FORUMS: list search recent posts

JVC GY-HD200 Looking for User Feedback

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Salloum
JVC GY-HD200 Looking for User Feedback
on Oct 2, 2008 at 4:52:41 pm

I'm considering the purchase of two GY-HD200 cameras with the Pro-Spec package (includes upgraded 17x5.5 lens, HDR100 hard drive and Anton Bauer battery package). Is there anyone using this camera that can give me first hand feedback on What are the positives? What are the negatives? Are there any problems with any of the different formats (720p vs 1080i)? Any and all feedback is greatly appreciate.

Thanks,
Mark

Return to posts index

johnny clark
Re: JVC GY-HD200 Looking for User Feedback
on Oct 6, 2008 at 3:00:23 pm

Hey Mark,
The HD200's are solid cameras. At 24p they are a charm. 60p starts pushing the codec but if you must it works. As far as the work flow is concerned, all of the major players support it. What caused you to take interest in the PROHD Lineup?

Johnny C

Return to posts index

Mark Salloum
on Oct 6, 2008 at 6:11:41 pm

Hi Johnny,

Thanks for the feedback. The only topic you brought up which I'm unclear about is that "60p starts pushing the codec". Are you implying that this isn't one of the better format settings to record in? Going to 60p was a big incentive for this unit. I've owned JVC cameras for 10 years and been pretty happy, thus the reason I was looking seriously at this unit (for our event and sports shooting).

Thanks,
Mark

Return to posts index

johnny clark
on Oct 6, 2008 at 6:36:13 pm

Hey Mark,
My opinion is this:

- (20Mb/s) / (24frames) = .833Mb/frame

- (20Mb/s) / (60frames) = .333Mb/frame

Hope this makes sense. My experience with 60p in the HD250 has been alright as I mostly use it for overcranking footage to use in a 24p timeline. I know that a lot of people like the 60p capabilities of this camera and I in no way am saying it looks bad. Don't let anyone talk you into or out of this camera. I would say try one out and if it does what you want then get it.

Johnny C

Return to posts index

mike gorga
on Dec 4, 2008 at 3:17:13 am

I can't even get Final Cut Pro 6.0.5 to identify this camera. I'm probably going to have to get out of the camera ASAP.

Also, their tech support is less than stellar.

Mike Gorga, Producer/Director
MEGCOMM Film & Video Prod.

Return to posts index

Matt Rush
on Sep 15, 2011 at 10:37:40 pm

Just a quick question!!! I have the JVC GY HD200U (B).. I'm wondering if anybody else is having this problem... When I try to capture any footage shot in 24p or 60p into (Sony Vegas) it will close the program.. But 30p will load just fine!! Am I missing a codec? I NEED SOME HELP PLEASE!!!!

Return to posts index

Sean Adair
on Oct 20, 2008 at 4:28:17 pm

I have the GY-HD200, DR-HD100 drive and 17x lens, and was also motivated especially by the 60p capabilities initially. I'm very pleased with my choice after some 18 months. I also came from JVC "pro" video cameras beforehand. The ergonomics of a "broadcast" or "professional" camera are important to me. Having a servo-operated manual focus lens adds feel and control to my work. The options available such as the awesome 13x lens, Nikon mount conversions for extended telephoto use, or 16mm primes with native 16mm DOF are very attractive. The 720 progressive format makes great technical sense to me. My older model doesn't have the 1080i capability, but I'd only use it for a specific client compatibility scenario, as the chip and acquisition are 720p and conversion in post is probably superior, although less convenient.

I expected to shoot mostly 60p, but haven't. 60p can look awesome for accurate motion, and is fantastic for true "overcranking" effects in a 24p project. However, ALL HDV compression is intensive, and this is the weakest link with this system overall. There are some scenarios, not necessarily intuitive, that can prompt artifacts and noise, and these are exacerbated by shooting 60p. Generally, I'd say "non-ideal" or "uncontrollable" light is where challenges begin.
Mind you, still frame analysis of 60p may not look quite as clean, but the frames are changing much quicker, and individual frame issues are less noticeable. Unfortunately, many final presentation scenarios (and all downconversion) ends up throwing out some of your allocated "bits" of information.

After years of fighting the "24p" look as having less motion information, I've relaxed my qualifications for shooting it, and even advocate it for more situations than before. People are used to the look, and even unconsciously prefer it, while 30p is neither here nor there. In down-conversion to SD, you aren't discarding half of your carefully hoarded compressed information to interlace.

Ultimately, for camera choice, much depends on your end needs, and your cinematographer preferred ergonomics. Rest assured that great results can come from this camera, but one caveat is that additional cinematographer knowledge and experience is required to make the most of the qualities it has.

Sean Adair
http://www.adairproductions.com
NYC

Return to posts index

ED stevens
on Dec 6, 2008 at 3:12:54 pm

In case you are interested.
I have a JVC GYHD200 for sale if you are interested, only 44 hours. The only reason to sell is that one very good client requested the sony format.

ED

Return to posts index

Mark Salloum
on Dec 8, 2008 at 9:43:09 pm

Is this the 200UB? Which lens do you have? What comes with the camera and what are you asking?

Thanks,
Mark

email direct at mark@videomagicpro.net

Return to posts index

ED stevens
on Dec 9, 2008 at 3:55:13 pm

THIS is not the 200UB The lens is Fuji 16x1
Included is the camera, lens, view finder, mic and AB Battery mount.
I'm asking 4300.00 OBO

Return to posts index

Glen Vandermolen
on Dec 12, 2008 at 1:32:17 pm

I'm also selling an HD200. Look at my posting in the classifieds forum.
It has the upgraded 17X lens, an 80 GB Firestore (with camera mount), battery mounts for A/B or V-mount batteries, plus tripod plate. I'm asking $4,800, but price is definitely negotiable.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]