FORUMS: list search recent posts

JVC-HD200

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Hallquist
JVC-HD200
on Feb 17, 2008 at 4:37:28 pm

Does anyone else have this problem? When recording in HDV on the JVC-HD200, there is an audio dropout at the end of every clip. The video is seen but the audio dissappears even when played back in the camera.
This is very unproffessional when a raw unedited copy is submitted to the client to review timecode and I have to explain that the camera is defective and JVC knows about it but can't fix it. They replaced this camera already and it does it along with the sales reps camera at the camera shows.
When a client hears you are shooting with a defective camera, how comfortable can they feel about their project?
Not one of the magazine reviews mention this and they have been shipped like this since atr least February of 2007.
I'd like some feedback before I write to all the individual magazines and reviewers. Further more the compatibility of the Firestore is also affected by this. NOT a good and expensive investment.

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
Re: JVC-HD200
on Feb 18, 2008 at 9:27:47 pm

[Gary Hallquist] "Does anyone else have this problem? When recording in HDV on the JVC-HD200, there is an audio dropout at the end of every clip. The video is seen but the audio dissappears even when played back in the camera."

how much of the audio do you lose?

It sounds like you might be missing the last few seconds.

Return to posts index

Gary Hallquist
on Feb 18, 2008 at 10:04:36 pm

Actually I am missing 1 second but as I said "Professionally when you give a client a copy of raw for timecode logging you shouldn't have to edit out the audio dropouts before hand"

I have 2 of the JVC 200s and they both do it . Also the demo camera Ken Freed had also dropped the audio.

Return to posts index

Dave Sullivan
on Feb 20, 2008 at 10:05:19 am

Just to let you know.....JVC are aware of this issue, and are working on a fix.
For future shoots.....always make sure that your clips have 10-30 sec ears, so that when you come to edit your footage you won't loose any of the important stuff.
JVC have been working to solve the 'lost 2 - 5 sec' of lost video in FCP issue for a while now, but to no avail, but from the conversation I had with them last week....they are on the case....let see how long it takes them!!

All the best

Dave

Return to posts index

Gary Hallquist
on Feb 20, 2008 at 3:43:44 pm

It's only been a year now!
I wonder if they will fix the cmaeras I and everyone else already and sadly invested in?

Return to posts index

Dave Sullivan
on Feb 20, 2008 at 7:52:57 pm

Very good point Gary!! I would keep the pressure on, and keep contacting JVC. I had a problem with my HD-100 many moons ago, and I have to say that JVC were more than happy to solve the problem for me. Having said that it all depends on the country you live in. I live in the UK, and have only good things to say about the service I received, but I have heard some very disturbing stories from shooters in the US who have had nothing but trouble, and have complained about the company's after sales service.
The mismatched CCD/split screen issue springs to mind. I recall reading about problems people had trying to get JVC to even admit there was indeed a problem with the CCD's....one poster on the forum was even told to take a hike by his JVC rep......not the most helpful of responces!!!
Let us know how you get on with JVC.

All the best

Dave

Return to posts index

Diethelm Schirdewahn
on Apr 10, 2008 at 6:49:03 pm

Hi Dave,
did you got some news about the "Lost Few Seconds". I've got a new HD 200 in Febr this yeart and have sthe same Problem. I contacted the service here in Germany, it was unknown there,
After they examined one of my tapes, they said that they were alright. But the problem is still there, so they contacted JVC in Japan.
When I use other tools for capturing e.g. DVHSCAp and MPEG Streamclip, sometimes I can get the lost scenes, but not always.
Today I got the answer from JVC Japan. They say that it is a problem with Apple, but they don't know how long a solution will take. So do you, or anyone else know more about the issue?

Thanks a lot
Diethelm

Return to posts index

Justin Ferar
on Feb 22, 2008 at 9:43:26 pm

Hmm. I checked my tapes and found that yes, there is a single frame of audio dropout (not a full second) during playback.

What I'm curious about is why it matters. It's a window dub right? It has no effect on workflow.

BTW- you can reduce the digitizing gaps over firewire to 1 second by duplicating the HDV deck control preset and adjusting the pre-roll to zero. Or if you need the whole tape as 1 clip then you'll need the BR-HD50 and an Intensity card.

J.

Return to posts index

Gary Hallquist
on Feb 22, 2008 at 10:30:24 pm

If you look at your tape a little closer it is more than one frame. It is 20 + frames. My editing is frame accurate, we do not estimate. No it doesn't hamper work flow as long as you edit every single clip. BUT, after 25 years in business and giving the clients a window dub from this camera, they are now concerned about the audio dropout from a defective camera. I don't know about your clients but mine are used to getting better than this. I don't think you would buy a car with a broken radio because it still drives and doesn't affect the ride or flow.
My clients are as picky as I am and that may have some bearing of being in business for so long and turning away 20%+ of the business coming in.
Further more if you read the thread, that 20+ frames is now about 90+ frames when using the JVC approved firestore.

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Feb 22, 2008 at 11:47:18 pm

Its never been a problem for me because I learned early on you MUST have at least 10 seconds of pre and post roll so that things like this that are HDV centric, don't cause you any pain with your client down the road.

Return to posts index

Sergey Skumatov
on May 14, 2008 at 6:54:49 am

Hi! I have HD200U (USA) and have no more than 6 frames drops. Before I read this post I have never notice it. My footage have at least 5 second post roll. I think this is not a problem. For this money this is very good camera!

(sorry for my English)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]