FORUMS: list search recent posts

JVC user comments on RED Cinema

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johnny Clark
JVC user comments on RED Cinema
on Apr 24, 2008 at 2:52:57 am

Hello everyone,
Just wondering how all of my fellow JVC users are feeling about the new upcoming line of RED Digital Cinema cameras and technologies.

I love my JVC HD250 but I must say that I am interested in what RED is doing.
With the launch of the new Scarlet camera for under $3000, it does raise some eyebrows. I mean 3k resolution for under $3000, whew...

My thought is that within the next two years all the major players (sony, JVC, pany, arri, etc) will come out with their versions of this new technology. I feel that RED is really trying to saturate the market by offering different solutions for every budgets. Smart! I think RED is a great company with an awesome product at a really killer price.

What are your thoughts?

Johnny C

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
Re: JVC user comments on RED Cinema
on Apr 29, 2008 at 5:20:50 pm

My main thought is that, if you're using your JVC mostly for cine work, then the Red may be a great, higher quality alternative. If you're using your JVC for run and gun ENG work, then it's going to be hard lugging all the extra Red gear around with you.
As small as the Reds are, they're not designed for running around. So it depends on what kind of shooting you do.
Ed

Return to posts index

Dave Sullivan
on Apr 29, 2008 at 9:41:15 pm

Sorry, forgot to respond to Ed's post.......

I agree, RED cams are not the sort of kit you would want to use for run & gun, but for features.......they are the business!!!!

*Check out the footage/stills on RED's website!!!!

Dave

Return to posts index

Dave Sullivan
on Apr 29, 2008 at 9:38:13 pm

Hey Johnny,

The RED cam range looks like the future to me, and at the moment they are unique in every respect, but it will only be a matter of time before the market leaders step up to the mark, and produce a budget 3/4k camera.
Sony, JVC, etc have deep enough pockets to be able to license the technology from RED, and produce their own take on the RED cam, but will this happen?, well, only time will tell.
The only drawback at the moment with going the RED cam route is the cost of a set of primes, OK, you can get a Nikon, or Canon adaptor for Scarlet, but to produce the best results you would have to shell out $40,000 - $60,000 for a used set of primes.
I was very tempted to buy a RED One late last year, but I'm holding off for a while, as I want to see what the big hitters have up their sleeves!!!
Oh, before I forget, still no news on the plate I'm sorry to say, but I'm still trying!!
Hope all's well, take care.

Regards & best wishes

Dave

Creative Cow leader/JVC forum host

PS: I've been away working, hence my absence from the forum.

Return to posts index

johnny clark
on Apr 29, 2008 at 10:22:02 pm

JVC is doing their thing with the ProHD and it's working for them.
I would like to see the HD300 at 1080p at 60fps and 720p at 120fps.
Wouldn't it be great if someone could build Apple's ProRes directly into the cam????!!!!!
My plan was to start capturing through the HDSDI from the HD250 into the AJA IOHD, but with red announcing all of this upcoming stuff I may just wait a while. Just when you think things aren't going to change for a while...... boom, new and better technology at lower prices. Awesome.

Johnny C

Return to posts index

Peter Ward
on Jun 3, 2008 at 1:52:18 am

If you could get a complete camera system for under 10k it would be great. But what you get for your 3k is a camera body. There's the recording system, lenses, monitors...etc (let alone post production). I think we're still some way off, and I think these technologies need time to mature. And to operate something like this is still going to require a crew. All other production costs haven't really come down--a dolly grip is still going to cost you the same, e.g.--i.e., at the end of the day, the budget of a typical feature film will hardly be dented, even if the cost of the camera were removed completely.

As for the suggestion that major electronics companies should jump on the band wagon, I think they have a vested interest in not doing so--their strategy is to give as little as they can get away with and still turn a profit. Who's going to buy a Varicam if a prosumer camera blows it out of the water in performance, e.g. (It's already a bit silly considering the performance of cameras like the JVC proHD's and the Sony EX1)?

Peter

JVC HD110U
MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo 2GHz
Final Cut Pro 5.1.4

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]