FORUMS: list search recent posts

JVC-GY-100U Issues

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kieran Valla
JVC-GY-100U Issues
on May 4, 2008 at 10:03:15 pm

Okay, if anyone can push me on the right direction on this one it would be very helpful. I am a freelance editor that is trying to edit footage shot on the jvc-gy-100u.

I received a hard drive with captured clips as .wmv's. I attempted to import them into Avid Xpress Pro 3.0. There were glitches on nearly every shot, some of them would not import, and there were audio dropouts. After this failed I tried to import the same files into Adobe Premiere Pro CS, but I experienced similar issues. There were glitches over the files, audio dropouts, but unlike Avid all of the files did import. I played the captured files in Windows Media Player and they worked, although there were a few audio problems and a wave like motion on pans and tilts.

I spoke with the Producer, who captured the footage to the hard drive and he captured with a Sony-TRV camera. He said that he did not experience any problems during his capture. The tapes played down fine on his camera.

I received the original tapes from him to attempt to capture myself. One of them was an HDV tape and the other 4 were regular Mini-DV. They were all labeled by the shooter as 16X9, 24P, 720P. Can 720P footage even be recorded to regular mini dv tapes?

When I attempted to play back the footage on a DVX and HVX the audio would cut in and out over and over. There were video glitches when the camera panned or tilted. When I tried to capture using these cameras the same glitches and audio dropouts appeared as in camera.

I recognize that DVX & HVX tape decks can't play 720p footage, so this is a potential problem. But why was the Producer able to capture the footage successfully with a camera that was not HDV or capable of 720p recording?

Also, I edited a piece for them a month ago and the same steps were taken. The process was successful. I know this may be confusing, but if anyone has info that could push me in the right direction it would be helpful. thanks.

- Kieran

Return to posts index

Johnny Clark
Re: JVC-GY-100U Issues
on May 5, 2008 at 1:27:54 am

Can 720P footage even be recorded to regular mini dv tapes?
Yes, JVC HD100 records HDV to MiniDV tapes.

When I attempted to play back the footage on a DVX and HVX the audio would cut in and out over and over. There were video glitches when the camera panned or tilted. When I tried to capture using these cameras the same glitches and audio dropouts appeared as in camera.
You can't play back the JVC HDV footage tapes on other decks.

I recognize that DVX & HVX tape decks can't play 720p footage, so this is a potential problem. But why was the Producer able to capture the footage successfully with a camera that was not HDV or capable of 720p recording?
Huh???

Since you have the footage on a hard drive try using MPEG Streamclip and import the footage to something useful. Why was everything in WMV files?? Was everything in HDV format?

I'll look forward to hearing from you soon.

Johnny C

Return to posts index

Kieran Valla
on May 5, 2008 at 3:20:16 am

Thanks Johnny. I will download Streamclip and transfer to see if this works. Tomorrow I am going to get a JVC HDV camera to play down the tapes with and see if this resolves my problem.

To clarify my confusing statement - The Producer, who captured the footage to the hard drive claims that his camera is a Sony and is not an HDV camera. So I don't understand how he was successful in doing this.

I will update you tomorrow with my results.

Thanks again!

- Kieran

Return to posts index

johnny clark
on May 5, 2008 at 4:06:21 am

No problem.
Thanks for coming to CCow for some help!
Keep us posted.

Yeah that is weird about the Sony thing....
Good luck though.

Johnny C

Return to posts index

Kieran Valla
on May 5, 2008 at 5:20:53 pm

Hey Johnny:

I tested the tapes on a JVC-HD-10U and they played down fine. The camera recognized and squeezed the 16x9 and the image looked great. So, as you said it seems that the JVC tapes will only play on other JVC cameras. If the tapes were recorded in regular DV and not HDV on a JVC camera would this still be true?

Now, the issue becomes how to capture the footage. I do not have access to a 100U and only have the 10U. The 10U only has USB out and no firewire port. I don't think USB 2.0 will capture properly in Avid. Would I have to capture in StreamClip and then import those files into Avid?

I'm trying to figure out the best workflow, so we can resolve these issues. I am getting Avid Media Composer, so I am able to handle the HDV footage. I want the Producer to have the same editing system as I do, so he can capture and give me the files as .omfs. Also, he will need a JVC camera to capture the tapes. What is the most affordable JVC HDV camera that will work for this purpose? (Will only be used as a deck)

Also, the 10U only does 720/30p and not 720/24p. Will this be a capture issue while using the 10U?

I think I'm almost to the bottom of this, maybe.

Thanks!

- Kieran

Return to posts index

Johnny Clark
on May 5, 2008 at 7:36:56 pm

If the tapes were recorded in regular DV and not HDV on a JVC camera would this still be true?
Any deck will recognize SD from the JVC HD100u, but HDV is a different story.

Would I have to capture in StreamClip and then import those files into Avid?
Streamclip will convert just about anything to anything.

I would suggest converting the HDV format to whatever you're used to for post work.

As far as capturing the footage, you only have tapes correct??
If so, find a HD100u and get the footage that way.
How did your producer record the footage?
Someone had a deck or a cam or something, see if you can get your hands on that for a few hours.

Last but not least, if the footage was recorded in 24p then make sure that you capture it in 24p. DO NOT pulldown to 30p from 24p at the capture stage. This will cause you so many problems later on it's not even funny! If it's 30p though and things look good through the 10U then I guess give it a try....

For the future I would recommend that your producer by a Firestore Hard Drive and just pass that along to you after the shoot. Saves so much time for everyone, and you could easily convert using streamclip or just dump straight into AVID.

Johnny C

Return to posts index

Henry Grevemberg
on May 7, 2008 at 8:11:27 pm

I had this sort of problem w/ a jvc-hd110u until i started using cineform's aspect HD capture utility HDlink. i had dropouts and sync issues with premiere pro capture from the camera, and other software options. i also had no problems recording direct to a laptop w/ onLocation. the workflow with this codec is pernicious, to say the least. it's worthwhile to go w/ the cineform option throughout you edits, to tiff seq for greenscreen and FX work, and stay out of the hdv deal altogether.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]