FORUMS: list search recent posts

JVC Everio GZ-HD7AA How to Covert .Tod files

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kate Heading
JVC Everio GZ-HD7AA How to Covert .Tod files
on Jun 5, 2008 at 6:34:49 am

Hi, I hope you can solve an ongoing problem for me.

My husband bought a JVC Everio GZ-HD7AA camcorder 8 months ago. We love it but now that the Hard drive is full and we want to download our video to our pc and burn it to DVD we have hit a brick wall.

The software that came with the camera, Cyberlink, will not work for video footage. It will download the photos I've taken with the camera via usb, but not the video. The files seem to be in a .TOD version and I cannot open them for viewing or burning.

I have just downloaded Streamclip 1.1 but it is saying that it needs me uninstall Quicktime (I have QT7) and then Install Quicktime alternative 1.61 or later and enable the extra quicktime plugins. Should I do this? I am running vista and I don't want to stuff up my kids Itunes!

Is this the best way to transfer my video footage? We bought the everio station and don't want to use that because we can only play the dvd's on that once we have burnt them. We want to be able to send our family our home dvd's!

I'm really very frustrated. Can someone please help me - I'm not up with a lot of technical jargon but I do know a little bit! I'm not sure if it makes any difference but I'm in Australia.
Please help!
Cheers
Kate

Return to posts index

Ben Griggs
Re: JVC Everio GZ-HD7AA How to Covert .Tod files
on Jun 6, 2008 at 12:02:22 am

Hi Kate,
I was recently using an Everio that put out .MOD files not .TOD I'll guess it's not going to be much different.

You need the proper codecs on your computer to open them, the K-lite codec pack will contain the proper one. With the codecs installed it should open right up in your normal video viewing program.

If you just need the .MPG extension just replace the MOD or TOD with that by right clicking the file in explorer and choosing rename, you will get a warning but nothing to worry about. It is tedious if your renaming hundreds of files I use a mass file renamer for that mess.

In short, install Codecs and rename the file extention.

Cheers
Ben

Return to posts index

Ben Griggs
on Jun 6, 2008 at 12:06:57 am

Return to posts index

dave sullivan
on Jun 6, 2008 at 12:20:59 am

If it's any help, I've been using 'ffmpegx' to convert my .tod files, and it seems to work pretty well.
Not the ideal workflow, but hey, the quality is pretty good!!

All the best

Dave

Creative Cow leader/JVC camera & deck forum host

Return to posts index

Kate Heading
on Jul 10, 2008 at 3:47:27 am

Hi,
Ben - I've download the Codec Klite Full version. Can you tell me what exactly on there I need to install for the TOD file conversion? It says that "Less is better".
Thank you, in urgency,
Kate

Return to posts index

Ben Griggs
on Jul 10, 2008 at 1:49:34 pm

Hi Kate,

I am not sure what you mean by "less is better" I will assume your talking about the codec installation. As far as I know .tod are nothing but renamed .mpeg2 files, so just make sure a mpeg2 codec gets in there. All of your media players will start taking advantage of codecs immediately.

Still like I said before you will have to rename the files from .tod to .mpg (or if you really need to .mp2 so you remember the compression)

Again, like I said before, my experience is with JVC Evrio .MOD files. Just a MPEG2 that is named differently by JVC.
Best,
Ben

Return to posts index

Casey Van Liefde
on Mar 22, 2009 at 9:31:37 pm

Hi,

I have read through all these posts but I am still having difficulty with this camera and it's .TOD files. Unfortunately i can't go back in time and not buy the the horrible thing, so i have to work with i've got! I have been using MPEG Streamclip to convert my TOD files which has been working ok. I work on a mac computer and am using the production premium software. So primarily editing in premiere pro. Once i convert my TOD files in streamclip i am able to import them into premiere but they always appear far to small in the preview window and by enlarging them to fit it seems to ruin the quality.

All i want is to be able to import my files into premiere at the correct size and quality and be away editing! I would have never bought this camera if i knew the issues that came with it. I have been living with this for over a year now and I'm just sick of not utilizing my footage to it's full potential.

Any advise or recommendations would be greatly appreciated as i have a lot of footage that needs to be edited so that i can start making some money.

Thanks heaps!
Casey

Return to posts index

stefan wolf
on Jun 30, 2009 at 7:57:53 pm

Hi Kate, I found an easy way of doing this. Open your downloaded .tod files in the Everio Director programme. Then choose the 'produce movie' option. This will automatically convert the file into an .avi ... I've been getting some nice results:

Best regards, Stefan

Return to posts index

Shawn Pinner
on Jun 12, 2008 at 8:47:28 am

Hey Kate.
I have been using the HD7U for about half a year now, and it is quite annoying when it comes to TOD files. As far as creating music videos and short films, I finally bought a Blackmagic Intensity Pro capture card and am quite happy with the workflow so far.
But for an easier workaround, use the Cyberlink Director Program. It is the video editing software that came with the camera. Don't use any of the other programs.

Plug HD7 in to PC via USB. Select playback on pc on the camera itself.

Close producer, which usually opens automatically, and open Director. After setting up your project go to file/import or right click in the library and selec import.
Use the browser to look in the hard drive of the camera in the SD Video folder and select the tod files from the folders of your choice. Select open, or import.
The program will import files to your pc and automatically change the files to mpg, which you can use in Adobe Premiere Pro or any dvd burning sofware. You can also convert the files to avi and other mpg compressions in this program by dropping them on the timeline and selecting produce movie, then select the compression of your choice.

This does take a while depending on the amount of files and I have had a couple of files drop audio, but that was not often. Hopes this helps. Let me know.
Later

Shawn Pinner
GOEFILMS.COM

Return to posts index

Kate Heading
on Jun 12, 2008 at 12:57:42 pm

Hi everyone,
thanks for your posts. I'm still trying to work my way around what you've posted.
Shawn - I got the Cyberlink program with the video, but now have a new computer and no cyberlink. I don't remember it having the director program, it just kept on asking me to upgrade to cyberlink pro to be able to download the video. I would plug it in by usb and then turn the camera on to the little pic showing to download to pc, and it just wouldn't do it.
When you say you bought a capture card - what is that for> I'm a little confused.
I wish we'd never bought the stupid video camera!
Is there something I can download now that I don't have the cyberlink program handy? I'm not sure where I put it after I loaded it on the last computer.
Thanks for your help everyone! Keep me posted on other ideas as you see fit.
Cheers
kate

Return to posts index

Shawn Pinner
on Jun 12, 2008 at 9:51:00 pm

The Cyberlink programs that came with my camera were Power Producer, Power Cinema and Power Director. I had the same problem as you with it wanting to upgrade and I was told it was because I did a custom install, so I completely uninstalled it and reinstalled it, and it worked. Not sure if that was your situation.

The capture card allows me to capture video from my camera using the HDMI, AV cable, S Video, or RGB out of my camera giving the option for uncompressed HD and SD video as well as compressed DV. It cost me about 400 dollars after taxes and everything. It totally avoids the TOD issue and I am very happy with it so far.

You can still back up your files to your computer just by connecting the USB and browsing the hard drive on the camera as you would a regular hard drive on your pc. Then just highlight the files you want and drag them to where you want them, or copy and paste them.

Cyberlink is the only software that I have seen out there that works with the TOD files. It may be worth it to buy a copy of Power Director so you can convert your files to usable codec.

Shawn Pinner
GOEFILMS.COM

Return to posts index

Gary Brown
on Jul 16, 2008 at 2:34:57 pm

I was looking at this camera to replace our staff cameras for the schools cable channel. In my research I was told that Sony's Vegas has been able to edit .TOD files since version 7e. We are currently using Vegas Pro 8. (if I had a small .TOD file I could verify this capability.)

There are full featured demos of Vegas Pro 8, available at Sony Creative Software. I would probably follow the backup-files-to-PC-harddrive workflow and then just drag them to the time line. My question to youis is, 'can I copy the files off the memory directly to the PC?'

The manual says I can't 'play' them but can I just copy them? Anyone?

GB-)

"Better, Faster, Cheaper ... Pick Two!"

Gary R. Brown, SCVE
Video Systems Engineer
Portsmouth Public Schools
Portsmouth, Virginia
23704-2135

Return to posts index

Angela Bush
on Aug 21, 2008 at 9:12:36 pm

Hi Gary,

I recently bought this camera and use Sony Vegas Pro 8.0 as well (but am very new to the program). I've tried dropping the files directly onto the time line and it says that none of file dropped onto the time line could be opened. I am having problems converting these .TOD files to their full capabilities and need some help. Is there anyway I can send you one of these files and you figure it out for me. I would be so appreciative because I'm so frustrated and desperate! I'm a student and spent all of my money buying this camera and I cannot return it because I got it on ebay. Please let me know.

Angie

Return to posts index

Gary Brown
on Aug 22, 2008 at 2:47:48 am

Hey Angela,

You should have access to my e-mail by now as a 'Friend'. Trim or create a file, 2Gig or less as a .tod file and send it to me using the free trial at http://www.YouSendIt.com I'll eagerly try to solve the riddle!

GB-)

Gary R. Brown, SCVE
Video Systems Engineer
Portsmouth, Virginia
23704-2135

Return to posts index

Gary Brown
on Aug 22, 2008 at 2:52:30 am

Ah Sorry Make that a 100Megfile for the free deal!

GB-)

Gary R. Brown, SCVE
Video Systems Engineer
Portsmouth, Virginia
23704-2135

Return to posts index

Gary Brown
on Aug 23, 2008 at 1:28:11 am

Found this on another forum:
a three-stage workflow, but only two of the stages are really essential -
Stage 1 - download all movie data (files & folders in 'SD_VIDEO') from HD7 via USB
Stage 2 (Optional) - Rename files - I find e.g. 'MOV03A' in folder 'PRG007' not very helpful (also the 'hex' suffix (e.g. 03A) tends to confuse some sorting processes). Therefore I bulk rename using PFRANK (from http://www3.telus.net/pfrank/) this is all amatter of choice, but as an example I include Project name, shooting date & time (actually file date/time), and the original 'hex suffix' (just to allow any back-track) in the new name.
Stage 3 - De-mux TOD file - the TOD file is an MPEG video file wrapped up in Transport Stream (TS) packet data. To remove the TS packet data I use MPEGStreamClip (from http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MPEG_StreamClip) & QuickTime Alternative (needed by MPEGStreamClip) (from http://www.filehippo.com/download_quicktime_alternative/?2615).
Startup MPEGStreamClip and load the TOD files via List/BatchList and then select the 'Convert to MPEG with MP2 Audio' option, select the destination, and hey presto! - full-quality mpeg2 file(s).
Since all that is happening is basic data transfer, there is no real CPU overhead and the speed of the process is limited only by the performance of your hard disk(s). I use 2 x SATA2 drives, one to contain the download from the HD7, and the other to receive the MPEGStreamClip output - and a very quick process as a result.

Gary R. Brown, SCVE
Video Systems Engineer
Portsmouth, Virginia
23704-2135

Return to posts index

Sean Harper
on Jul 26, 2008 at 12:16:26 am

I used to struggle with this Camera a lot but now I just wait a long time for the video to load.

The camera should have come with a disc to install the program Power NE for Everio as well as PowerDirector Express.

to get the .TOD converted to .MPG click file in PowerDirector Express
import and go to the folder containing all of the .TOD files and select all of them and click open:) It will convert them to .MPG files

and since you have Vista it will either be in your videos or someplace else:)

Hope this helps and the program even comes with the camera:)

Return to posts index

Shawn Pinner
on Jul 26, 2008 at 12:45:04 pm

Hey Sean.
Not sure if you do this already or not, but you can completely bypass using the Producer program to backup the TOD files from your JVC and just import into the Director program directly from the camera. Since the camera is a hard drive and the pc recognizes it as such, you can browse its contents and select the files you want.

I have been selecting all of the files I want at once on the camera, and importing them into director, which automatically converts the TOD files to MPG and saves them in a file that you designate for them.

Shut down director, and import the files into Adobe Premiere Pro CS3, and you are good to go.

I must also say that the Blackmagic Intensity Pro capture card has done wonders for my workflow with this camera. You can convert the files to DV, uncompressed SD and HD in real time via HDMI, S, RGB, or AV outputs.

I completely hated this camera until I figured these workarounds out and bought the Intensity Pro. Now, I think I am starting to feel better about my investment.

Shawn Pinner
GOEFILMS.COM

Return to posts index

Gary Brown
on Sep 5, 2008 at 5:35:56 pm

For all you Vegas users out there, prepare for an a-duh moment concerning .TOD files. Angie Bush sent me a .TOD file from her Everio, it was a direct transfer from her camera to disk. I was trying everything (see previous posts) to convert or open or ... and then I moved it to my second editor on which, during my last project, I had been forced to harvest some .VOD files from a DVD I had made before and lost the original footage.

To 'see' the .VOB files in Vegas' Explorer I had clicked the little file button in the upper right corner of the explorer tab within Vegas, and selected 'all files'. Viola the .VOBs magically became viewable, and usable. Well low and behold so were the .TOD files. I simply dropped them on the timeline and I was off! So ... it is true that they work natively in Vegas, once you can 'see' them. They are ideed MPEG files without the Lic fees, hence the different file extention.

The workflow is then: copy .TOD files to PC harddrive, launch vegas, (ensure 'all files' is on) and navigate to the TOD directory, load & edit!

GB-)

Thanks Angie!

Gary R. Brown, SCVE
Video Systems Engineer
Portsmouth, Virginia
23704-2135

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]