FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems with GY-HD111

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Walker
Problems with GY-HD111
on Aug 4, 2008 at 11:29:37 am

I'm currently shooting with the GY-HD111.. great camera when I was trying it out in the showroom, but for some reason Im really struggling to get a decent image out of it (let alone a HD image). My scenes are well lit, I have the detail dialled down a bit, but I'm still noticing lots of grain and noise, and footage not too far off camcorders circa 1990!
Has anyone got any ideas how you improve the image quality? My preferance at the moment is shooting in HDV-HD 25p, and using Premier Pro CSĀ£ to capture. Many thanks for any advice and help given!

Return to posts index

johnny clark
Re: Problems with GY-HD111
on Aug 4, 2008 at 3:51:46 pm

Gary,
Sorry to hear that you're having troubles. The picture should not look bad. Maybe you've done all of this but just to be sure:
1. Make sure the little switch on the back of the camera is set to HDV and not DV.
2. Make sure that you have the correct capture settings in your NLE.
3. Make sure that your capture quality is set to high.

Does it look good when you have a still frame?
If it does your computer system is downgrading the quality in order to play the video in real time. The actual footage is fine, just when played it looks terrible. There are settings to change this and it's a user preference.

Let us know what your findings are and keep asking questions if you get stuck.

Johnny C

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Aug 4, 2008 at 6:11:42 pm

the "sweet spot" of the stock lens is 5.6 if that helps at all.

Return to posts index

Gary Walker
on Aug 5, 2008 at 7:06:49 am

Hi Johnny, thaks for your reply. I did check all you suggested. The problem seems to be both in HDV and DV formats. I thought perhaps it was a capture problem, so I tried it in a few other NLEs (Avid Express, Final Cut etc) but still have the same issue. When working with Premier, Im not given the option to alter the Capture of the quality as its taken from the specific JVC pre-sets. Would you recommend perhaps using a generic capture setting?
(thanks for the advice - you have no idea how frustrating it is to see amazing images that other people are producing with the same camera)

Return to posts index

johnny clark
on Aug 5, 2008 at 11:04:25 am

Hey Gary,
A quick idea wold be to plug the cam into an HD monitor via the component terminal. Play the video through the camera and watch to see if the monitor looks good. At least this will let you know if the footage on the tape is good or not.
Hopefully you will get to the bottom of this quickly. The HD110 is a great cam, but im sure at this point you'd ready to pull out some hair. Are you absolutely sure that you didn't record in DV or capture in DV? When I have done this things look pretty terrible for me also.

Johnny C

Return to posts index

Gary Walker
on Aug 6, 2008 at 7:05:08 am

Hi Johnny,
Last night I hooked the camera up to a HD screen (32") and the problem was reflected there.
The issue with the image degredation seems to be consistent in both HD and DV modes. What one friend did point out though is that when zoomed in the quality of the footage is noticably better - having checked the lens everything seems to be correct (not in macro mode etc) so Im now at a loss.
I did also download the trial version of AspectHD to see if a different codec made a difference, but again the same problem.
I've made an appointment to visit the shop where I bought the camera (their three hours drive away) to see if they can figure out whats going on - thankfull I still have a few months left on my warantee...
I hope that the problem is resolved quickly though - im itching to make a short film with it, and have the script and actors ready to go

Return to posts index

johnny clark
on Aug 6, 2008 at 12:47:36 pm

Gary,
This sounds like a back focus problem. Specially if the image looks good zoomed in and focused, that's the dead ringer. Are you familiar with back focusing techniques? If you have the fujinon manual then use the Star at the end and adjust your back focus. This will make a night and day difference for you. You should adjust the back focus regularly. Let me know if you need assistance with this adjustment.

Johnny C

Return to posts index

Gary Walker
on Aug 26, 2008 at 4:46:29 pm

Hi Johnny,
I thought I'd give you a quick update... I took the camera back to the shop and he plugged it into a 7inch monitor and the image looked fine. He asked me to send him some footage when I got back home so he can see the grain Im talking about.
I'm a little dissapointed because I got home and plugged the camera into a 26" tv and looked at the live output and it was terrible. Even in the best lighted conditions Im getting lots of noise - totally uacceptible for film prints and televison (albeit low-budget) work. I'm thinking as a last ditch effort I'll send it to JVC for servicing , and hope they pick up the problem. With the ever-looming end of warantee I want to avoid a large repair cost

Thanks for your help and support

Return to posts index

johnny clark
on Aug 26, 2008 at 6:12:15 pm

Gary,
I am really sorry to hear that the problems are persisting.
Are you connecting to your 26 inch via component or composite? Does the image look macro-blocky out of focus or just no focus? I recall that happening once when I was shooting in DV mode 24pa but can't remember at the moment how it was resolved... It was very frustrating and only happened in DV mode. Is your situation similar or is it happening all the time?
I guess if you've tried everything in your arsenal of troubleshooting and still have warranty time left on the cam then send it in. It really stinks to have to do that but maybe there's just something wrong that's under the skin. Please keep us informed as to hopefully help any others experiencing similar issues.

Johnny C

Return to posts index

Gary Walker
on Sep 5, 2008 at 1:04:18 pm

Hi Johnny,
Im connecting via a composite cable. The problem sounds extremely similar to macro-'blockines' but with a whole host of other little things that muck up the image. And to top it all off, the doofus who looked at the camera in the shop snapped the clasp that holds the cover over playback controls (and I only noticed when I got home). Im taking the camera back tomorrow and its going to be sent to JVC. With a bit of luck they'll be able to look at every part of the camera and resolve whatevers going on (before my warantee runs out!)

In the meantime my pilot episode has to take a shooting break for a few weeks until the issue is sorted, which is a bit frustrating...

Gary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]