FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dead Pixels

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Burrows
Dead Pixels
on Mar 15, 2008 at 2:58:32 am

I purchased my JVC GY-HD110 back in October of 2006. So far I’m not impressed. It really doesn’t get used much as I shoot at work and I only bought it to take on a little freelance work here and there. In fact it only has 83 drum hours registered.

In that time I’ve had the heads clog twice (bad tape stock? Sony PHDVM-63) and I have a couple of dead pixels.

I’ve tried accessing the hidden service menu by holding down focus assist, user 3 and menu at the same time. I’ve only gotten the service menu to appear once and when I did, it wouldn’t let me use the pixel compensation menu. Every other time I’ve tried to access that menu it hasn’t worked. It simply goes to the regular menu. Can anyone tell me what I may be doing wrong? So far my rating for the JVC GY-HD110 is “steaming pile”.

Return to posts index

Dave Sullivan
Re: Dead Pixels
on Mar 15, 2008 at 4:53:17 am

Hello Matt,

I'm sorry to hear you had so many problems with your camera. Sounds like you've been really unlucky. Don't give up on your camera just yet, as the pixel correction procedure does work.....OK it's a bit tricky, but to be honest the hidden menu is intended to be difficult to open up, because it's a menu which was designed for JVC engineers to gain access to higher level functions during maintenance.
If you send me your e-mail address I will e-mail you a .pdf, which has been prepared by one of JVC's top engineers.

My e-mail address is:

goodrobot@btinternet.com

I look forward to hearing from you.

All the best

Dave

Creative Cow JVC forum host

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Mar 18, 2008 at 4:08:08 am

one thing you have to be sure your in HDV 24p mode.

It won't enable in another mode.

I've had to run the pixel mask procedure 4 total times in the last 3 years, but its worked everytime.

Return to posts index

Chet Wesley
on Mar 21, 2008 at 8:41:45 pm

There isn't a similar feature for the consumer/prosumer early JVC HDV cameras, is there? I have a dead pixel on my GR HD1u

Return to posts index

Dave Sullivan
on Mar 21, 2008 at 10:51:06 pm

Hello Chet,

Um, interesting question. As far as I know, there isn't a pixel blanking procedure for your camera, but I will check on Tuesday, (after the Easter holidays), and get back to you.
Happy Easter to one and all!!!

Regards & best wishes

Dave

Creative Cow leader/JVC camera & Deck forum host

Return to posts index

Matt Burrows
on Mar 26, 2008 at 2:17:19 pm

Thanks Dave,

I got the problem corrected but I'd still love to have that .PDF can you send it to mburrows1@sc.rr.com? Thanks to everyone who contributed.

Matt

Return to posts index

Kao Thun
on Sep 15, 2008 at 5:22:19 pm

I have the same problem with my JVC HD200u. May I have a copy of the PDF? My email is nuhtoak@yahoo.com. Thanks Matt

Return to posts index

Jiri Fiala
on Nov 9, 2008 at 12:31:52 pm

Same here.can I please have the PDF mailed to jfiala@gmail.com too? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Paul LaConti
on Jan 10, 2009 at 8:13:04 pm

Hi Dave,
I was reading on CreativeCOW.net about JVC HD 110 dead pixel problem. I'm having the same problem. Can you email the pdf prepared by a JVC engineer to access the higher level functions so I can correct my pixel problem. One of the posts said you have to be in 24p mode.

Thank you,
Paul LaConti
placonti@mac.com

Return to posts index

Doug Farris
on Apr 14, 2009 at 12:41:21 am

Is it possible to have that .pdf sent to me as well...? I am also having a pixel problem with my 110.

Thanks,

Doug
doug@vsomedia.com

In life, pain is inevitable... misery is optional.

Return to posts index

Mike Plante
on Jul 20, 2009 at 4:02:15 pm

Is it possible to have that .pdf sent to me as well...? I am also having a pixel problem with my GY-HD110.

Not one, not two, not three, but four dead pixels. The camera is less than two years old and has low hours. I'm puzzled. I've had cameras that didn't have dead pixels until the 7-8 year mark.

Thanks for help!

Mike
elegantvideos@aol.com

Return to posts index

Zoe Warren
on Sep 27, 2009 at 3:51:33 am

Hello my friend, this is my first post and the JVC GYHD200 is my first camera... I bought it in May and I already have 4 faulty pixels showing up in my footage. Kinda sad really. I've had to mask the footage with some free scratch remover tools, but you can still see them in shots that are handheld, or if there is motion between light and dark images. Even after a lossy mpeg encode and downscale they are still visible.

I guess for the price I paid it couldn't be perfect. Perhaps nothing man makes is perfect, but the camera is stunning otherwise. Though I make enough errors to not be able to afford the camera joining me.

Would you please send me the .dpf (dead pixel fix) .pdf?

zwarren@abccolumbia.tv

Return to posts index

Mike Plante
on Oct 1, 2009 at 2:53:11 pm

Not sure about the 200 but for the GY-HD110, it is as follows (sorry, never could get the PDF):

Dead pixel compensation -

1. Must be in HD 24p mode to access
2. Hold the focus assist button and menu buttons together to access menu.
3. Click on camera 1
4. Click on Pixel comp
5. Wait til it finished and reboot camera

It's probably the same for that camera as well. Yes, I agree it's very disappointing.

Return to posts index

Leo Baker
on Oct 2, 2009 at 9:26:21 am

Hello,

Make sure you have the camera on for 1hr minimum, also have the lens cap on. and turn the peak monitor knob on the viewfinder up so you can see the dead pixels then repeat the process. I have the PDF from JVC if you would like me to email you. It does work, but the trick is to leave the camera on for that time for the CCD's to heat up to show the blemishs etc.

Thanks,

Leo

Return to posts index

Enache Sorin
Re: Dead Pixels JVC GZ-HD7
on Dec 20, 2009 at 10:36:50 am

Hello. I have also a problem. I have a JVC GZ-HD7 camera that has a dead pixel. Pixel shown bright on dark background. Can do something? Any help is welcome. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays

Return to posts index

Les Bolen
on Jan 28, 2016 at 9:13:48 pm

I too have a GZ-HD7 with misbehaving pixels. Is there a service menu on the HD7u?

Les

Return to posts index

patrick taylor
on Jun 13, 2015 at 6:11:56 am

I was able to correct multiple dead pixels on my GY HD110

am told that letting the camera warm up for an hour or so will reveal more flaws (my pixels show up right away so I did not do this)
I did run this with the lens cap on, with an external monitor that allowed me to clearly see the problem pixels.

• put the camera in 24p mode
  • hold down the USER3 and focus assist and Status buttons for somewhere between 2 and 10 seconds.
  • a service menu will appear
  • select camera 1
  • select pixel compen (i don't remember the exact wording of the menu item but it was pretty clear)
  • select EXECUTE

screen changes and indicated that it is working
instructions on the screen came up instructing me to turn the camera off and then turn on again.

On attempting to see the results, I was a bit confused by a completely black image. (small panic)

a little fiddling revealed that the pixel comp had closed down the iris automatically and in my fairly dim room, there just wasn't enough light to register. I set the full-auto off and on again and got a beautiful, and correct image.

awesome!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]