FORUMS: list search recent posts

hd7 for short films?

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Thomson
hd7 for short films?
on Jan 26, 2008 at 11:53:01 am

Hi,

I am thinking about buying an HD7 for making my first short films whilst attending film school this year. I would like to get the 'film look' without having to do too much post production. Do you guys think the HD7 is up to the job? Is there a workaround to use headphones. I could probably get a second hand XL1S for a similar price - would this be a better choice? Should I just wait and get an XL2 as this appears to be a popular choice when starting out.

Thanks for any info.

Paul

Return to posts index

Peter Ward
Re: hd7 for short films?
on Jan 26, 2008 at 5:52:59 pm

Hi Paul,

Of cameras in the the HD7 price range, I would take the Canon HV20/HV30 over the JVC or any other alternatives. The HD7's low light performance is abysmal, its image is noisy, color come out very artificial and the TOD files can be a nightmare to bring in to an NLE. The only advantages of the JVC, apart from looks, are having a proper focus ring and focus assist. Otherwise, there is little to recommend the camera. And the Canon has headphone out, a miracle on consumer camcorders these days!

If you do still choose the camera, or any other lacking a headphone jack, there is a workaround:

a stereo level meter to amplify the signal*

and

an RCA to mini adaptor to connect the RCA audio out cables from the camera ...

Otherwise you can connect headphones directly to the RCA line out, but chance are the levels will be too low to be useful.

Best,

Peter

In case my HTML doesn't work, here are B&H SKU's for the parts you'll need:

*SIVU150
**HOYCSMM2RF

Just go to bhphotovideo.com and enter the SKU's in the search field.

Return to posts index

Shawn Pinner
on Feb 11, 2008 at 4:42:37 pm

I have a JVC HD7U and find it takes decent pictures for the money. I will say that it is good for short films, projects for internet broadcast and video story boards. You will really need to prepare for a nightmare workflow if you plan to stick with the TOD file transfer. We have been capturing its footage via component out and the picture looks great. I have also read up on the Deck Link Intensity Pro for its HDMI capture abilities and am excited to set up a system with it. I have not heard a lot about the quality from this card as of yet.
The HD7 takes a good bit of light and at the same time, is very sensitive to sun light. There is not an ND filter on it, so you will have to buy filters attachments.
For an easier workflow, I would go with the Canons or any other HDV or SD camera. But I still say, the HD7 is decent for the money and will introduce you to the HD environment.

You can see some of what we have shot with the HD7 at
http://www.goefilms.com

Check out OMC and Interrogation on our playlist.

Shawn Pinner
GOEFILMS.COM

Return to posts index

Anmol Mishra
on Jun 20, 2009 at 1:48:01 pm

Hi Shawn. Just wondering if the HD7 outputs uncompressed over HDMI if you do not record (without any overlays) ? Thanks@

Return to posts index

Anmol Mishra
on Jun 20, 2009 at 1:49:02 pm

And if you press record - still ?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]