FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD 110 vs. 200

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Corey O'Quinn
HD 110 vs. 200
on Dec 4, 2007 at 8:03:41 pm

I am buying 3 cameras for my high school's broadcasting class. These cameras will be used to film the daily news, as well as for the more advanced students to use in their projects. The problem I am having is deciding between the two cameras (HD 110 & HD200). I cant really tell a major difference in the two cameras besides the significant price increase. Is the 200 really worth the price and which one would best suit our needs?

Return to posts index

Justin Ferar
Re: HD 110 vs. 200
on Dec 10, 2007 at 8:19:42 pm

The HD200 gives you the option of shooting 720p60 which is more suited for ENG and sports. The 110 is limited to 720p30 which is fine and looks great. You'll just notice the slower frame rate during scenes with lots of motion.

In a nutshell, 720p is hyper reality.

That said, both cameras handle regular DV equally.

The only other thing I would mention is that the HD200 comes pre-configured with Anton Bauer battery system, which is huge for those needing long run times such as doc film makers and run and gunners. The 110 uses a consumer battery system.

If you intend to primarily work in SD then then the 110 is wonderful and has component out for live studio integration in HD or SD. Now if you in fact had three functioning HD200's you would probably have the highest end student program in the country, including universities!

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
on Dec 12, 2007 at 5:19:52 pm

The 110 also shoots 24P. I wouldn't call 30P hyper-reality, I save that description for interlaced video. Progressive video looks more film-like, although 24P looks even more so.
As for the battery, the HD-110 includes an Anton Bauer Trimpac battery system (you have to send away for it though). I got a free one when I bought my 110 last spring (it's for sale, cheap, BTW, since I use an IDX system!) and it's still offered through March 31st.
Ed

[Justin Ferar] "The HD200 gives you the option of shooting 720p60 which is more suited for ENG and sports. The 110 is limited to 720p30 which is fine and looks great. You'll just notice the slower frame rate during scenes with lots of motion.

In a nutshell, 720p is hyper reality.

That said, both cameras handle regular DV equally.

The only other thing I would mention is that the HD200 comes pre-configured with Anton Bauer battery system, which is huge for those needing long run times such as doc film makers and run and gunners. The 110 uses a consumer battery system.

If you intend to primarily work in SD then then the 110 is wonderful and has component out for live studio integration in HD or SD. Now if you in fact had three functioning HD200's you would probably have the highest end student program in the country, including universities! "

Return to posts index

Justin Ferar
on Dec 12, 2007 at 6:00:53 pm

Oops, I meant 720p60 is hyper reality...

forgot the 60 fps.

The trimpac deal is pretty amazing.

Return to posts index

corey o'quinn
on Dec 12, 2007 at 6:49:02 pm

was the battery system free? because B&H offers one for extra? If so where do I get it? also is it normal for a pro camera to only have manual focus?

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
on Dec 12, 2007 at 6:53:51 pm

B&H offer it for free, or should I say JVC does, but B&H has the rebate button right under the price of the 110 models.
It's here:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?shs=jvc+hd-110&ci=0&sb=ps&p...
Ed

[corey o'quinn] "was the battery system free? because B&H offers one for extra? If so where do I get it? also is it normal for a pro camera to only have manual focus? "

Return to posts index

Justin Ferar
on Dec 13, 2007 at 6:56:12 am

Pro cameras certainly do not have auto focus, so yes. This is normal.

Return to posts index

corey o'quinn
on Dec 13, 2007 at 7:50:32 pm

ok i didnt think they usually did but my teacher had some concerns. Thanks for the help

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
on Dec 15, 2007 at 1:32:07 am

The 200 / 250 series cameras also have improved processing systems (14 bit) and a process path that totally eliminates the SSE effect, so you will get a superior quality image from the 200 / 250 cameras. The addition of 720p 60 is also a definate plus.

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

Terry Nixon
on Dec 27, 2007 at 5:32:00 pm

Here's the differences on the GY-HD110 and GY-HD200 from the JVC site:

Everything the GY-HD110U has plus:

* 14-bit A/D (better highlight, shadow, & color gradations)
* New DSP (improves picture accuracy)
* Wide band analog front end (lower noise, better low light, sharper image)
* High speed Super Encoder (enables 50p/60p recording)
* New cross converter outputs 1080i from live or recorded HDV
* Image inversion (HV flip) for prime lenses
* White shading adjustment to compensate for differing lens characteristics
* Pro Anton/Bauer battery mount (basic battery & adapter not included)
* 6-pin remote control connector
* 2-year warranty (parts) 1-year (labor)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]