FORUMS: list search recent posts

Taking JVC HD250 on an airplane

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
johnny clark
Taking JVC HD250 on an airplane
on Jun 19, 2008 at 7:27:06 pm

Anyone ever taken a JVC HD100 or 200 series camera on an airplane? I am really trying to figure out how to do it WITHOUT checking it but actually carrying it on with me. Any solutions or ideas welcome. It is an international trip from the States to London to Kyrgyzstan and back. What have you guys done in this situation. I really want to take this camera. Help!

Johnny C

Return to posts index

David Jackson
Re: Taking JVC HD250 on an airplane
on Jun 21, 2008 at 11:16:31 pm

I took the lens and mic off and put the parts in my backpack wrapped in a towel, and checked the giant case I have for it. Didn't have any trouble. I just reset the back focus before I shot again.

TSA thought the camera was awesome when I set it in the gray trays, but it didn't make me stand out. I had a harder time with my PS3, honestly.

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
on Jun 22, 2008 at 1:30:21 am

In the past year I've had my HD110 (from the U.S.) to Mexico, France, Egypt, Greece, and Costa Rica. I always carry it on board, just as I did even when I had my big Beta rig. I have the smallest PortaBrace case that's recommended for it, and it fits under the seat or in the overheads (except on the very smallest regional jets). There is no issue physically, the issues are: Making sure when you go to a 3rd world country that you reister the camera when you enter the country (Carnet or other document), and the new ATA lithium battery regulations (do a search of forums here on the Cow for plenty of links and info on that).
I leave the lens on the camera, but I take off the mic off, as well as the IDX battery pack (unclips easily) to which my wireless receiver is also attached.
Ed

Return to posts index

johnny clark
on Jun 22, 2008 at 3:31:45 am

Thanks for the great advice Dave and Ed. Ed, what is the model of the portabrace case that you use? Would an HD250 with a 13x lens fit? Or if you have any suggestions for me I am certainly more than willing to hear.

Johnny C

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
on Jun 22, 2008 at 3:40:25 pm

I have the PortaBrace CTC-3. They also recommend the CTC-4 for the HD series, it's bigger. Another thing to consider is the famous PortaBrace blue. I considered going with a Kata bag instead, because it's not as recognizable around the world "Look everybody! I'm carrying an expensive camera! Come steal it!"
There wasn't a model in stock at the time that would work well for me.
As for carrying a camera on board without a case, airlines changed cary-on size allowances a number of years ago, which made my Porta Brace "Carry On" for my Beta-SP camera too big. It usually wasn't a problem, but a few times I had to argue with a supervisor to allow it, and I finally started carrying a soft, unpadded canvas bag with travel clothes. At the airport I would put my clothes in the Porta Brace and check it, and carry the camera in the clothes bag (very carefully!). That way it would be protected most of the time and still not have to be checked.
Ed

Return to posts index

johnny clark
on Jun 22, 2008 at 3:33:46 am

Dave, thank you for your post. Do you just carry the camera un-bagged onto the plane? Interesting. And that's ok? What did you do with it once you were on the plane? Thanks in advance.

Johnny C

Return to posts index

Kim Wang
on Jun 23, 2008 at 9:39:14 pm

We have taken our JVC HD110 on a plane with both domestic and international flight. I and my other camera person each carried a tripod ( in soft bag) and camera (kata soft case) to the flight without any problem. All other accessories are checked in.
international flight, need extra paper work, to declare you equipment list. So you won’t be charged custom duty when you come back.
Kim W

Return to posts index

TJ Walkup
on Aug 5, 2008 at 8:21:01 am

Yes I take it on the plane! Just get the carry on bag by PortaBrace and make sure that when you put the camera on you are near it and go twards the back of the plane it tends to be less crowded. Mine fit great and no one will make you check it in in the soft case. They will let you have it as your "one Carry On". No worries.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]