anyone having this problem with Quicktime 7.4 or earlier?

I don't understand why footage from the camera looks good on a monitor and not in FCP, unless for some reason you need to render your timeline in FCP. Unrendered footage will look slightly blocky, it is an indication that your settings may not be quite correct. Footage recorded on the Hard drive is identical to footage on the tape, the drive won't recognize the camera otherwise.

I've been using JVC HD Pro cameras for over 2 years and the only problems I've had were related to the loss of 8 seconds off the head of takes when importing from the camera tape. With FCP 5.1 the solution was to reset FCP preferences for the minimum 1 second pre roll. This doesn't seem to work in FCP 6 but importing as Apple ProRes does, with the added advantage of a a codec that is almost lossless in quality.

The only other issue I've had has been human error, that is forgetting to set the hard drive to record in Quicktime format after reformatting the drive, it reverts back to M2T or AVI as it's default, in which case I use Mpeg Streamclip to reconvert but trials with ClipWrap seem a better option.

Camera: JVC HD111E (but occasionally 251E)
Format: 720p 25p, (720p 50p with 251)
Tape Stock: JVC ProHD.
Firestore DR HD100 80gb hard drive

Apple Power Mac Dual 2.7Ghz. 4.5Gb RAM. 2 X 250Gb internal drives.
OSX 10.4.11
Lacie 4 x 250Gb RAID, FW800
FCP 6.0.3 (FCS 2)
Quicktime 7.4.5

No problems.

Most of your problems seem related to Final Cut Pro, perhaps you need to also search that forum.

Due to development of so many recording formats it is essential to carefully establish a workflow and when you find one that works stick with it. Don't let Apple updates download and automatically install themselves, set them to ask first.

Basically if ain't broken, don't fix it (until it's established the upgrade won't break something).

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

Ian McDermott
on Oct 21, 2008 at 7:37:39 pm

I have to say that I have loved the JVC ProHD cameras since the 100U. I now have a 250. My only complaint has always been the lack of solid connectivity to final cut pro. This is turning out to be a REALLY BIG ISSUE. So much so that I have to seriously consider continuing to use this camera.

As well I have seen that this camera has a structural flaw. The handle joint to the body is extremely weak. I have seen no less than three cameras all bought at the same time and all three have stress cracks at the base of the handle after 6 months of use. Not good for a supposed professional camera.

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
on Oct 22, 2008 at 9:09:24 pm

Ian, do you use the Firestore DR HD100 hard drive? For me this has alleviated all the problems with connectivity to Final Cut Pro with my 111E, just set whatever format you shoot to record as a Quicktime.

Tape simultaneously recorded in the camera becomes an archive and/or back up. Timecodes match and no lost frames at all.

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

Ian McDermott
on Oct 23, 2008 at 2:19:11 am

Oh I have one and do love it. But I have several cameras shooting at once and only one firestore. They are too damned expensive!

But my biggest problem is not going in. Its going out. when the project is done and I want to put it to tape. It seems that something in either Quicktime or FCP has been broken and the output ability for 1280 x 720 HDV is not available. Really quite annoying as my old 5.1 setup worked fine.

Return to posts index

Stephanie Wynne
on Nov 7, 2008 at 4:16:50 am

"I've noticed a few reports lately about FCP 6 not seeing the JVC cameras especially from people who were okay and didn't have the problem until recently. I wonder if this is something to do with the Quicktime 7.5 update. General opinion on the Final Cut Pro forums is don't do this upgrade, it was designed more for things like iPhone and iPod"

I have this problem with my JVC Gy HD110. All was well capturing 720p/24 with the camera (I know a no no), then a few weeks later FCP can't see the camera, but DV from the camera FCP sees. I will try to down grade my Quicktime and let the blog know. HOwever if anyone else had this issue and downgraded Quicktime please let me know.

thx

Return to posts index

mike simpson
on Nov 19, 2008 at 8:52:01 pm

I work for a firm that currently has 2 x GY HD251s and 2 x GY HD200 cameras and 1 x BRHD50, all E models, what with being in the uk and all.

After an initial problem with capturing media, which ended up being due to a duff RS422 cable, the only problems we have encountered have been dropped frames...but i mean lots and lots of dropped frames.
When we first encountered the problem JVC were really quote helpful. We took our cameras into them and they checked them out, although we had other issues with a dodgy graphic overlay thing with both of the 251s which was repaired in one of the cameras.
Anyway, JVC aid that if we used their media they would be able to trace the batches of tapes if we encountered problems again. To be fair we haven't been in touch with them for a while as the dropped frames didn't seem too frequent but now it's just beyond a joke and we are in contact with JVC again and hope to rectify the problem.
It doesn't seem to matter whether we are shooting in SD or HD, although it appears much worse with HD due to the GOP structure...we loose at least 1/2 second per dropped frame with HD.

I'll keep everyone posted on how this progresses but if anyone else has had similar problems and managed to resolve them i'd love to hear.

BTW, we still run FCP 5.1.4 and don't have issues with connecting to the BR50. We've not tried connecting to the cameras as i don't like using them as decks!

mike

Return to posts index

Chris Detjen
on Dec 5, 2008 at 4:57:03 pm

Camera: JVC HD250u
Settings: 720p 24p
Editor: Final Cut Studio 5.1.4
Box: Dual 2.7 GHz PowerPC G5
Issue: FCP fails to recognize camera.

Set up camera to output Native (720p 24p), tape format set to HDV, camera firewire output toggled to HDV. FCP settings: Easy setup for HDV 720p24.

Tried several attempts with various settings and the only time FCP recognized the camera was when the camera was playing footage recorded in DV mode.

Solution 1: Connected to camera via SDI output into AJA Kona LH card. No time code and no audio via SDI alone. Acquired audio from the RCA outputs of the camera. Captured in FCP with noncontrollable device control setting.

Solution 2: Connected camera via FireWire in our main edit suite (Dual-Core Intel Xeon) and FCP (v. 5.1.4) immediately recognized the camera after FCP's Easy Setup for 720p24 was set.

Return to posts index

Jesse Dean
on Jan 24, 2009 at 8:35:37 pm

Camera: JVC GY-HD110
Setting: 720P 60I
FCP: 6.0.4
QT: 7.5.5

Same old story. FCP won't recognize the camera/deck.

Any ideas?

Can I use another cheap device or method to get this footage as a QT format?

Has anyone had success with Avid, Premiere or iMovie? Version?

Download my latest House music DJ mixes at
http://www.mixdepot.net/thedirtyduo

Return to posts index

dan luke
on Sep 14, 2009 at 7:23:41 pm

I was having the problem of Final Cut ver 6.5 not recognizing my new (used) JVC HD250 using the firewire connector for tape shot 720p 24. After much dinking around I found a working combination. It is the Apple pro-res HDV codec (all 3 of them work) and HDV firewire NDF for the source.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]