FORUMS: list search recent posts

miniDV cam vs. deck

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Santos
miniDV cam vs. deck
on Sep 3, 2007 at 9:45:06 pm

I download/ capture (sorry, don't know the right term to use) from a small consumer miniDV camera attached to my computer. Why would I need a deck? Is it more durable than my camera (as a player)? Someone is selling me a well used deck and I'm wondering if it's worth to buy to replace my small miniDV camera. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Justin Ferar
Re: miniDV cam vs. deck
on Sep 5, 2007 at 11:56:40 pm

Using the camera as a deck just causes more wear & tear on the cameras heads. When it comes time to replace the heads you will have to send your camera in to service. If you are digitizing whole tapes in one shot it's not really an issue. It's more of an issue when batch digitizing many clips from a tape causing a lot of stops and starts.

Return to posts index

Ryan Santos
on Sep 6, 2007 at 2:41:02 am

You mean the deck has a more durable mechanism and can handle a lot of stops and starts? The seller also told me that he just had the deck "realigned" so it's good as new. What does that mean? I know that it's a well used equipment because it has been used by a network.

Return to posts index

Ryan Santos
on Sep 6, 2007 at 2:42:02 am

You mean the deck has a more durable mechanism and can handle a lot of stops and starts? The seller also told me that he just had the deck "realigned" so it's good as new. What does that mean? I know that it's a well used equipment because it has been used by a network.

Return to posts index

Justin Ferar
on Sep 6, 2007 at 4:01:20 am

Realigned is not the same as replaced. Only replaced heads would be as good as new. Traditionaly decks have been made to handle starts and stops better than cameras but the latest prosumer decks tend to use the exact same transport systems as the cameras- makes sense from a manufacturing point of view.

What deck is it?

Return to posts index

Ryan Santos
on Sep 6, 2007 at 5:55:01 am

They didn't tell exactly but it's a JVC two-in-one: SVHS and miniDV capable. Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]