FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help on capture

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Goldsmith
Help on capture
on Nov 26, 2007 at 11:23:59 pm

Hello! I am needing some advice for our new JVC HD250 camera. We are a church in Missouri that is getting ready to launch our first multi-site venue in January. We will be recording on Saturday nights with playback via DVD on Sundays (SD only at this point).

My question is the best way to capture the service on Saturday evening. I will be doing some minimal post-production via Adobe Premiere. I have a pro-model DVR available if needed. I have heard of capturing direct to an external hard drive and then dumping the content for editing. I have also heard of direct capture to the computer hard drive. I also wonder about the DVR and pulling from there.

What is the best method with the highest quality results? This will also be done be volunteers in the long run, so hopefully a system/process can be developed as well.

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Justin Ferar
Re: Help on capture
on Nov 27, 2007 at 8:48:21 pm

Hi Michael,

Will you also be projecting the HD250 live or just recording for later? Also do you have access to the JVC BRHD50 deck?

Lastly, do need HD footage at any point yet or can you live with DV at this point?

Return to posts index

Michael Goldsmith
on Nov 27, 2007 at 11:00:22 pm

Justin,

The camera is currently hooked up to the DVR and then to a switcher in case we want to show something live on screen. However, we do very little IMAG if any and this won't be a strategy for us in the future.

I do not have access to the BRHD50 deck. We will only be shooting SD for awhile - no HD in the near future.

Thanks for any input you might have!

Return to posts index

Justin Ferar
on Nov 28, 2007 at 7:54:01 am

Well then it sounds like the easiest thing to do is just set the camera to shoot standard def DV to tape (you can choose either anamorphic 16x9 or the camera can even shoot good old 4x3). If shooting standard def then anamorphic 16x9 looks a lot better than 4x3 with this camera.

Just use the camera as a deck to transfer the footage to your computer with Premier.

You could capture uncompressed to the DVR (via SDI if the DVR has this option) which would give you stunning image quality but you would need one seriously smokin' top of the line DVR. Honestly this would be very impractical.

You'll have to get into the menus to set the camera up for DV 480i but it's not too complicated.

Return to posts index

Michael Goldsmith
on Nov 28, 2007 at 11:40:40 pm

I think our DVR might do that - it's the JVC SR-DVM700 which can capture DV direct to the hard drive. I'm not sure, however, if I can pull that from the hard drive directly to my editing computer.

Return to posts index

Justin Ferar
on Nov 29, 2007 at 12:49:53 am

No you can't pull it from that hard drive. The DVR records DV which is exactly the same format as shooting to tape so there is no image quality advantage to using the DVR.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]