FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems with JVCHD-250 m2t HDV 30P loss of sharpness on DVD playback

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Gordoni
Problems with JVCHD-250 m2t HDV 30P loss of sharpness on DVD playback
on Jun 30, 2008 at 3:33:35 pm

experiencing loss of sharpness with DVD playback of MPEG2 footage:

original footage JVC GY-HD250, 30P M2t stored on Focus Enhancements firewire HD100.

Vegas project set to HDV 30P widescreen.

Rendered MPEG 2, DVD Architect widescreen template.

Playback in computer appears normal.

Playback on DVD: loss of sharpness on 30P footage only (the project also contains graphics and SD footage, etc.)

Advise? Guidelines?

Return to posts index

johnny clark
Re: Problems with JVCHD-250 m2t HDV 30P loss of sharpness on DVD playback
on Jun 30, 2008 at 4:13:28 pm

I am not familiar with Vegas but are there different compression settings for DVD? For sure it's not going to look like the 30p footage did in 720p but it should look decent. Interlaced blows! I would check to see if there is a 'High Quality' setting with your Vegas software and try a small render first to see if this helps the sharpness and overall quality go up. Please let us know when you get something.

Johnny C

PS isn't the HD250 a great camera!

Return to posts index

Don Gordoni
on Jun 30, 2008 at 4:39:24 pm

Thanks Johnny

I think that the rendering of the MPEG is key to solving the problem, it just perplexes me that it plays well on the computer and stinks on a stand alone DVD.

Don

Return to posts index

johnny clark
on Jun 30, 2008 at 4:52:56 pm

Agreed. Finalizing is a slow gotten hard earned reward for those who stick with it. I use Apple's Compressor and have some 'tweaked' settings that i refer to commonly. It pays to find the best solution with your system. Then once you have it 'Save it'. Same for web, HD, etc.
So are you saying that the SD footage looks good on the computer but bad on a standard TV? Hmm. Is it choppy or quirky in any way or is it just the sharpness? Hopefully we can get to the exact problem.

Johnny C

Return to posts index

Don Gordoni
on Jun 30, 2008 at 5:30:27 pm

It's fuzzy, almost like soft focus.

Return to posts index

johnny clark
on Jun 30, 2008 at 6:13:03 pm

Are you using a letterbox compression? I have never gotten anything good from letterbox-ing the 720p footage from the JVC to SD. are you mixing SD footage with the JVC 720p? If you are, make sure that the 720p codec has priority in the timeline otherwise there may be problems.
Johnny C

Return to posts index

Don Gordoni
on Jun 30, 2008 at 6:30:35 pm

I used the wrong setting when rendering the MPEG 2, I used the NTSC DVCAM setting and now I'[m trying the 720-30P setting. I will test it and let you know if it solves the problem.

On another note, how will I print this project to tape for my NTSC broadcast master if the interlacing is causing the problem?

Return to posts index

johnny clark
on Jun 30, 2008 at 6:46:46 pm

Is the final format for broadcast? Local or National? Unless your local can accept HD then it will most likely be SD. It would be worth it to call the station tech and find out what the best thing to bring them would be. Usually Beta SP. If you can't do that then a DVD is probably the best thing since they just dub the DVD straight to the Beta deck. Giving them a 'file' or a 'foreign media' will allow them the chance to really destroy your hard work. But that's just been my experience. Make it IDOT PROOF for them. Let me know how the render turns out.

JOhnny C

Return to posts index

Don Gordoni
on Jun 30, 2008 at 7:18:13 pm

we deliver on BetaSP and have just recently started sending the SD widescreen with letterbox. All of our outlets with one exception will also accept DVCAM but my question still remains, what is the best way to take a 720-30P show and turn it into an NTSC avi? Will it always look flawed or is there a codec that will do it well?

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Jul 1, 2008 at 5:15:58 pm

[Don Gordoni] "what is the best way to take a 720-30P show and turn it into an NTSC avi?"

It sounds like a Vegas work flow issue and nothing wrong with your jvc footage. You should ask the experts there.

Return to posts index

TJ Walkup
on Aug 5, 2008 at 8:33:11 am

OOOOH sounds bad! Usually operator error. So check your render settings. Isn't mt2 a lesser format? For instance I recorded something on the hard drive in AVI1 and is sucked! It was already compressed and fuzzy! The client was a PC guy and asked for AVI2...that worked fine and seperated the audio into 2 tracks....I was pleased he was pleased! But in general every one wants Quicktime files. Almost every one can use them. Can Vegas handle Quicktime?

The Engineers at Focus told me to always use Quicktime...NOTHING ELSE!

for the most part they are right, but on occasion I get a request from the UK and or a PC guy for AVI2 and it has worked fine.

Return to posts index

Don Gordoni
on Aug 5, 2008 at 3:57:23 pm

Hi TJ:

I think I had a double issue. Back focus was off and then I was selecting the wrong settings for the Vegas project.

Vegas will do Quicktime.

My project settings for HDV 720-30P should have been HDV 720-30P instead of NTSC Widescreen.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]