FORUMS: list search recent posts

Z1U or HD110U

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cadge31
Z1U or HD110U
on Aug 27, 2007 at 1:56:19 pm

I am on the cusp of purchasing a new HDV camera. I know most people recommend the HVX200, but the P2 cards are out of the question for my needs.

I am torn between the Sony Z1U and the JVC HD100U. Overall, I really like the features of the JVC, but I am concerned about it being 720 instead of 1080. Is this a big enough issue for me to be concerned with? Also I don't think the JVC can downconvert on the fly to SD like the Sony can. Also to take into consideration is which camera is more compatible with a PC Adobe Production Suite system?

Right now, I have a VX2000 as my primary camera. I would think that my comfort level would be higher with the Z1U, as I am sure it's more similar to the VX2000 than the JVC. Obviously the JVC is a shoulder-mounted camera, which is a big difference.

Basically, what do you people recommend between these two cameras? The Sony Z1U, or the JVC HD100U?

-Aaron

Return to posts index

Craig Meadows
Re: Z1U or HD110U
on Aug 30, 2007 at 5:56:09 pm

It's a toss up really. I started out with a Z1, kept it as a back up and then bought a HD100 as our primary camera. Keep in mind the chips in the JVC are native 720 where Sony is pixel shifting to get to 1080. My personal experience is the JVC is sharper, makes a nicer image and is easier to use. The JVC also has nicer ergonomics being a true shoulder mount, detachable lens camera. With that said I don't think the build quality of the JVC holds up to the Sony. Parts are flimsier and again our experience is the Sony is a bit more robust for regular use. If you have the time to wait I would serioulsy hold out for the Sony XDCAM xe available at the end of the year. While the work-flow is similiar to Pannys P2 the Sony memory cards will be cheaper, hold a alot more and hopefully be more available.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]