FORUMS: list search recent posts

JVC GY-HD250U Studio Package

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Lahoda
JVC GY-HD250U Studio Package
on Feb 9, 2008 at 5:00:26 am

I'm looking into purchasing the JVC GY-HD250U studio package for use with a multi-cam live production environment and i'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with this setup. We're looking at using the KA-D250U studio adaptor and RM-HP25AU HD CCU combined with the RM-LP25U CCU controller. I'm looking for any input as far as how well this worked for anyone and the overall quality of the system. We're planning on using the cameras with an HD-SDI production switcher running 720p and having the HD-SDI feed come straight up from the camera in addition to the multicore controller cable.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

johnny clark
Re: JVC GY-HD250U Studio Package
on Feb 10, 2008 at 10:55:08 pm

Awesome!!

Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-JVC-KA-HD250U-Studio-Adapter_W0QQitemZ1502133...

Johnny C

Return to posts index

Dave Sullivan
on Feb 20, 2008 at 9:51:41 am

Hello Ron,

Well I've seen the studio package working, and I have to say it works very well indeed.
I'm not aware of any technical issues that might cause you any headaches, or for that matter any operational issues.
The best advice I could give you would be to arrange for your local JVC rep to pop in to give you a demo before you take the plunge.

All the best

Dave

Return to posts index

David Young
on Feb 20, 2008 at 10:12:07 pm

we have this exact setup at our church. The only exception is we have the older CCU's (RM P210) We are using the FOR-A HVS500 HD SDI switcher. We have one camera with the 17x HD lens and 2 cameras with 20x 2/3" SD lens with the adapter to make it work with the the 1/3" camera. It really gives us great magnification, but they are a little harder to find focus. They also tend to produce a slight halo at full zoom if subject is backlit with color. You can see our service on our website.

Churchofthehighlands.com

you can contact me if needed

david@churchofthehighlands.com

Return to posts index

Jimmy Sanders
on Apr 17, 2008 at 2:29:57 pm

I'm looking at the same setup. What are you masteing your services to? HDV?

If so, do you have dropout issues.
I've never used the JVC cameras, but have used Z1U's
Drop outs weren't too frequent, but on a master tape it would be a problem if they occured at all.

Also Dave, I went to your site... the video I saw was only one camera. What happened to the other two?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

David Young
on Apr 17, 2008 at 4:30:05 pm

Sorry, we stay on the center camera during the speaking portion, because we send the feed to our 3 video campuses and they want to see the center close shot all the time. We are switching the 3 cameras during the music.
I have not even used the tape carriages in these cameras one time. So I can't answer the dropout Q. We have two cables run to each camera in addition to the ccu one for HDSDI, the other for genlock. 1/3" chip cameras will never look as good as 2/3" cameras, but for the money, (about$25K per cam with lenses, Vinten tripod and marshall monitor and ccu units and cabling) It's hard to beat. We are capturing in FCP with Decklink card@ apple pro res HQ. Caldigit HDpro raid.

Return to posts index

Jimmy Sanders
on Apr 18, 2008 at 4:34:20 pm

What makes you say that about the 1/3" chips?

I'm finding that the major difference with the chip size is basically depth of field. I've been looking at the 16mm film lens adaptor for use in situations where I would want a shallow DOF. (It would be a lot shallower than a 2/3" chip I'm sure.

I believe these chips have more native resolution than several of the Panasoic 2/3" cameras.

How do you like the 17x lens?
Also, are you liking the quality you're getting to DVD? I would love to hear what you were using before, and how you're liking the upgrade...

Any drawbacks, benefits etc. would be helpful.

Thanks!

Jimmy

Return to posts index

David Young
on Apr 24, 2008 at 1:55:15 am

DOF is probably deeper on the 2/3" chips, but there is a major difference in overall quality of the image when the chips are larger.
Love the 17x HD lens, wish it was longer but it's sharp!
We are down converting our 720p feed thru AJA box and 16x9 letterbox live for our SD campues. IT's good quality. This is not an upgrade for us, it is our first system. We were in a high school rental situation as a church for 6 years with no cameras/i-mag. We were doing a lot of pre-produced content but no cameras in service.

Return to posts index

johnny clark
on Apr 24, 2008 at 2:39:45 am

Hey David,
Are you using the AJA IOHD straight from the HDSDI from the HD250 live?
If you are, could I get a 4-5 second clip in ProRes 720?
I am interested to hear how you are liking this setup.
Thanks for posting.

Johnny C

Return to posts index

David Young
on Apr 24, 2008 at 6:33:04 pm

The 250's are coming into the switcher in hdsdi and program out from the switcher goes to the AJA HD10 mD3 for distribution to many areas. One of those is a down converted signal (yc) to some SD dvcam decks and dvd recorders. (16x9 letter box for our campuses. The other passes through unconverted to our MacPro with the decklink hdsdi card.
Do you have an ftp site we could send the clip to? 720p Pro Res is about 27 megs a second.

Like the setup a lot! We were capturing DVCPro HD but the quality was a little soft. Pro Res looks way better, but double the drive space. A fast Raid setup is mandatory! We are using the Caldigit HDpro 2TB. (raid 5 = 398 mps)

Return to posts index

Gary Brown
on Jul 16, 2008 at 7:36:20 pm

Hey David,

I saw your post at the Creative Cow forums. I have three 250s and the older RM-P210. I am unclear as to why you have run genlock to the camera. I have the genlock attached to the CCU in the rack and have a stable picture. BUT … I have used our old SONY camera cables and wonder if that is why I have NO option in the CCU to select a 16 x 9 aspect ratio. I am looking at the For-A line as well as the Broadcast Pix Slate series. Either way with the old CCU I know I will pony an HDSDI line from the camera to the switcher. I find the manual somewhat wanting and am stumped as to why the cable is the issue (It may not be, & I am grasping at straws). The Sony switcher we have now is capable of a 16x9 signal but I can’t even get to the setting in the CCU for the 250 to try it out while waiting for the new gear. Any tips?

GB-)

"Better, Faster, Cheaper ... Pick Two!"

Gary R. Brown, SCVE
Video Systems Engineer
Portsmouth Public Schools
Portsmouth, Virginia
23704-2135

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]