FORUMS: list search recent posts

Distorted analog audio going from JVC HD100u to Kona LH

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Johnson
Distorted analog audio going from JVC HD100u to Kona LH
on Feb 4, 2008 at 10:04:14 pm

While digitizing some 720p30 HDV from my JVC HD100u through the Kona LH as DVCPRO HD using the component outputs I'm getting the video I need, but the audio is getting distorted and/or way off sync? Why is this? The audio recorded to the tape was fine when it was recorded and sounds good on playback, but not after it's been digitized out of the mini plug analog audio output on the camera through the Kona LH's Ch1 and Ch2 audio input xlrs. Could this be a Kona problem, a Final Cut Pro problem, or a camera problem? I tend to think I might have a setting wrong on the Kona, but can't figure out where. I'm not using an analog mixer at this time to adjust what should already be a good audio signal, just sending the analog audio signal straight from the camera to the Kona's audio inputs. Might this be a factor?

I guess I could capture HDV over firewire or use HDVxDV to get a good audio file from my footage, but my success with capturing HDV over firewire with this camera has been suspect at times. I haven't had the JVC HD100ua firmware upgrade applied to the camera, but it sounds like it might not be a bad idea to get that done. I failed to do this when it was a free offer from JVC until mid 2006. I'm editing on FCP 5.0.4 and know the value of trashing preferences/repairing permissions, but that hasn't this issue of yet.

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
Re: Distorted analog audio going from JVC HD100u to Kona LH
on Feb 5, 2008 at 4:17:14 am

does your kona have unbalanced (rca) inputs?

typically what happens the way you describe it, you end up with low audio levels, but not distortion.

I always capture through a console though so the signal is balanced going in.

try that if you can.

Return to posts index

Johnny Clark
on Feb 5, 2008 at 5:37:44 pm

Make sure that you have the latest QT installed.
If it sounds good through the FW ingest then something is up with your chain into the Kona. If it still sounds bad through the FW ingest then make sure your equipment/software is all up to date.
I personally dislike recording audio to the HD100 cam. I only use it for syncing purposes. I had a similar problem with the DR100 ruining the audio, but the audio on the tape was clean... hmmm.

Interesting problem, please let us know what you come up with.

Johnny C

Return to posts index

Rich Johnson
on Feb 6, 2008 at 1:42:21 am

Thanks for the comments. I went out to the local Guitar Center and bought a Behringer Xenyx 802 mixer. I also replaced my minplug to RCA cable I was using with a mini plug to XLR cable. I patched the XLRs into the inputs and adjusted the level and trim as need in order to get good undistorted main mix into the editor from the camera. Of course I really need a video deck to play the HDV tapes in the first place, but the camera will continue to work for now until it's paid off and $2700 falls out of the sky for the JVC HDV deck.
Sending the unblanced RCA into a balanced XLR on the Kona using the RCA to XLR and then male-male connector wasn't getting the job done. The unbalanced signal was not playing nice when connected to the XLRs. Problem solved

Return to posts index

johnny clark
on Feb 6, 2008 at 5:04:38 am

Rich,
Very glad to see that you solved the problem. Good work!!

Johnny C

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Feb 7, 2008 at 6:09:59 pm

good to hear you solved it Rich :)

Johnny you mentioned not using the HD100 for audio recording.

I recently discovered just how poor the headphone pre-amp is in this camera, adding hiss that isn't actually on the tape. And whats recorded to tape seems a bit noisier than most other cameras even with a really nice shot gun mic.

is that why you don't use it?

Return to posts index

Johnny Clark
on Feb 7, 2008 at 7:26:08 pm

Hey Chris,
I really like the HD100 but the audio blows.
Usually I record into pro tools through a Vintech X73i and a Rode NTG2 mic on set.
This yields great results. I also record into the Cam to sync up the audio later. Depending on the straight audio from the camera is really risky anyways, specially if someone is paying. The general rule of thumb is that people will watch just about anything (quality wise) but if it sounds bad they will tune out or turn off much faster. Good clean beefy audio is a must.
Like you said the headphone amp is very hissy, whatever though headphone amps in general are always noisy. I'm still waiting to test drive the AJA IOHD on set to capture straight to ProRes using the HD250. Through that you can hook all your audio gear and sync as well.
Sorry for the rambling, hope this helps.

Johnny C

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Feb 8, 2008 at 12:06:15 am

[Johnny Clark] "Depending on the straight audio from the camera is really risky anyways, specially if someone is paying."

from the HDxxx series in general or all cams?

I deal with lots of footage and find that camera audio is used quite often and usually not too bad. From HDCAM / DVCPRO-HD and XDCAM.

Nothing our audio engineer can't make sound fabulous on the end product.

of course a lot of that is outdoor type shooting and rarely in studio recording which I would definitely do through protools anyway.

Return to posts index

johnny clark
on Feb 8, 2008 at 1:23:20 am

Hey Chris,
Yes, sorry, I am referring to the JVC HD100.
The 'mic pres' specifically on the JVC HD100, very noisy.
Line in from a good mic ore is better of course, still thin to me though.

Johnny C

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]