FORUMS: list search recent posts

drop frame / non drop frame

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael McSwain
drop frame / non drop frame
on Aug 1, 2008 at 2:34:01 pm

So I have two JVC's, an HD110 and an HD100, both are set to record non drop-frame in DV-24p. I actually can't figure out how to change that option for DV24p, but that's another question. When I capture to final cut, the 100 is consistently recognized as drop and the 110 non-drop. I'm kind of baffled as to what is happening here.. Not sure exactly how big of a deal is is to mix the two in FCP but for peace of mind I'd like to have it all match. I've heard suggestions of selecting the clips after logging but before capture and changing the timecode to all one or the other, but why should I even be thinking about this. Both my cameras say they are capturing in Non Drop-Frame! Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
Re: drop frame / non drop frame
on Aug 1, 2008 at 6:59:14 pm

mixing the two types should not be a problem.

You really only need drop frame for network tv shows that have to follow strict guidelines for segment timing and ending.

Return to posts index

michael mcswain
on Aug 1, 2008 at 8:09:30 pm

thanks for the input.. I've been getting this message for some time now in FCP and never knew exactly what was going on. It has never proved to be a problem before and we do very little broadcast work so.. Now Im just annoyed with not knowing and so i'm digging around a little. My main frustration is not knowing why my two almost identical cameras are being recognized as two different things in FCP. And why can't I change the camera from non drop-frame to drop-frame. Is there something about DV NTSC that is natively non drop frame?? I'm still not terribly clear on the whole thing.

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Aug 4, 2008 at 6:04:22 pm

[michael mcswain] "Is there something about DV NTSC that is natively non drop frame??"

yeah I don't think that can be changed, but HDV can.

my camera by default (hd100) is drop-frame, yet my companion deck (BR-HD50U) is non-drop.

I've left them that way from day one and not had a problem.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]