FORUMS: list search recent posts

Difference between JVC HD200 shooting 720 60p and HVX200 doing the same?

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ventureforth
Difference between JVC HD200 shooting 720 60p and HVX200 doing the same?
on Dec 13, 2007 at 11:51:25 pm

Simple question (a.k.a. dumb?), but I have been reading great things about the HD200 shooting at 60p. From the things I've read, though, it makes it sound as if 720 60p is almost unique to the JVC at the mid-range HD level of camera. The HVX has always had 720 60p, eight? Or am I missing something? Is there any difference between the HD200 and HVX shooting 720 60p (aside from the higher resolution and better lens, etc., of the JVC)?

Thanks.

Trip Gould

Editor - Composer - Professor

Return to posts index

Justin Ferar
Re: Difference between JVC HD200 shooting 720 60p and HVX200 doing the same?
on Dec 16, 2007 at 12:03:57 am

Eventually they end up as the same rez and frame rate. It's how they get there that is different.

So the only difference is that JVC shoots to tape (pixel for pixel) on HDV while Panny shoots to P2 as DVC Pro HD (anamorphic).

BTW- the glass on the JVC's 16x fuji is probably slightly worse than the glass on the HVX. BUT it's fully manual operation makes it ideal. The cool thing is that you can upgrade the lens but will cost serious cash.

The only reason we went with the JVC is because of the ergonomics. For serious run and gunners there is really no other option except Canon's half shoulder mount H1.

Return to posts index

Peter Ward
on Jan 26, 2008 at 6:19:57 pm

Hi,

I'm not sure how the HVX200 arrives a 720p60, but I suspect is superior to the way it's done on the HD200. Apparently the JVC runs the tape at the same speed regardless of whether you're shooting at 30p or 60p. This means shooting at 60p you'll only get half the information per frame than at 30p. I.e., because of the higher compression applied, you're not much better off shooting 60p in HD on the 200 than you are shooting 60p SD on an HD110. Because the HVX200 does not use tape it can, in theory, increase the bitrate while shooting giving the camera true a 'overcrank' function. At any rate, this is the case on the Sony EX1.

Best,

Peter

JVC HD110U

Return to posts index

Johnny Clark
on Feb 7, 2008 at 10:05:12 pm

When I look at footage from SD60p and HD60p from the JVC there is a definite difference. If you strictly look at the 'numbers' that's one thing but comparing picture to picture is a totally different story. I feel that so many people knock these cams (JVC) because of the numbers without looking at the picture. For the price both of these cams are great, I prefer the JVC.

Johnny C

Return to posts index

Peter Ward
on Feb 9, 2008 at 2:32:19 am

I own an HD110--I like the JVC cameras just fine. But I don't think they are the best choice where one needs to be shooting a lot of motion (which I presume is the case when choosing to shoot 60p). Even in HD 30p my 110 is prone to 'breaking'. I can only imagine it gets much worse shooting HD 60p since this is a constant bitrate codec. (In my opinion you are better off with an unbroken SD image than an HD image that noticeably broken--at any rate in either case resolution is being effectively lowered.) Contra the ProHD 200's, the EX1 is variable bitrate and the in case of the HVX there's no interframe compression to begin with so breaking is never an issue. This isn't a question of numbers, its a fundamental technical limitation of the design of this particular codec and recording system (E.g. AVCHD performs almost as well as HDV at half the bitrate).

Peter

JVC HD110U
MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo 2GHz
Final Cut Pro 5.1.4

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]