FORUMS: list search recent posts

Import Formats

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Skotarczyk
Import Formats
on Mar 18, 2008 at 5:16:20 pm

I recently shot footage on a JVC GY-HD100U camera in 720 24p and need to convert that footage to a professional finishing format. I am new to this camera so I need advice.

I work at a post house with DI capabilities and am trying to find the best way to use this footage in a Quantel IQ and EQ.

Quantels are very fussy about codecs from Final Cut, so I want to convert anything I import into a universal finishing format.

To the best of my knowledge, my options are:

a) Import into a Final Cut system using the best possible lossless codec (which I am unclear on) and export DPX files (which I am not sure FCP can do without 3rd party plug-ins)

or

b) Directly record to an HD-D5 deck using the component output from the camera (I don't know if you can output an HD signal, or if it is better than digitizing first)

Any advice is appreciated!

Justin Skotarczyk
DI Film
justins@milagropost.com
Milagro Post
Detroit, MI

Freelance VFX Artist
skoproduction@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

johnny clark
Re: Import Formats
on Mar 19, 2008 at 4:40:40 am

If you already have the HDV footage just convert it to whatever you're used to working with. ProRes is great if the programs you use will take it. Shouldn't be hard or take long. The cheap and easy way would be to use MPEG Streamclip (freeware) and convert your HDV to whatever. Let us know what ends up working for you.

Johnny C

Return to posts index

Justin Skotarczyk
Re: Import Formats
on Mar 24, 2008 at 4:36:33 pm

Assuming there is no real quality loss importing HDV, I've opted to simply convert the HDV QT's to an image sequence, such as targa.

I need to play with this a little more as I am having weird import issues on our iQ, but I think the image sequence is the route to go for the type of workflow I am going for.

Justin Skotarczyk
DI Film
justins@milagropost.com
Milagro Post
Detroit, MI

Freelance VFX Artist
skoproduction@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]