FORUMS: list search recent posts

JVC 110U HDV 24p Final Cut Workflow

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gray Wilson
JVC 110U HDV 24p Final Cut Workflow
on Jul 29, 2008 at 6:05:28 pm

Ok here we go :) I usually shoot with a Sony V1U in 24pA with 2:3 pulldown which is removed when captured through a Sony HVR-M15U and transcoded to ProRez with Final Cut Pro 6 for true 24p. I am about to get a lot of footage recorded with the JVC 110U 24p. Does the 110U record its 24p with a 2:3 pulldown? Would there be any real change in workflow? And what is ProHD? It's really just HDV isn't it?
Sincerely,
Humble JVC NOOB

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
Re: JVC 110U HDV 24p Final Cut Workflow
on Jul 29, 2008 at 8:26:34 pm

[Gray Wilson] "It's really just HDV isn't it?"

yes but the bitrate is 19 mbps.

To my knowledge you will need an "A" upgraded camera
or BRHD50U deck with 1.06 firmware to capture using
the "HDV 720P 24" easy setup.

In your case you might want to capture all the tapes with
DVHSCAP.app (available in the free apple firewire sdk download)
as .m2t streams and transcode to ProRes with the free Mpeg Stream clip.

The only way to get the 24p is to capture it as HDV, it can't be done over component with a pulldown since its GOP mpeg instead of frame based like dvcpro-hd.

Return to posts index

Gray Wilson
on Jul 29, 2008 at 11:28:15 pm

I don't have a JVC deck, but if I have an upgraded camera I can capture through it? How can I tell if the camera is upgraded? So my Sony deck will not work? I will read about the program you are talking about thank you.

"The only way to get the 24p is to capture it as HDV, it can't be done over component with a pulldown since its GOP mpeg instead of frame based like dvcpro-hd."

I don't understand about the component. My Sony HVR-V1U records 24p with pulldown onto HDV. I thought thats how all HDV achieved 24p but guess I was wrong.

Thanks for the help.

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-broadcastcameras/cat-hdv/product-HVRV1U/

"Highlights
HDV 1080p24, 1080p30, and 1080 60i video capture, recorded as 60i (24p recorded with 2:3 pull down)"

Gray Wilson
realgraycreative.com

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Jul 29, 2008 at 11:47:07 pm

I'm saying its not the same as panasonic varicam dvcpro-hd where you actually capture 60fps then use cinema tools to extract the 24p video stream.

To get 24p as actual 24 fps video you have to capture over firewire using dvhscap if you don't have an "A" camera or 1.06 firmware on the companion deck.

if you capture JVC HDV over component you actually get 24p embedded in a 60p video stream. You cannot extract the 24p stream, like you could with dvcpro-hd. You have to edit that on a "720P 59.94" easy setup.

You can tell if your camera had the "A" upgrade by looking next to the serial number under the shoulder pad.

If your running the 110 then you won't need that as the "A" upgrade
was just for the HD100.

You should be able to capture 24p HDV just fine as is over firewire in final cut 6.x

The sony does record 24p within 60i like you stated, I was just saying its much different than the panasonic dvcpro-hd method
of capturing 60p and extracting 24p. thats all.

Return to posts index

Gray Wilson
on Jul 30, 2008 at 1:54:06 am

"If your running the 110 then you won't need that as the "A" upgrade
was just for the HD100.
You should be able to capture 24p HDV just fine as is over firewire in final cut 6.x"
Yes they are recording with the 110. So I can capture over fire wire using the free app you described before or through the sony deck but with the loss of time code?

Gray Wilson
realgraycreative.com

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Jul 30, 2008 at 5:20:43 am

you can capture with a 110 over firewire with final cut. :)

Return to posts index

Gray Wilson
on Jul 30, 2008 at 3:07:36 pm

Awesome! Thanks.

Gray Wilson
realgraycreative.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Weber
on Aug 1, 2008 at 7:59:36 pm

You can also try capturing via Firewire and then letting FCP transcode the files to Apple ProRes on the fly.

I have done this and it works very good. You will need to have more drive space available but you will be editing in a 10 bit 4:2:2 codec. If you do some searching on the internet you can find out more info about doing this. I don't think that I can link to other web forums here.

Daniel Weber

Daniel Weber
Producer
Adventist Television Network

Return to posts index

Gray Wilson
on Aug 3, 2008 at 12:38:43 am

I love this workflow and currently use it with all Sony equipment. I do almost all of my editing in prores and find it a joy to work with compared to other formats like HDV. HDV 1080p24 transcode to prores is the way I remove 2:3 pulldown from the Sony HVR V1U. A very specific reason for me to upgrade to FCP 6. The issue is can I capture/transcode JVC HDV on Sony tapes with my Sony deck into my Macpro? Is HDV, HDV regardless of being Sony or JVC? The previous posts point to yes. I'm just trying to learn as much as I can before I get a stack of JVC HD110U 24p HDV captured material. I'm JVC ignorant.

Gray Wilson
realgraycreative.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Weber
on Aug 3, 2008 at 4:08:29 pm

HDV should be HDV, but it isn't. There is HDV1 (JVC 720p) and HDV2(Sony and Canon 1080i).

Your Sony deck will play 720p30 HDV out either the HDMI or Component ports but not Firewire.

You will need to have either a deck or camera for the format that it was shot in.

Make you with for the simpler days of DV huh?

Daniel Weber

Daniel Weber
Producer
Adventist Television Network

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]