FORUMS: list search recent posts

Everio GZ-HD7

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Toby Van Kleeck
Everio GZ-HD7
on Feb 27, 2008 at 5:54:24 pm

Does anyone know much about the performance of the JVC Everio GZ-HD7? It appears to have almost everything I'm looking for EXCEPT it doesn't mention 24p which would be a deal breaker. Anyone out there with experience using these? Thanks for any replies.

-Toby

Return to posts index

Dave Sullivan
Re: Everio GZ-HD7
on Mar 11, 2008 at 11:55:40 pm

Hello Toby,

I'm going to be trying an HD7 over the weekend......I will let you know what I think.
The camera looks like a really nice bit of kit, but I will reserve judgement until I have shot a few takes, and taken the footage into FCP......I will keep you informed.

All the best

Dave

JVC Camera/Deck forum host

Return to posts index

Dave Sullivan
on Mar 12, 2008 at 12:27:35 am

Hello again Toby,

Please excuse me......the HD7 records to HDD, rather than tapes......my mistake!!!
It's been a very long day!!! :)

All the best

Dave

Return to posts index

Richard Cooper
on Jul 23, 2008 at 11:45:25 pm

The GZ-HD7 is my main camera out of 3 that I own, the other 2 are peices of you know what compaired to the HD7. All and all, I love it. I when from SD to HD with this cam and WOW. THE CAM ROCK!!!!! Hard Dive based, USABLE manual focus ring and a cool focus assist on the BODY of the cam, viewfinder and LCD, The picture quality is sweet plus since it's a 3 chip CCD, the colors really pop out.

However, I do have ONLY 2 (and only 2) complaints about the camera. First, I have to convert the native files to something that Premeire Pro CS3 can handle, but JVC gives me an NEL programs that converts it. (Hopefully Adobe will hear my prayers and respond with a patch, but nothing so far). This is not really that much of a problem for me because the conversion time to capture 5 hours is not 5 hours. It's about 23 minutes. No joke. I timed it. It took me about 30 mins. to go from native to something CS3 could edit. WOW again. Like I said, I'm not mad at that...

The Second issue, which is no longer an issue for me, is that there is no headphone jack on the camera. You can't tell if your audio is destorting while shooting. This is only a problem if your using the audio from the camera for your project. If your using mics, then your good. Althought the quailty of the on-camera stereo mic did surprise me. Ideally you want to get your audio from a dedicated source. It does have an import for a shotgun mic and mines is on backlog order. So no comment on that.

All that said, if your on a budget like me but want a high quality cam, Dude go for it....

Oh yeah, if you do alot of hand held shooting, either invest in somekind of stabliztion system or get the wide lens converstion, and never ever zoom in. This is a HD camera and it's not very forgiving to shake. Unless you can take it to After Effects and mess with it in there, you'll end up with a mess.

If you have any other questions about the cam, just let me know. I just really put the cam through some serious test, so I can give you specs on it. But just put it this way, I selling my other 2 cam to get another HD-7. It's a good buy, and the price is still dropping.

Return to posts index

Claudio D'Addario
on Dec 12, 2008 at 4:08:31 pm

Hi Toby,

I'm answering this question although it was posted several months ago, just in case other people need this information, too.

The JVC Everio GZ-HD7 is to be said, having progressive sensors but records only interlaced. (there must be a reason why, I don't know)

The good thing now is, the conversion software that comes with the cam can produce deinterlaced progressive footage that looks really good at 60 fps. 30fps is juddering and looks really awful. But I don't know if this is a question of correct post processing. Maybe I do something wrong.

But the most important thing to me is, the output from HDMI seems to be progressive and from a high quality.

Generally this cam makes a good impression to me, nothing to complain.

I hope this can help anyone that reads it.

Clyde

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]