FORUMS: list search recent posts

shooting in the UK for America...format question

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
gpsmike
shooting in the UK for America...format question
on Oct 2, 2007 at 8:35:09 am

Please excuse my ignorance but that is why i am on this board..to learn from others!

I have lived in PAL land all my life and am pretty new to HDV format.
All our programs have been in PAL format before but a client has asked us to shoot some interview footage for an american client. We won't be editing anything, just shooting and the client will take the tapes back to the USA.

We shoot using our JVC GY HD250's and have only used them with the 720/50P setting. Am i correct in thinking that if i change the VIDEO FORMAT FRAME RATE to 60/30, instead of our usual 50/25, the footage will be in the correct format for USA editors...i will then shoot in 720/60P.

Please correct me if i am wrong... or congratulate me if i have the correct end of the stick!

(I have to ask as i wouldn't want to mess up. In the past we have just said no to shooting for USA due to the differences in NTSC and PAL.)

Return to posts index

Justin Ferar
Re: shooting in the UK for America...format question
on Oct 2, 2007 at 10:51:43 pm

720p60 is the way to go. We broadcast 720p60 (as well as 1080i) in the states. Your client will need the JVC deck or another JVC HD series camera for ingest- currently there is no other option.

Return to posts index

gpsmike
on Oct 3, 2007 at 9:41:53 am

Brilliant. Thank you for your swift response Justin.

I will make sure that our client is aware of the JVC issues involved.

mike

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
Ed Dooley
on Oct 3, 2007 at 6:15:46 pm

I often shoot NTSC in PAL land and have to be very careful of the 50hz
lights in PAL countries (most of them). If you're shooting around flourescents or
gas discharge lights, you'll get a nasty flicker if you aren't careful. Matching shutter speed to the 50hz electricity is the answer. A shutter speed around 50 or 100 takes care of it.
Incandescents aren't usually a problem because they're heat lights, which smooth out the frequency flicker.
HTH,
Ed

Return to posts index

gpsmike
on Oct 4, 2007 at 7:57:22 am

Thanks you for the tip.
I think we are going to end up shooting on our Z1 booted in NTSC mode and SD.
The client doesn't need HDV apparently!
It would make sense for me to have a look at the lighting setup before i mess this up. I'm thinking of using our DEDOs and kino.
Any other tips for me are most welcome.

mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]