FORUMS: list search recent posts

JVC Repair Service Nightmare

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Gibbons
JVC Repair Service Nightmare
on Oct 27, 2007 at 4:35:47 pm

Hello all,

I just wanted to document a horror story about trying to get my 20" JVC HD/SD monitor repaired. Hopefully some of you will heed my warning and think twice about buying a JVC product in the future.

First of all, when the monitor went down and you call JVC customer service, there is no one at JVC you can talk to that is directly involved at the repair factory. It is blatantly obvious that their phone tree is designed to prevent you from talking to a real person. After a 1/2 hour of getting disconnected, pushing option numbers, being put on-hold and punching in personal info, I landed at a message that gives you an address to mail in your repair. . . . That's it. No one actually talks to you. No RMA number. You aren't given even a contact name and number that you can put on the shipping label. Just an address. Well considering I was mailing off a $6k piece of hardware I wasn't going to mail it blind. Who the hell would you call if it didn't show up or even if it did? Finally, after bitching to customer service for literally 3 days I got someone at their repair shop to call me - they wouldn't let me call them directly because they didn't want to reveal the number. They said the repair shop didn't take incoming calls. When I talked to the guy, he was kind enough to give me his phone number and email. Looks like they do have a phone system.

Two weeks after they received the monitor I had yet to be contacted about the repair so I called the man whose number I had to fight to get and he told me that it was going to cost $585 to repair and that a replacement circuit board had to be shipped in from Japan. He had no idea how long it would take to receive the board or do the repair. He assured me that "someone at JVC would contact me when the repair was finished".

It's been a month now, no contact from anyone. I have no idea how much longer I'll have to wait. I edit with my little 9" field monitor and it's a serious pain in the ass.

Now I could understand this kind of customer service if we were talking about a $400 consumer VCR- mass production, mass repairs but this monitor with input cards retails for over $6,000! It's a broadcast product for use in a professional environment. Minimal turn-around time on repairs is crucial in our industry. Sony knows it. So does Panasonic. These companies have systems in place to deal with broadcast product repairs. Obviously JVC doesn't.

I own over $100,000 in broadcast equipment. I'm planning to spend another $40,000 on new gear in the next 6 months. I WILL NEVER, NEVER BUY ANOTHER PRODUCT FROM JVC AGAIN.

Tim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]