FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Deck Purchase Suggestions?

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt K
New Deck Purchase Suggestions?
on Jan 28, 2008 at 6:21:11 pm

Hello,
Currently use a JVC GY-HD110. Mostly shoot on 60i and HDVSD-60P right now. We currently have a Sony DSR-11 deck that does not play any of the HDV settings so we are having to digitize using the camera....something I don't want to do very much because of the wear and tear. Shoot on Mini-DV.

We use FCP Studio 2 on a Mac Pro using OS X.

Do you all have any suggestions about what deck we should buy that would complement our existing system that would play any HDV stuff we would shoot using the JVC?

Just looking for a direction to start researching and any pros and cons of what you may already have.

Thanks.

-Matt K

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
Re: New Deck Purchase Suggestions?
on Jan 28, 2008 at 6:50:34 pm

JVC BR-HD50U is the companion deck.

its quite versatile too. It can do tape to tape dubs over firewire to the camera with exact timecode intact even in 24p mode.

can play/record DV to large and small dv tapes

can play dvcam

and of course plays the JVC HDV tapes in all the supported frame rates.

Return to posts index

Matt K
on Feb 19, 2008 at 9:45:01 pm

Okay Chris, we bought the BR-HD 50 and it plays great to the monitor all the formats that our JVC HD 110 shoots.

But, and I am hoping you can help here. I can't seem to find the magic flavor combination to make it work on our FCP 6.0.2. Specifically, I cannot get the Capture tool to allow me to see HDV-SD60p and HDV-HD30p. The only way I have been able to see what is going on is to using Apple Intermediate codec and that does not allow me to add in and out points and batch capture. It just says capture and it goes to town.

I am hoping to be able to capture these two formats in the same easy fashion that I do the NTSC DV 60i stuff.

Could you please suggest what the magic combo might be? We are using firewire from the deck to the Mac Pro OSX.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

-Matt K

Return to posts index

Dave Sullivan
on Feb 20, 2008 at 10:08:19 am

Well, it's got to be the JVC BR-HD50U.....I've been using mine since it first came onto the market, and I have to say it's a very nice bit of kit!!
The unit is also great value for money, and if you shop around at the moment you can find some great deal from online broadcast companies.

All the best

Dave

Return to posts index

johnny clark
on Jan 29, 2008 at 1:38:56 am

Hey Matt,
Do you only have one HD110u?
If so, just get a Firestore and dump straight into FCS2.
I am all with you about using the cam for import...

Good luck!

Johnny C

Return to posts index

Matt K
on Jan 29, 2008 at 3:33:12 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys. If I could get a deck for the cost of the Firestore....that would be ideal.

So, I guess I have to get past my reluctance to go to a tapeless world. Firestore sounds great....but I guess I am so old-school because I really like having a tape to touch and hold and throw in the trash when it gets a wrinkle in it.

I have never seen a Firestore in action. Now I have something to go look for while my machine is rendering.

Thanks again for the help ya'll.

-Matt K

Return to posts index

johnny clark
on Jan 29, 2008 at 3:43:48 pm

Good luck Matt.
There are so many gidgits and gadgets to make life easier, it's just picking the one that will work for you. Try until you find it...

Johnny C

Return to posts index

Stuart Allman
on Jan 30, 2008 at 4:54:14 pm

I'm not sure if it's compatible with the JVC version of HDV, but I have a Sony HVR-M15U listed on the classified ads section of the forums and it's about the same cost as a firestore. It does HDV, DVCAM, and DV with mini-DV and full size DV cassettes.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/38/859163

Stuart

Return to posts index

Gary Hallquist
on Feb 20, 2008 at 3:59:23 pm

Is it true that the JVC HDV deck only records through IEEE and (sadly) S-VHS ? That's all I can get out of all the specs on the JVC site. My component studio is rendered not compatible since Component is a better signal than IEEE.
On another issue, the Firestore has a 2gb file size limit(FAT 32) so you will get audio dropouts at about every 13 minutes.
So if you are shooting an important speech like the Governor of Mayor, you need to have your subject pause every 13 minutes or so in order get the whole speech. Solutions are welcome!! A laptop is a solution but you can't mount it to the side of the camera for ENG. Bottom line , after investing a lot of money in the Firestore recommended for the JVC HD200 I realize that tapeless with JVC is not working. I've invested over $80,000 on JVC in the past but can't seem to get it right not to mention the audio dropouts at the end of every HD clip I record with the HD-200.

Return to posts index

Mike Maloney
on Jul 27, 2008 at 1:36:45 pm

Question about the BR HD50U deck, a post on the BHVideo site has a reader review indicating that that FCP would only recognize the deck with an Intel Mac. Does anyone know that is authentic?

I'm seriously considering the unit, but not if I have to go purchase an Intel Mac.

Mike Maloney
Beartooth Recording Studios
http://www.beartoothrecording.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]