FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD250u capture tapes shot on the HD100u

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Edwards
HD250u capture tapes shot on the HD100u
on Jul 21, 2008 at 5:57:46 pm

Ok so i have miniDV tapes shot on a JVC HD100u. Apparently everyone in chicago thought that this camera was garbage, and stopped carrying it, along with the deck. However, i did find a place that has a new version of the camera. The HD250u. Can I use this as my deck? Will it play the miniDV tapes that were shot 720/24p from the HD100?

Thanks,
Justin
Taproot Productions

Return to posts index

TJ Walkup
Re: HD250u capture tapes shot on the HD100u
on Aug 5, 2008 at 8:17:49 am

It is never really advisable to use a camera as a deck. That is what the 50U is for. You don't want to wear out your playback heads on the JVC 250U. Limited use may be ok. I just found out thet TLC/Discovery DP Tom Curran uses two of the JVC GY200 and two of the JVC GY250U's for their popular show "big World Little People".

Also Academy Award winner Davis Guggenheim uses the JVC HD100 intercut with film and won his award for "An Inconvenient Truth" while using it.

Hit Show Series for 24- Director of Photography Rodney Charters, ASC, CSC uses HD100. EW Scripps Director of Engineering talks at length on the JVC site about using the JVC GY250U.

That combined with my own experience using it for commercials,industrials and broadcast TV along with rave reviews by clients about the work flow with the hard drive; all that convinces me that ANYONE WHO DOES NOT LOVE THIS TECHNOLOGY...usually doesn't understand it. At first if you don't take a little time with the drive to understand how to set it up for each situation, you will be more likely to make mistakes.

After some close examination you will see that any problems with this tech is about operator error.

America’s Most Wanted “As a shooter/director, I love JVC’s camera because its lightweight and has an interchangeable lens. We just traveled to London to shoot a World’s Most Wanted episode for November sweeps. I can tell you that our Executive Producer was very happy with the end result. We were able to shoot with a lightweight, shoulder mountable camera that allowed us to run around all day and not struggle like we did before with our larger, heavier cameras,” said Gavin Portnoy, Producer.

AMW first aired on February 7, 1988. AMW is tied with 48 Hours as the eighth-longest-running prime time network show ever, behind 60 Minutes, Monday Night Football, The Wonderful World of Disney, 20/20, The Ed Sullivan Show, Gunsmoke, and the Red Skelton Comedy Hour.

If stuff like this isn't case study I don't know what else is. Listen if I can get my hands on a couple more of these I will!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]