FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDV timecodes never make it out of the camera?

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Timar
HDV timecodes never make it out of the camera?
on Oct 24, 2007 at 6:34:28 pm

Hi,

We have a GY-HD201E camera, and have not been able to grab the timecode from the HDV tapes recording by the camera. You can see the timecode both on the LCD and on various HDV/M2T capturing utilities and editing softwares, but when you actually capture the m2t files via Firewire, ALL new files created have a fresh timecode on them.

GRRRR... :( Anybody has found a solution to this?

Thanks
David

Return to posts index

Tim Baker
Re: HDV timecodes never make it out of the camera?
on Nov 7, 2007 at 3:40:04 pm

If you are using .m2t files you are not using tape. You must be capturing from a hard drive device.

If that is the case...check the internal settings of the record device and see if the timecode setting is to internal/external or some similar setting.

It sounds like your record device is recording its own timecode and not being fed the info from camera.

Also watch the settings in your conversion software...ie-MpegStreamclip...or whatever you are using, because you could also be messing up the timecode with a setting in these softwares.

Tim

Return to posts index

David Timar
on Nov 7, 2007 at 6:32:10 pm

Hello Tim,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately that's not really the case. Let's forget the fact that we also record sometimes to an external HDD on the camera.

If I record footage with the camera, and I want that footage captured onto my computer, what do I have to do to have the original timecode (seen and recorded on the tape) to actually make it on the captured digital file (M2T)?

As I've said, my situation is clearly odd, since we have 3 JVC cameras, all of them recording the timecode, but we cannot seem to get these recorded timecodes to ever making it on any file that we digitally capture from the camera.

This is not something we are messsing up I think, since we tried resetting the camera many times, tried various capture applications, but even then, nothing. Paralell to this we use a SONY FX1 camera, and we never such problems. We pop the tape in the camera, hook it up to the computer via Firewire, open Sony Vegas and capture. The captured files ALL have the same timecode that was on the captured tapes.

What would you use to capture footage from a JVC camera?

Thanks
David

Return to posts index

Tim Baker
on Nov 7, 2007 at 6:56:42 pm

Hey David,

Strike one for me...lol!

I guess what is confusing me here...and what I think may be your problem...is how are you ending up with an .m2t file at capture?

If you are using a firewire cable from camera to computer...you should be getting .mov or .wmv or whatever. I am not familiar with an editor that captures to .m2t...does Vegas do that?

My usual workflow...with my JVC HD100 is(from tape)...shoot then hook up camera via firewire to computer(Mac) and put FCP into capture mode and set my presets to match how I shot and capture to .mov to hard drive and have never had an issue with TC or much else for that matter.

If I shoot to my nNovia QC Deck HD Recorder...I connect the drive to my Mac...import the clips as their native .m2t put them thru MpegStreamClip to strip off the .m2t wrapper and put a .mov wrapper on so that FCP can then work with them. Then it is a simple import into FCP.

I just stepped thru all my cams menu settings and cannot see anything that should be causing this for you.

Are there any settings in Vegas at capture that would allow you to use existing TC or to re-TC at digi? Just guessing here now since I have no experience with Vegas...other than loosing a lot at the tables...LOL!

I'll keep thinking and researching.

Tim

Tim Baker

Chameleon Mobile Video Productions

(239)849-3295

"It is not the light at the end of the tunnel that we should seek...it is the courage to take the next step in the dark that we must find."

Return to posts index

David Timar
on Nov 7, 2007 at 7:27:46 pm

Hi Tim,

:) Since you are Mac guy, you work with FCP and mov files. In the Windows world, it's either mov or m2t really. I guess I can try to capture mov with some other capture application, but I just don't get it. I used HDVSplit and another smaller standalone application to do nothing more than capture the incoming video from the camera, and so far none of them recorded the timecode that was coming from the camera (even though they saw it). I guess I can try Premiere 3 to do the capturing, but I am not sure it would produce a different result. Also, I just don't want to believe that no other JVC users who edit on a Windows machine, have never come across this problem.

David

Return to posts index

David Timar
on Nov 7, 2007 at 7:51:56 pm

Hi Tim,

Interesting. I just found a small app called DGIndex. This confirmed that the timecode DOES make it out into the M2T files. It's the damn Sony Vegas that cannot read it. Grrrr... I have to write Sony. What the heck, do they think everybody only owns a Sony?

:)

Thanks
David

Return to posts index

Tim Baker
on Nov 7, 2007 at 9:58:45 pm

Hey David,

Sorry to hear it is the software, but it almost had to be from what I was seeing.

Very interesting though, but with Sony...dude they are so arrogant sometimes...like other manufacturers aren't...lol.

Glad you figured it out.

Tim

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Jan 17, 2008 at 5:32:51 pm

I'll add a ferw comments, based on my own experience:
1-The HD110 doess not write timecode when capturing straight to ext-hdd and there is no tape in the drive
2-Sony Vegas has a definite problem with reading m2t clips that don't have a T/C. I experience lots of red frames on the timeline

I've contacted SMS tech support and they claim it's the camera's fault. And yet, Cineform's HDLINK will split the m2t files at scene changes without a hiccup.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]